Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakko247)
    You keep going off topic, we're not discussing the British, the thread is asking if the Japanese did worse things than the Nazi's.

THERE'S A FUNDAMENTAL DIFFERENCE WITH WHAT THE JAPANESE DID AND WHAT THE BRITISH HAVE DONE! IS THIS HARD TO UNDERSTAND?
    -Cannibalism
    -Extreme torture
    -Burying children alive
    Can you show me where I stated that the British did the exact same things as the Japanese?

ReputationRep:
    oh absolutely yes, the acts committed by unit 731 are the most sickening thing ive heard of

ReputationRep:
    considering the allies let them get away with it though we can be considered just as bad for allowing that to go unpunished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    Can you show me where I stated that the British did the exact same things as the Japanese?
    If you're pulling the pedantic card....
    Can you show me where I stated that you stated the British did the exact same things as the Japanese?

By bringing the British into this thread and commenting and trying to contrast the British colonialisation with Japanses war crimes is comparing the two on the same level which is basically stating that the British did equally or worse things than the Japanese.

ReputationRep:

By bringing the British into this thread
    I didn't, this was the first post about mentioning Britain:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8&postcount=17

and commenting and trying to contrast the British colonialisation with Japanses war crimes is comparing the two on the same level which is basically stating that the British did equally or worse things than the Japanese.
    You were mentioning British crimes so I contributed to the discussion and brought up other points. I didn't mention that they were worse or less than what the Japanese did. In other words I didn't as you claim "contrast" the two as I didn't mention them in relation to Japanese crimes. :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    If you're pulling the pedantic card....
    Can you show me where I stated that you stated the British did the exact same things as the Japanese?

By bringing the British into this thread and commenting and trying to contrast the British colonialisation with Japanses war crimes is comparing the two on the same level which is basically stating that the British did equally or worse things than the Japanese.
    And...the genocide of the Australian Aborigines wasn't that bad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomethingWitty)
    And...the genocide of the Australian Aborigines wasn't that bad?
    Again, can I bring your attention to the title of the thread.

ReputationRep:
    Again, can I bring your attention to the title of the thread.
    Though now you can't deny that British colonisation was any better than the Japanese war crimes, agreed?

ReputationRep:
    Very horrific. Although some of the things i was reading about torture in Chile under Pinochet were equally disgusting, in which doctors were present through the procedure simply to keep the individual alive long enough for him to reach the next stage of torture. And these doctors are practicing to this day.

ReputationRep:
    urgh... i knew the japanese were bad but didn't know they were THAT bad...

ReputationRep:
    Though now you can't deny that British colonisation was any better than the Japanese war crimes, agreed?
    Colonisation was not inherently evil; Japan's WWII experiments were.
    You ought to pay attention to the timeframes of the alleged atrocities committed by the British army which were provoked, if that's the right word, by indigenous peoples repelling the invasion. The British army was not instructed to go and kill as many people as they could, nor were they instructed to undertake scientific research torture.
    In addition, you can't say the British did worse than:

The Japanese slaughtered as many as 30 million Filipinos, Malays, Vietnamese, Cambodians, Indonesians and Burmese, at least 23 million of them ethnic Chinese.

I rest my case.

ReputationRep:
    Colonisation was not inherently evil;
    You're kidding right? Since when has that ever been an excuse? Whatever the motive, the outcome was the same. Just because you feel better for declaring that you didn't mean to destroy a culture, that that was not your intention, that it was a by-product of expanding the empire, does not make it any better than say, declaring a racist motive for removal of land from the local indigenous people.

ReputationRep:
    You're kidding right? Since when has that ever been an excuse? Whatever the motive, the outcome was the same. Just because you feel better for declaring that you didn't mean to destroy a culture, that that was not your intention, that it was a by-product of expanding the empire, does not make it any better than say, declaring a racist motive for removal of land from the local indigenous people.
    Colonisation was great. British culture > native culture.

ReputationRep:
    Israel is worse than Japan and the Nazis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shark67)
    Israel is worse than Japan and the Nazis.
    :rofl:

GTFO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    Colonisation was great. British culture > native culture.
    Don't you ever get flamed into a pit for those types of comments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    :rofl:

GTFO.
    Quoted after 30 seconds. God, you people can't face the truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shark67)
    Quoted after 30 seconds. God, you people can't face the truth.
    :lolz:

ReputationRep:
    The practice of colonisation pre-existed long before the British adopted it, Britain was a product of its environment, it chose the lesser of two evils.
    Either expand or be incorporated into a foreign empire; Britain just happened to be good at colonisation.
    Japan undertook colonisation too, it's not an argument of who's history is filled with the worst atrocities (and if it was Japan would win).
    You have to remember that England has been established for many more centuries than other countries and so its medevil history is bound to be filled with things that would nowadays be considered morally wrong.

ReputationRep:
    The practice of colonisation pre-existed long before the British adopted it, Britain was a product of its environment, it chose the lesser of two evils.
    Either expand or be incorporated into a foreign empire; Britain just happened to be good at colonisation.
    Japan undertook colonisation too, it's not an argument of who's history is filled with the worst atrocities (and if it was Japan would win).
    You have to remember that England has been established for many more centuries than other countries and so its medevil history is bound to be filled with things that would nowadays be considered morally wrong.
    Sure-but it still doesn't change the fact that the genocide of a race is just as 'evil'. Which was my original point.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.