Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    War crimes do not have to be committed with intent. I have no doubt that Bomber Command had the best of intentions in trying to knock out a major industrial hub of Nazi Germany, but not only did they fail to inflict sufficient damage on their targets, they killed more than 18,000 civilians in a few nights through using incendiary weapons rather than normal explosives.

IMHO, Dresden amounts to a war crime.
    Are you for real?
    Germany was trying to colonise the entire world and they nearly suceeded. Do you think Hitler had any moral obligations when fighting the allies?
    Extreme force was required and nothing less. It's an atrocity yes, but a necessary one considering the intentions of Germany and what they were doing to their own citizens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishii Shiro)
    There is a big lie about Nanking - it was the other way around, there was nasty riot against innocent Japanese civilians and many were raped by Chinese - the army had to step in to stop the rioters. It is western conspiracy.
    Are you for real? :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by micky022)
    So did British forces conduct vivisection without anaesthetic on women and children?

Strange view of honour you have, captain troll.
    You don't know what you talking about, those experiments were done on willing participants and also American casualties. We would give POWs freedom if they agreed to experiments

ReputationRep:
    You didn't mention the several rape camps set up by the Japanese Imperial Army, where Japanese soldiers went to **** little girls whenever they were horny.

Exactly gaijin, the Westerners were REAL monsters.

Island hopping and nuclear bombs... never forget :mad:
    Island hopping was merely a war tactic, just like any the Japanese used: it was not an atrocity: barely any people died. Don't forget who started the war by bombing Pearl Harbour.

The experiments carried out on live prisoners (including women and children) are recorded in Japanese history. It's not propaganda, you idiot. We only know so much detail about it through Japanese recordings...

The nuclear bombing was necessary to stop the Japanese, and it worked. A few hundred thousand Japanese lives lost was dwarfed in comparison to the amount of Koreans, Chinese, Philippinos and Malaysians massacred and raped by the Imperial Army.

My mother is from Malaysia (not a gaijin, or Western country) and I've heard so many tales there of atrocities inflicted by the Japanese. They still hate the Japanese, and many Japanese tourists are advised against visiting certain parts of Malaysia. Meanwhile, they have a lot of praise for the Allied Forces coming to save them.

" Xiao Wenhu was a young Chinese boy living in Malaysia when Japanese soldiers came to his village in 1942.

"We were terrified, people were so scared. We all fell to our knees. We called out to them to spare our lives. The Japanese soldiers were plunging their bayonets into everybody, stabbing again and again. By around 6pm all became quiet. Everyone was dead," he said. "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tetrahydro)
    You didn't mention the several rape camps set up by the Japanese Imperial Army, where Japanese soldiers went to **** little girls whenever they were horny.

Island hopping was merely a war tactic, just like any the Japanese used: it was not an atrocity: barely any people died. Don't forget who started the war by bombing Pearl Harbour.

The experiments carried out on live prisoners (including women and children) are recorded in Japanese history. It's not propaganda, you idiot. We only know so much detail about it through Japanese recordings...

The nuclear bombing was necessary to stop the Japanese, and it worked. A few hundred thousand Japanese lives lost was dwarfed in comparison to the amount of Koreans, Chinese, Philippinos and Malaysians massacred and raped by the Imperial Army.

My mother is from Malaysia (not a gaijin, or Western country) and I've heard so many tales there of atrocities inflicted by the Japanese. They still hate the Japanese, and many Japanese tourists are advised against visiting certain parts of Malaysia. Meanwhile, they have a lot of praise for the Allied Forces coming to save them.
    Outrageous slander and lies... you INSULT the Japanese empire :mad:

Produce evidence or go to Hell :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakko247)
    Are you for real?
    Germany was trying to colonise the entire world and they nearly suceeded. Do you think Hitler had any moral obligations when fighting the allies?
    Extreme force was required and nothing less. It's an atrocity yes, but a neccessary one considering the intentions of Germany and what they were doing to their own citizens.
    It was retaliation against the Blitz and served little strategic importance, nothing more. Churchill was actually against it because it lowered them to Germany's level.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the reports were pure propaganda and could not be proven. History is not always what it seems some people change history for their own interest.

ReputationRep:
    Prove it European man, your people were racist through and through before they had to change to stop being hypocrits. Japan was alot more tolerant of gays and jews in history. Most Nippon were ashamed to have nazis as allies.

Nihon is most honourable country in the world :proud:
    Didn't you know that during the 1930s, the Japanese believed the Yamato race was superior, and that the whole of Asia belonged to them?

ReputationRep:
    Outrageous slander and lies... you INSULT the Japanese empire :mad:

Produce evidence or go to Hell :indiff:

The bit about the little girls is true though... but we have more liberal idea of love, little girls got paid for what they did
    Well, the Japanese won't apologise or acknowledge most of the atrocities. But even so, many Chinese, Koreans, Philippinos and Malaysians still hate you, and I've experienced this first hand. Some of my relatives were massacred by the Japanese, so I find it insulting that you are trying to make out that the forces who saved us were worse than the Imperial Army.

Who's worse: the Japanese. Why? Because, at least the Germans have acknowledged their atrocities and apologised for them.

ReputationRep:
    Are you for real?
    Extreme force was required and nothing less. It's an atrocity yes, but a necessary one considering the intentions of Germany and what they were doing to their own citizens.
    What constitutes a war crime is not defined by the winner or altered by the ultimate end to which it is committed. It makes no difference how bad the victims were or how good the end result is.

I'm not saying Dresden was or wasn't a war crime, just that "we were the good guys" is not a legitimate argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandaboo)
    Didn't you know that during the 1930s, the Japanese believed the Yamato race was superior, and that the whole of Asia belonged to them?
    Yes it does, and still should.... America denied that dream with their evil capitalism :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does, and still should.... America denied that dream with their evil capitalism :mad:
    oops, I've been arguing with a troll...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vroom9)
    It was retaliation against the Blitz and served little strategic importance, nothing more. Churchill was actually against it because it lowered them to Germany's level.
    Demoralising the population and removing popular support for Hitler is of stategic importance. Considering how the war Hitler was waging was not intrinsically nationalistic, it was an expansionist one too, implemented through revanchism (stemming from the ToV which was admittedly overly harsh) - It was important to show the Germans that they were going to lose more than they would win.

I'm sure Hitler and Goering (if resources were available) would have no objections to the Luftwaffe extensively and unnecessarily bombing a city such as London even with prior knowledge that the event would be considered the greatest war crime in history.

Sometimes you have to play dirty, this is especially true when your advisary is one such as Hitler - for whom the ends always justify the means.

ReputationRep:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

keep dreaming.

ReputationRep:
    I love you showed that one picture of an Allied soldier with a dead Jap. How about the Nanjing massacre carried out by the Japanese?

ReputationRep:
    You don't know what you talking about, those experiments were done on willing participants and also American casualties. We would give POWs freedom if they agreed to experiments
    Obvious troll is obvious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Preasure)
    What constitutes a war crime is not defined by the winner or altered by the ultimate end to which it is committed. It makes no difference how bad the victims were or how good the end result is.

I'm not saying Dresden was or wasn't a war crime, just that "we were the good guys" is not a legitimate argument.
    Well I believe that for an event to be classified as a war crime there must be sinister motives to and deliberate causation of civilian death and I dont consider that to be the case here.(It sounds terrible to write or say but the pilots releasing the bombs were impersonal from the killings, they had no idea that the particular bomb was going to kill certain people and after the Blitz there was justification to retaliate).
    Considering what Hitler was attempting, I think there's little justification in saying we acted too harshly in this event because if the allies had not acted in the way that they did we would all be writing and speaking German right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shark67)
    Quoted after 30 seconds. God, you people can't face the truth.
    You're an *******.

ReputationRep:
    Demoralising the population and removing popular support for Hitler is of stategic importance. Considering how the war Hitler was waging was not intrinsically nationalistic, it was an expansionist one too, implemented through revanchism (stemming from the ToV which was admittedly overly harsh) - It was important to show the Germans that they were going to lose more than they would win.

I'm sure Hitler and Goering (if resources were available) would have no objections to the Luftwaffe extensively and unnecessarily bombing a city such as London even with prior knowledge that the event would be considered the greatest war crime in history.

Sometimes you have to play dirty, this is especially true when your advisary is one such as Hitler - for whom the ends always justify the means.
    It would have only have served the purposes of increasing propaganda against us. Hitler and Goering wouldnt have cared because they considered this a total war of whole nations fighting rather than armed forces fighting. Terror raids based on retaliations served little purpose other than to increase soldier morale, it would have done little to halt Germanys advancements. It can be justified through desperation but that doesnt mean they shouldnt have been ashamed of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    hugely debated and largely unknown statistic as solid fact
    I took the contemporary consensus, and no it isn't debated to the degree it used to be. The opposition to the Churchill / Stannard line doesn't make their estimation significantly lower by the way.

America is only quasi-democratic
    I didn't think people thought otherwise, are you even familiar with the system? However this is irrelevant to the point at hand so i won't digress.

North America and its native population was the only region Europeans colonised
    Didn't say anything of the like

I like how you averted the actual statement

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.