Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Local Medical Schools watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a better chance of getting into your local med school than another one somewhere else?

(obviously excluding oxbridge)

ReputationRep:
    nope

as far as i know...

but why excluding oxbridge? those med schools are just as competitive as others.

ReputationRep:
    Not in the slightest for all but a few places at edinburgh (and not many places at all) in my understanding.

ReputationRep:
    We had a thing in the southwest that if you were predicted the right grades for peninsula (and lived in the southwest) then you were gauranteed an interview there. Thats all I know off though.

ReputationRep:
    Well. It was the case a few years ago that Barts and The London was under a fair bit of pressure to take the local 'deprived' scum in preference to quality medical applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ...Panacea...)
    We had a thing in the southwest that if you were predicted the right grades for peninsula (and lived in the southwest) then you were gauranteed an interview there. Thats all I know off though.
    why didnt i know of this before?! daamn. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blonde-beth)
    why didnt i know of this before?! daamn. :p:
    I thought this was common knowledge!! EVERYONE I knew applying for med applied to PMS just so they had at least one interview! Theres also some weird bursary thing you can get aswell if you actually end up going there.

ReputationRep:
    if your med school is down your road, and you are smart enough to go visit it regularly and learnstuff about its specifics then undoubtably this specificity will carry onto your application is you want it to.

IOW, yes if you want it to.

ReputationRep:
    I am told, by Crazyhelicopter, that some schools are (or at least were) linked or affiliated to their local medical school and that this meant that you were guaranteed an interview if you met the basic criteria.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I am told, by Crazyhelicopter, that some schools are (or at least were) linked or affiliated to their local medical school and that this meant that you were guaranteed an interview if you met the basic criteria.
    I think some schools are linked to Cardiff.. Welsh ones obviously..

ReputationRep:
    Dunno, but once you get there, there are all sorts of bursary's and special funds for locals - I keep getting inundated with "If you went to remote-rural-Scottish school, submit your details to receive inordinate amounts of money for free!"

ReputationRep:
    "Not in the slightest" wink wink

ReputationRep:
    Didn't work for me! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I understand your situation.

My local med school (Birmingham) is 40 minutes by train and opposite my current secondary school. I meet the GCSE requirements, so I stand a fair chance of getting an offer from there.

But I probably won't apply (unless UKCAT is very poor) because I think I want to experience a new city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ECHF)
    Do you have a better chance of getting into your local med school than another one somewhere else?

(obviously excluding oxbridge)
    some (very few that i know of) run schemes to encourage people from cirtain areas to study medicine. but generally no.

for example; newcastle run a scheme called parteners. basically you can be predicated BBB at alevel and still be considered for the med school if you go through the parteners scheme. to be a parteners applicant you have to go to a school in the north east (only cirtain schools, none of which are private). you still have to hit the ukcat score and attend and interview but if you pass thoes stages you can recieve a conditional offer of BBB (with condition that you take and pass a intense summer school).
    so technically you have a better chance because the grade threshold is lower than the average applicant but you still have to pass the summer school, ukcat cut off and interview.

i also know ucl will take CCC applicants if they are from a poor london post code.

there are other schools that do similar school but generally no. med schools will go with the best applicants. period. they will prob only know where you are from if you get a interview and have an accent otherwise they do not care.

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield has SOAMS which is its outreach scheme, and it gives a certain of places to 'deprived' applicants in the local area with lower offers through the scheme.

ReputationRep:
    With places like Kings and there extended medical degree (6yrs the one were they make a BBC offer), they give priority to the students in the local london borough's from underachieving comprhensive schools....but not for the main MBBS 5 Medical degree..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    pressure to take the local 'deprived' scum in preference to quality medical applicants.
    Unfair statement to make. Areas of East London area are poor. People there will always have a social mobilty problem...this will help. Plus if your a student whose parents never went to university; on EMA; on free school meals; in an under-achieving comprehensive state school, and stil get an B grade....that means you would easily have the ability to get A* from a private school. If they had the same chance they would be 'quality medical applicants'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramzy91)
    Unfair statement to make. Areas of East London area are poor. People there will always have a social mobilty problem...this will help. Plus if your a student whose parents never went to university; on EMA; on free school meals; in an under-achieving comprehensive state school, and stil get an B grade....that means you would easily have the ability to get A* from a private school. If they had the same chance they would be 'quality medical applicants'.
    Though I don't dispute your point my big issue with such measures is that the A* student with the good background can not possibly achieve better, thus effectively ruling them out.

Social mobility is something to be worked for, not to be given, and besides what is the point in working hard if you cannot buy your children a significant advantage with it.

ReputationRep:
    What about if you were a strong applicant ... would they give you preference over other strong applicants who don't live in the local area?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.