Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomethingWitty)
    Don't you ever get flamed into a pit for those types of comments?
    Nah, people (including those who lived in the colonies) realise the value of evolved democratic institutions. I don't see anyone going back to nomadic tribal subsistence-living after gaining independence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    Nah, people (including those who lived in the colonies) realise the value of evolved democratic institutions. I don't see anyone going back to nomadic tribal subsistence-living after gaining independence.
    Touche. But I asked you whether people flamed you for that type of opinion, rather than why would you think that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakko247)
    I was just reading through Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_crimes) and I was disgusted at what I was reading; this stuff, although not on rolling systematic programme (or targeting specific sections of soceity), has to be worse than what the Nazi's did?

Few extracts:
    Human experimentation and biological warfare
    Special Japanese military units conducted experiments on civilians and POWs in China. One of the most infamous was Unit 731 under Shirō Ishii. Victims were subjected to vivisection without anesthesia, amputations, and were used to test biological weapons, among other experiments. Anesthesia was not used because it was believed to affect results.
    -Vivisections were performed on prisoners after infecting them with various diseases. Scientists performed invasive surgery on prisoners, removing organs to study the effects of disease on the human body. These were conducted while the patients were alive because it was feared that the decomposition process would affect the results. The infected and vivisected prisoners included men, women, children, and infants.
    -Vivisections were also performed on pregnant women, sometimes impregnated by doctors, and the fetus removed
    -Those limbs that were removed were sometimes re-attached to the opposite sides of the body
    -Some prisoners had their stomachs surgically removed and the esophagus reattached to the intestines
    Other experiments
    -being hung upside down to see how long it would take for them to choke to death
    -having horse urine injected into their kidneys
    -being placed into centrifuges and spun until dead.
    -being buried alive. (Victims included infants.)
    -Flame throwers were tested on humans.

Et al.

"To determine the treatment of frostbite, prisoners were taken outside in freezing weather and left with exposed arms, periodically drenched with water until frozen solid. The arm was later amputated; the doctor would repeat the process on the victim’s upper arm to the shoulder. After both arms were gone, the doctors moved on to the legs until only a head and torso remained. The victim was then used for plague and pathogens experiments"

The major means of getting intelligence was to extract information by interrogating prisoners. Torture was an unavoidable necessity. Murdering and burying them follows naturally. You do it so you won't be found out. I believed and acted this way because I was convinced of what I was doing. We carried out our duty as instructed by our masters. We did it for the sake of our country. From our filial obligation to our ancestors. On the battlefield, we never really considered the Chinese humans. When you're winning, the losers look really miserable. We concluded that the Yamato [i.e. Japanese] race was superior

Cannibalism
    "saw this from behind a tree and watched some of the Japanese cut flesh from his arms, legs, hips, buttocks and carry it off to their quarters... They cut it small pieces and fried it."

In some cases, flesh was cut from living people:
    the Japanese started selecting prisoners and every day one prisoner was taken out and killed and eaten by the soldiers. I personally saw this happen and about 100 prisoners were eaten at this place by the Japanese. The remainder of us were taken to another spot 50 miles [80 km] away where 10 prisoners died of sickness. At this place, the Japanese again started selecting prisoners to eat. Those selected were taken to a hut where their flesh was cut from their bodies while they were alive and they were thrown into a ditch where they later died.

I can't imagine what these people went through :confused:
    How can humans even do such a thing to other humans?

Nazi pain Experements, they basically froze Hollicoust victums to death in order to establish pain threashold, the results are still used by nasatoday to send people to space.

I was going to write a balanced argument to counter argue this but woah. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Why do you hate Japan so much! Like we've never done anything just as bad! Every country is guilty of awful crimes - every one!

ReputationRep:
    if all of that is actually true then good god yes

ReputationRep:
    Colonisation was great. British culture > native culture.
    I agree for all it's faults I am bloody glad that Britain and not Yemen say or even other European powers like Germany shaped the planet. Plus it gave us international cricket, New Zealand and allowed my family to move to Britain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomethingWitty)
    Sure-but it still doesn't change the fact that the genocide of a race is just as 'evil'. Which was my original point.
    Well I don't know about this alleged genocide, nor have I ever heard of it, and I am British and I wouldn't consider myself generally ignorant.
    I am willing to bet though that the genocide did not actually happen and you haven't exactly called it an attempted genocide.....and furthermore, I am willing to hazard a guess, based on the British ethos if you like, that the 'genocide' you're claiming, was the resultant effect of the aboriginals resisting the British and not the British strategically colonising Austrailia for the sole intention of committing genocide.

In addition, I don't recall an instance where the British were slaughtering another race claiming that the British were the master race (don't cite the slave trade here as that is not the same) which is what both Germany and Japan have done (refer to original post).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i bet in hindsight the 10 million indigenous Americans slaughtered really appreciate the quasi-democratic institutions established after their conquest. Oh and they weren't hunter-gatherers but sedantary.

ReputationRep:
    This was all done according by proceedure in the name of scientific research! I think it was reasonable, not some "war crime". This was western propaganda lies. Japan did not do anything wrong.

ReputationRep:
    World War II was pretty horrific on all sides.

While the Axis powers were undoubtedly worse regardless of how you look at it, the Allies have their fair share of controversy in WWII. Dresden, for a start. If that wasn't a war crime then I don't know what is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)

While the Axis powers were undoubtedly worse regardless of how you look at it, the Allies have their fair share of controversy in WWII. Dresden, for a start. If that wasn't a war crime then I don't know what is.
    Exactly gaijin, the Westerners were REAL monsters.

Island hopping and nuclear bombs... never forget :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishii Shiro)

Oh, and the Japs were shiny happy loveable folk, who liked nothing better than starving and torturing prisoners and civilians to wile away the hours.

ReputationRep:

Well can I just say, as I have about 10 times already in this thread.....

That the bombing from the skies of a enemy city is foremost intended to cripple the infrastructure of a country, not to inflict civilian casualties (this is an unfortunate consequence of war) but there is a distinct difference between that being classified as a war crime and the systematic and deliberate extreme torture of single individuals which is designed so that the victim does not survive. I can't imagine what these people went through.

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't know about this alleged genocide, nor have I ever heard of it, and I am British and I wouldn't consider myself generally ignorant.
    I am willing to bet though that the genocide did not actually happen and you haven't exactly called it an attempted genocide.....and furthermore, I am willing to hazard a guess, based on the British ethos if you like, that the 'genocide' you're claiming, was the resultant effect of the aboriginals resisting the British and not the British strategically colonising Austrailia for the sole intention of committing genocide.
    one example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7eubc-Yk3M

Happy watching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by micky022)
    Oh, and the Japs were shiny happy loveable folk, who liked nothing better than starving and torturing prisoners and civilians to wile away the hours.
    Prove it European man, your people were racist through and through before they had to change to stop being hypocrits. Japan was alot more tolerant of gays and jews in history. Most Nippon were ashamed to have nazis as allies.

Nihon is most honourable country in the world :proud:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilson_smith)
    Yeah, i bet in hindsight the 10 million indigenous Americans slaughtered really appreciate the quasi-democratic institutions established after their conquest. Oh and they weren't hunter-gatherers but sedantary.
    I don't know which is the most retarded bit of your post.. the insertion of an hugely debated and largely unknown statistic as solid fact, the assertion that America is only quasi-democratic or the belief that North America and its native population was the only region Europeans colonised.

ReputationRep:
    Well can I just say, as I have about 10 times already in this thread.....

That the bombing from the skies of a enemy city is foremost intended to cripple the infrastructure of a country, not to inflict civilian casualties (this is an unfortunate consequence of war) but there is a distinct difference between that being classified as a war crime and the systematic and deliberate extreme torture of single individuals which is designed so that the victim does not survive. I can't imagine what these people went through.
    War crimes do not have to be committed with intent. I have no doubt that Bomber Command had the best of intentions in trying to knock out a major industrial hub of Nazi Germany, but not only did they fail to inflict sufficient damage on their targets, they killed more than 18,000 civilians in a few nights through using incendiary weapons rather than normal explosives.

IMHO, Dresden amounts to a war crime.

ReputationRep:

Now hold on - I think you missed the part where I said that the Axis powers were the worst.

I don't agree with the use of atomic or nuclear weaponry, but at least that was done with some strategic aim rather than as an afterthought, like the massacre of Nanking.

ReputationRep:
    Prove it European man, your people were racist through and through before they had to change to stop being hypocrits. Japan was alot more tolerant of gays and jews in history. Most Nippon were ashamed to have nazis as allies.

Nihon is most honourable country in the world :proud:
    So did British forces conduct vivisection without anaesthetic on women and children?

Strange view of honour you have, captain troll.

ReputationRep:
    Now hold on - I think you missed the part where I said that the Axis powers were the worst.

I don't agree with the use of atomic or nuclear weaponry, but at least that was done with some strategic aim rather than as an afterthought, like the massacre of Nanking.
    There is a big lie about Nanking - it was the other way around, there was nasty riot against innocent Japanese civilians and many were raped by Chinese - the army had to step in to stop the rioters. It is western conspiracy.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.