Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Human interaction doesn't seem that nice and pleasent... when you look too deep... watch

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I do things with friends that don't benefit me at all. I call this friendship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Not all comments on this thread is an attack on me as an individual. There are people here that agree or share their views.

They however are different in the sense, that they didn't feel the need to attack another individual on the internet. What I want to know, why the hell do you do it? What purpose are you trying to achieve by belittling me or anybody else? Would you do it to your family? NO. Then why the hell do it to me?

You think people telling me that my thread/thoughts are stupid, is not going to have an effect on me? Truth is, you are personally attacking my thoughts even if you are just another person on the internet.
    No, seriously. Grow up. This is the internet. If you can't handle it, move your mouse to the top right hand corner of the screen and click that pretty white cross in the red box. It will make you feel much better and all the nasty people will dissapear.

ReputationRep:
    So I feel like I've been thinking way too much on the topic of friendship...

Why am I friends with people?
    Do people have to be interesting?
    Can people cease to be interesting?
    Am I just looking for closeness?
    Why do people want to be close?
    Is it selfish?

because i feel lonely without them
    yes,or else ill blank them
    yes
    yes
    someone to interact with rather then family
    no

stop thinking way too into it

(Original post by Bslforever)
    Not everyone has an issue. This is because there is no issue to be had. The people who have an issue have created it for themselves.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe YOU are a selfish person, and as a result, your friendships are selfish. Therefore this thread is about YOUR human interactions, not everyone else's.

You don't need education. You need to sack up and handle life like everyone else. I would take pity on you, i would be sympathetic and i am generally quite an apathetic person. However you have no problem. You need no help. You just need to grow up.
    Why do you think I wrote "Is this selfishness?"
    I am already battling with the issue that I'm a selfish individual and that causes alot of conflict within myself, when I don't want to be a selfish individual. Hence I started a thread: Asking whether I was being selfish...

Am I being selfish when I want comfort from another friend, when I know that they like me romantically, yet am uncertain of my own feelings towards them.

Am I selfish when I select who I want to spend time with, rejecting those that I don't think are so interesting. From that perspective, I'm essentially using another individual for my own benefit. Sure it's mutually beneficial but I have a huge problem with the idea of using others.

Sure, it's an issue because I see it as an issue. You don't see it as an issue/see things the same way so don't experience it as a problem. Grow up? Yeah I'd do that if I could get around this issue, but that's the whole point in starting this thread, I can't solve the issue by myself and am seeking insight from others, except instead I was met with insults.

Meh. I've always known I've had unrealistic expectations on myself, and the wrong need to be perfect in order to accept myself.

No, seriously. Grow up. This is the internet. If you can't handle it, move your mouse to the top right hand corner of the screen and click that pretty white cross in the red box. It will make you feel much better and all the nasty people will dissapear.
    Honestly I'm not that sensitive.

But it pisses me off when people come into a thread throwing attacks. I always think to myself. Why the hell do people do it? What purpose are they trying to achieve with this?

Do people honestly need to do it?

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think I wrote "Is this selfishness?"
    I am already battling with the issue that I'm a selfish individual and that causes alot of conflict within myself, when I don't want to be a selfish individual. Hence I started a thread: Asking whether I was being selfish...

Am I being selfish when I want comfort from another friend, when I know that they like me romantically, yet am uncertain of my own feelings towards them.

Am I selfish when I select who I want to spend time with, rejecting those that I don't think are so interesting. From that perspective, I'm essentially using another individual for my own benefit. Sure it's mutually beneficial but I have a huge problem with the idea of using others.

Sure, it's an issue because I see it as an issue. You don't see it as an issue/see things the same way so don't experience it as a problem. Grow up? Yeah I'd do that if I could get around this issue, but that's the whole point in starting this thread, I can't solve the issue by myself and am seeking insight from others, except instead I was met with insults.

Meh. I've always known I've had unrealistic expectations on myself, and the wrong need to be perfect in order to accept myself.
    That was almost too long to bother with, but since you are such a lonely individual, i thought i would persevere.

Get over it by realising that

your problem does not exist and is a product of you overthinking every single situation in your life. Stop thinking and live like a normal person.

I understand what you mean...but it brings happiness, so who cares.

(Original post by flowermaster91)
    because i feel lonely without them
    You feel lonely without people- So you make friends to benefit yourself eh?

----

All actions we take in life are to ensure our survival and pass on our gene. This includes friendships. In a way, everything we do is 'selfish'.

I the negative connotation of selfish as "taking something to enhance yourself whilst damaging others" is where people are getting confused.

A better word is needed than 'selfish' but we can't ignore, the body and mind (and hence actions we take in life) have evolved to pass on our gene. And to do this, we all need human interaction, whether we are able to understand the above or not.

Stop thinking and live like a normal person.
    Wow.. Just wow. You deserve a medal.

ReputationRep:

----

All actions we take in life are to ensure our survival and pass on our gene. This includes friendships. In a way, everything we do is 'selfish'.

I the negative connotation of selfish as "taking something to enhance yourself whilst damaging others" is where people are getting confused.

A better word is needed than 'selfish' but we can't ignore, the body and mind (and hence actions we take in life) have evolved to pass on our gene. And to do this, we all need human interaction, whether we are able to understand the above or not.
    Yes i feel lonely without people but there are times when I just want to be by myself like now It has nothing to do with benefiting myself :pierre:

(Original post by flowermaster91)
    Yes i feel lonely without people but there are times when I just want to be by myself like now It has nothing to do with benefiting myself :pierre:
    Sorry I don't really understand your point negates mine

Can we end all the insulting guys- it really achieves nothing. General ignorance in this frankly interesting philosophical thought is not really helpful.

ReputationRep:

Can we end all the insulting guys- it really achieves nothing. General ignorance in this frankly interesting philosophical thought is not really helpful.
    I dont even know what to say

ReputationRep:

----

Im sorry, but i fail to see how friendship ensures our survival and passes on our genes (yes, genes is plural. we have more than one gene mr.biology). Unless of course you only are friends with members of the opposite sex and you have unprotected sex with all of them.

We do not need friends to pass on our genes. We do not need friends at all to pass on our genes. We need partners.

Put it this way. You seem to like biology. Do cats make friends with each other to pass on their genes? No? How about dogs? Goldfish? Horses? Cows? No?

Thats because it is not neccessary at all.

ReputationRep:

This hardly counts as philosophy. Its not interesting either. Its kinda sad.

ReputationRep:
    Im sorry, but i fail to see how friendship ensures our survival and passes on our genes (yes, genes is plural. we have more than one gene mr.biology). Unless of course you only are friends with members of the opposite sex and you have unprotected sex with all of them.

We do not need friends to pass on our genes. We do not need friends at all to pass on our genes. We need partners.

Put it this way. You seem to like biology. Do cats make friends with each other to pass on their genes? No? How about dogs? Goldfish? Horses? Cows? No?

Thats because it is not neccessary at all.
    you're making yourself look stupid with posts like this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou Reed)
    you're making yourself look stupid with posts like this
    How so? What evolutionary benefit does friendship have in our modern society?

ReputationRep:
    Human interaction in the strict sense of the phrase is a natural characteristic of the human species. It's therefore important for ourselves and the society around us. Whether it's pleasant or not it depends on the situation in question.

I think that you talking friendship though and I know what you mean. There is however an exception to this. It's called love. When your in love with someone you would bother having these questions cause you'll have no doubts. Love ill make you blind. Caution not to fall into the abyss!

ReputationRep:
    How so? What evolutionary benefit does friendship have in our modern society?
    Humans, and most other species, would be nowhere if they had not learned to work together and co-operate for the benefit of the group as a whole; a reciprocal relationship. In modern society it's not as obvious, but still present.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou Reed)
    Humans, and most other species, would be nowhere if they had not learned to work together and co-operate for the benefit of the group as a whole; a reciprocal relationship. In modern society it's not as obvious, but still present.
    *sigh*

Of course we learned to co-operate. I still fail to see how co-operation = friendship, but still.

In evolutionary terms, if i want to pass on my genes, i can pop along to the nearest sperm back, dontate and hey presto, evolutionary job done. I even get paid. Social skills/friendship needed = 0.

ReputationRep:
    *sigh*

Of course we learned to co-operate. I still fail to see how co-operation = friendship, but still.

In evolutionary terms, if i want to pass on my genes, i can pop along to the nearest sperm back, dontate and hey presto, evolutionary job done. I even get paid. Social skills/friendship needed = 0.
    Don't be so narrow minded. You mentioned cats, dogs, horses etc. in your first post, I don't suppose they have a sperm bank too? And how long have humans had one for that matter?

The mere presence of a social hierarchy in most species should be evidence enough that social skills are necessary for the survival of a species.

(going to bed now, shall reply to you tomorrow)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.