Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just reading through Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_crimes) and I was disgusted at what I was reading; this stuff, although not on rolling systematic programme (or targeting specific sections of soceity), has to be worse than what the Nazi's did?

Few extracts:
    Human experimentation and biological warfare
    Special Japanese military units conducted experiments on civilians and POWs in China. One of the most infamous was Unit 731 under Shirō Ishii. Victims were subjected to vivisection without anesthesia, amputations, and were used to test biological weapons, among other experiments. Anesthesia was not used because it was believed to affect results.
    -Vivisections were performed on prisoners after infecting them with various diseases. Scientists performed invasive surgery on prisoners, removing organs to study the effects of disease on the human body. These were conducted while the patients were alive because it was feared that the decomposition process would affect the results. The infected and vivisected prisoners included men, women, children, and infants.
    -Vivisections were also performed on pregnant women, sometimes impregnated by doctors, and the fetus removed
    -Those limbs that were removed were sometimes re-attached to the opposite sides of the body
    -Some prisoners had their stomachs surgically removed and the esophagus reattached to the intestines
    Other experiments
    -being hung upside down to see how long it would take for them to choke to death
    -having horse urine injected into their kidneys
    -being placed into centrifuges and spun until dead.
    -being buried alive. (Victims included infants.)
    -Flame throwers were tested on humans.

Et al.

"To determine the treatment of frostbite, prisoners were taken outside in freezing weather and left with exposed arms, periodically drenched with water until frozen solid. The arm was later amputated; the doctor would repeat the process on the victim’s upper arm to the shoulder. After both arms were gone, the doctors moved on to the legs until only a head and torso remained. The victim was then used for plague and pathogens experiments"

The major means of getting intelligence was to extract information by interrogating prisoners. Torture was an unavoidable necessity. Murdering and burying them follows naturally. You do it so you won't be found out. I believed and acted this way because I was convinced of what I was doing. We carried out our duty as instructed by our masters. We did it for the sake of our country. From our filial obligation to our ancestors. On the battlefield, we never really considered the Chinese humans. When you're winning, the losers look really miserable. We concluded that the Yamato [i.e. Japanese] race was superior

Cannibalism
    "saw this from behind a tree and watched some of the Japanese cut flesh from his arms, legs, hips, buttocks and carry it off to their quarters... They cut it small pieces and fried it."

In some cases, flesh was cut from living people:
    the Japanese started selecting prisoners and every day one prisoner was taken out and killed and eaten by the soldiers. I personally saw this happen and about 100 prisoners were eaten at this place by the Japanese. The remainder of us were taken to another spot 50 miles [80 km] away where 10 prisoners died of sickness. At this place, the Japanese again started selecting prisoners to eat. Those selected were taken to a hut where their flesh was cut from their bodies while they were alive and they were thrown into a ditch where they later died.

I can't imagine what these people went through :confused:
    How can humans even do such a thing to other humans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakko247)

Cannibalism
    "saw this from behind a tree and watched some of the Japanese cut flesh from his arms, legs, hips, buttocks and carry it off to their quarters... They cut it small pieces and fried it."

the Japanese started selecting prisoners and every day one prisoner was taken out and killed and eaten by the soldiers. I personally saw this happen and about 100 prisoners were eaten at this place by the Japanese. The remainder of us were taken to another spot 50 miles [80 km] away where 10 prisoners died of sickness. At this place, the Japanese again started selecting prisoners to eat. Those selected were taken to a hut where their flesh was cut from their bodies while they were alive and they were thrown into a ditch where they later died.

Was there alternative food available?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    Was there alternative food available?
    Well I'm sure there was, it was the Japanese army after all, they're not exactly going to to starve their own army; that would be counter-productive now wouldn't it.

ReputationRep:
    i heard recently my great uncle was a japanese prisoner of war and when he came home he was 6 stone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    i heard recently my great uncle was a japanese prisoner of war and when he came home he was 6 stone.
    There's another story of Japanese university students being forced to undertake vivisections on US pilots who were captured, all the pilots died after what can only be described as intense tourture and these students were sentenced to death but the sentences were 'commuted' and they were all released by 1955. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    Some people are just thick *****/stupid *****.
    You should probably read what the Imperial Japanese Army did before commenting.

ReputationRep:
    they were to an extent, however due to the fact that there crimes were committed in Asia rather than Europe they are largely ignored I feel in history lessons here

ReputationRep:
    The rape of Nanking. Nasty stuff.

But again; you forget the USSR - Katyn forest massacre anyone? Banks of the river Vistula anyone? Admittedly not as bad but still.

I don't know if I'd say the Nazis or the Japanese imperial army were worse than each other - each was pretty ******* nasty.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm sure there was, it was the Japanese army after all, they're not exactly going to to starve their own army; that would be counter-productive now wouldn't it.
    I thought Japan might be under an embargo so food was scarce.

ReputationRep:
    I was just reading through Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_crimes) and I was disgusted at what I was reading; this stuff, although not on rolling systematic programme (or targeting specific sections of soceity), has to be worse than what the Nazi's did?

Few extracts:
    Special Japanese military units conducted experiments on civilians and POWs in China. One of the most infamous was Unit 731 under Shirō Ishii. Victims were subjected to vivisection without anesthesia, amputations, and were used to test biological weapons, among other experiments. Anesthesia was not used because it was believed to affect results.
    -Vivisections were performed on prisoners after infecting them with various diseases. Scientists performed invasive surgery on prisoners, removing organs to study the effects of disease on the human body. These were conducted while the patients were alive because it was feared that the decomposition process would affect the results. The infected and vivisected prisoners included men, women, children, and infants.
    -Vivisections were also performed on pregnant women, sometimes impregnated by doctors, and the fetus removed
    -Those limbs that were removed were sometimes re-attached to the opposite sides of the body
    -Some prisoners had their stomachs surgically removed and the esophagus reattached to the intestines
    Other experiments
    -being hung upside down to see how long it would take for them to choke to death

Et al.

"To determine the treatment of frostbite, prisoners were taken outside in freezing weather and left with exposed arms, periodically drenched with water until frozen solid. The arm was later amputated; the doctor would repeat the process on the victim’s upper arm to the shoulder. After both arms were gone, the doctors moved on to the legs until only a head and torso remained. The victim was then used for plague and pathogens experiments"

The major means of getting intelligence was to extract information by interrogating prisoners. Torture was an unavoidable necessity. Murdering and burying them follows naturally. You do it so you won't be found out. I believed and acted this way because I was convinced of what I was doing. We carried out our duty as instructed by our masters. We did it for the sake of our country. From our filial obligation to our ancestors. On the battlefield, we never really considered the Chinese humans. When you're winning, the losers look really miserable. We concluded that the Yamato [i.e. Japanese] race was superior

Cannibalism

War cannot be civil. Anyone who thinks it can be is a moron.

ReputationRep:
    Damn :zomg:
    I had no idea that sort of stuff went on.

Quick question, what do they mean by 'biological weapons'? Is it transformers stuff? :eek3:

That's some sick stuff though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    War cannot be civil. Anyone who thinks it can be is a moron.
    There's a difference between being civil and profoundly inhumane.
    There are specified conventions and international decrees on how war is to be conducted; if a country is convicted of breeching these rules they can expect the international community to move against them.

ReputationRep:
    That is really awful...
    In answer to the question, we can always debate about who is worse than who, but in the end, all of the crimes were absolutely inhumane and some even too sickly to think about, nevermind talk about them.
    All we can do is learn from the mistakes made, and reflect on those innocent lives that were lost.

ReputationRep:
    The Axis powers in general were a nasty bunch who didn't really give a **** about human rights.

ReputationRep:
    There's a difference between being civil and profoundly inhumane.
    There are specified conventions and international decrees on how war is to be conducted; if a country is convicted of breeching these rules they can expect the international community to move against them.
    Name one war without "war crimes"? How many have been covered up? How many of them we will never know about from our history books?

When people are willing to kill each other, they will go as far as their conscience will allow them to go and for military minds that boundary will depend on their desperation.

War conventions are only enforced after the war is over...:rolleyes: , by the victors no less

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    Damn :zomg:
    I had no idea that sort of stuff went on.

Quick question, what do they mean by 'biological weapons'? Is it transformers stuff? :eek3:

That's some sick stuff though.
    as in using diseases etc to kill people, they released flesh eating bacteria and the black plague in china :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

Few extracts:
    Other experiments

Et al.

Cannibalism

What about the UK? took away other counties freedom and the cheek to fight for so called feedom in europe! doublestands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    maybe we should model fat camps like japanese prisoner of war camps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chem555)
    What about the UK? took away other counties freedom and the cheek to fight for so called feedom in europe! doublestands.
    But the Opium Wars were not war crimes? LOL

The colonies and slaves were grateful! They were civilized!

ReputationRep:
    In a sense, yes.

(Original post by Malsy)
    Some people are just thick *****/stupid *****.
    Your candour is touching, but this isn't a confessional.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.