Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm talking about life-long, deep, meaningful friendships. All my life I have always wanted this. I really want to have just ONE friend who could truly be called my best friend, and to have a whole group of girlfriends would be great. I'm 24 and I've never had a group of girlfriends that I go out clubbing, hang out with or stuff like that. To be honest there was always something I disliked about these so-called friends of mine and I'd be itching to ditch them and find better friends. I don't know if it's a problem with ME or THEM. Maybe I'm too critical and picky. But I just keep thinking there are billions of people on earth and there is no reason why I have to get on with these people just because by some random chance, we found ourselves going to the same school in the same building and were put in a classroom together. Outside circumstances brought us together. I hope you get what I mean.

So... I don't know why I never seem to 'click' with anyone. Actually, there are people with who I click, but it always turns sour eventually. I am good at small talk and breaking the ice with people, as I am friendly, but I have trouble opening up and developing the friendship into something deeper. A couple years back I went through some depression and have always battled with low self-esteem. Now I'm almost fully recovered, but the saying "You can't love other people until you love yourself." might apply to me, do you think?
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.