Turn on thread page Beta

A question regarding A levels to Degrees in the finance sector. watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, This is a quesiton to those in the finance/accounting sector.

At the moment I would like to work as an accountant or banker.

What A levels are best to choose for bankers?? In my potential sixth form, there is no accountancy course to take.
    SO, I will be taking (at the moment):

Maths, Economics, politics and physics
    OR
    Maths, Economics, Philosophy and politics
    OR
    Maths, Economics, Philosophy and politics.

What A levels are best to take, leading up to a degree?

Im thinking of (when i leave college) applying for a course taking a Maths and Economics Degree- is this advisable for becoming a banker??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RVS2009)

What A levels are best to choose for bankers?? In my potential sixth form, there is no accountancy course to take.

OR
    OR

Im thinking of (when i leave college) applying for a course taking a Maths and Economics Degree- is this advisable for becoming a banker??
    Options 2 and 3 are the same. Did you mean Philoshopy and physics?

I'd properly advise the physics if you want to do a Maths and Physics Degree and the 4th choice up to you. Then again all would be fine I guess.

ReputationRep:
    im almost finished my alevels, got offers from 3 out of 5 accounting and finance courses i applied to with maths, physics, D+T and applied business.

i found Applied business gave me a good insight into the world of finance. Also, dont narrow down your options too much at the start of your your a-levels; at the beginning of 6form i was determined that i wanted to be an engineering officer in RAF - hence the subject choices - luckily mine give me a range of options. maths + physics will get you onto most courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Options 2 and 3 are the same. Did you mean Philoshopy and physics?

I'd properly advise the physics if you want to do a Maths and Physics Degree and the 4th choice up to you. Then again all would be fine I guess.
    Yea i meant philos and physics

im only interested in physics, but i dont know if i FAIL (which is possible considering college grades) it will damage my uni application?

ReputationRep:

OR
    OR

I started AS with Maths, Physics, Politics and Economics, for me it was the perfect combination - loved it. I dropped the politics to finish 3 A levels but now I'm taking an AS in Further Maths during my A2 year - applied for Physics at Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threl)
    I started AS with Maths, Physics, Politics and Economics, for me it was the perfect combination - loved it. I dropped the politics to finish 3 A levels but now I'm taking an AS in Further Maths during my A2 year - applied for Physics at Uni.
    Awesome. I'll probably do that, BUT:

Im wondering- what grade did you get in Physics and how hard was it- and:

What kind of stuff do you do in AS & A Level (AS particularly). Im really really wondering what you did lol. (curious)

ReputationRep:
    Awesome. I'll probably do that, BUT:

Im wondering- what grade did you get in Physics and how hard was it- and:

What kind of stuff do you do in AS & A Level (AS particularly). Im really really wondering what you did lol. (curious)
    Sorry for taking time to get back to you.

I got an A in Physics in the end. I found it quite difficult because all my teachers have us do is aimlessly copy notes from the board without actually explaining them (I would prefer they print us out their copy, and spent the time explaining them), so i self taught most out the book. It seems hard at first, but if you give it time and keep at it it comes.

I was finding A2 a problem with the teaching problem noted above, but I got hold of another advanced text book which helps clear up anything i don't understand in the AQA one, although still got loads to do if I want to do well in June including loads of question practice.

Fortunately we did Maths M1 during my AS year which crossed over alot with AQA Physics - took the pressure off abit.

If you want to know what we did in Physics: basically AS was a unit on Particles and Electricity. Quite interesting, alot of my friends prefer particle to mechanics whereas I like Mechanics more. The second unit is mostly Mechanics that you do in Maths, so Newton's laws, Moments, projectiles, Waves, Diffraction of light, elasticity of materials.

A2: Fields (gravitational and electric) - i found these quite hard at first to link all the different things together but they're really interesting. Uniform circular motion, not bad, momentum, Magnetic Fields of course and Capacitance. The other unit at A2 consists of Nuclear Energy, radioactive decay, thermal energy, kinetic theory of gases, then you or your school chooses an option module, from Astrophysics, More Mechanics, Turning points in Physics and Medical Physics.

Politics was good, I had a great teacher who brought it alot into current affairs, really enjoyed the subject but decided to drop it to continue 3 A Levels, although doing an AS in Further Maths now so effectively 4 again.

Economics has been really good, its very logical and I've always been interested in Business in general and I just think its a great subject to have.

Whichever of those 3 options you choose, I imagine your school/college will be flexible in the first few weeks, I changed Geography to Politics after the first 2 weeks.

Good luck, any questions, just ask!

ReputationRep:
    Pick Maths and Economics and the other two that you are most interested in/will get best grades in. Universities are not likely to care whether you've done physics or philosophy at A level, as long as you've got decent grades. Also, I wouldn't get too ahead of yourself dreaming about becoming a banker - you might finish your A levels and realise you hate maths and don't really understand the economics and would prefer to spend your life as a philosopher reading books over coffee in Paris!

Maths and econ will stand you in good stead for a wide range of possibilities, politics too, I guess.

Alternatively, take up all 5 and drop the one you like the least (or keep it on if you can handle the work).

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.