Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I had an offer last year for southampton but missed my grades. I then reapplied (after resitting the problem module) and was rejected on friday just gone. I still want to do medicine, in fact I want to do it more than ever so the only viable option I can see is graduate entry. However I am very worried about the level of competition and whether or not I stand a good chance at getting in as I did originally. For those of you who are on graduate courses did you find that there are a lot of people on the course who had missed their grades at A Level? How much extra experience do I need to get? How much work did you have to put in relative to an A Level application? After this gap year I know what I want now and that is medicine I just don't know how. One of the most worrying things for me though is the financial side. For a number of reasons I would like to apply to one GEM and 3 5 years or 2GEM and 2 5yr but if i have to do a 5year what funding options are available. Ive heard that on 5yrs there is no help with funding which is concerning me. Ive hear dof professional sudies loans but what els eis there?

ReputationRep:
    For the 5 year, there's pretty much zilch in terms of non-private support, as far as I'm aware. I for one simply can't afford to take up a 5-year offer and I'm only applying for 4 year GEPs.

As for work experience, you'd have a longer period of time to accumulate it and I would imagine more would be expected, particularly longer-term involvement.

In terms of work put in for the application, unless you're going to take a gap between your first degree, you'll have to do it while preparing for exams, essays and your research project.

ReputationRep:
    chack this.... not sure how up to date it is though.

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=241

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elsa10)
    I had an offer last year for southampton but missed my grades. I then reapplied (after resitting the problem module) and was rejected on friday just gone. I still want to do medicine, in fact I want to do it more than ever so the only viable option I can see is graduate entry. However I am very worried about the level of competition and whether or not I stand a good chance at getting in as I did originally. For those of you who are on graduate courses did you find that there are a lot of people on the course who had missed their grades at A Level? How much extra experience do I need to get? How much work did you have to put in relative to an A Level application? After this gap year I know what I want now and that is medicine I just don't know how. One of the most worrying things for me though is the financial side. For a number of reasons I would like to apply to one GEM and 3 5 years or 2GEM and 2 5yr but if i have to do a 5year what funding options are available. Ive heard that on 5yrs there is no help with funding which is concerning me. Ive hear dof professional sudies loans but what els eis there?

Hey, Im in my 2nd year so I missed my grades for Soton, I then went on an acess course (Bradford Clin Sci) although I got rejected for Leeds Medicine, I now am currently on this degree programme to try and get through to GEM.

Get a 2.1 or 1.1, try and keep trying.

Tbh, you have no other choice but to do a degree? Either go on an acess course to medicine or do a good life science based degree...

just stop wasting time get onto a degree programme as soon as you can.

I recckon there's a lot of people doing medicine as a grad... Hull York have 33 % grads and Barts 25% similar statistics to another unis, depends where you go.

Just dont obsess over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    For the 5 year, there's pretty much zilch in terms of non-private support, as far as I'm aware. I for one simply can't afford to take up a 5-year offer and I'm only applying for 4 year GEPs.

As for work experience, you'd have a longer period of time to accumulate it and I would imagine more would be expected, particularly longer-term involvement.

In terms of work put in for the application, unless you're going to take a gap between your first degree, you'll have to do it while preparing for exams, essays and your research project.
    Dont you think w/e is a little overrated? Perhaps people who do too much need to realise that there is only so much you can write on a ucas form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutta!)
    Dont you think w/e is a little overrated? Perhaps people who do too much need to realise that there is only so much you can write on a ucas form
    i think there should be an extra section on the ucas for for med applicants for relivant work experiance and what you learnt then the PS could be about why you wanna do medicine.

i think med school that hand out questionaires have the right idea.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper

Wrong. OP, You'll get the basic maintenance loan, but no tuition fee loan even if you apply for undergraduate level medicine.

Sorry to hear you didn't get your offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    i think med school that hand out questionaires have the right idea.
    Agree with this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowbex)
    Wrong. OP, You'll get the basic maintenance loan, but no tuition fee loan even if you apply for undergraduate level medicine.
    Oh yeah, forgot about maintenance.

Not really, seeing as the UCAS form isn't the only place work exp is useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    i think there should be an extra section on the ucas for for med applicants for relivant work experiance and what you learnt then the PS could be about why you wanna do medicine.
    No, no and no. That is the worst idea I have ever heard. Ever.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Oh yeah, forgot about maintenance.

Not really, seeing as the UCAS form isn't the only place work exp is useful.
    Most post-grad degree's don't make you eligble for the maintenance though

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Im in my 2nd year so I missed my grades for Soton, I then went on an acess course (Bradford Clin Sci) although I got rejected for Leeds Medicine, I now am currently on this degree programme to try and get through to GEM.

Get a 2.1 or 1.1, try and keep trying.

Tbh, you have no other choice but to do a degree? Either go on an acess course to medicine or do a good life science based degree...

just stop wasting time get onto a degree programme as soon as you can.

I recckon there's a lot of people doing medicine as a grad... Hull York have 33 % grads and Barts 25% similar statistics to another unis, depends where you go.

Just dont obsess over it.
    Id listen to what Nutta! says...although Grad medicine should be your very very last resort

If it was me, Id call them up and ask where you went wrong on my application. Then reapply in your first year of your degree.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.