Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I'm doing a gap year in which I decide on a course to do at uni. I've been mostly thinking about doing English Literature, because I love reading books and magazines and all sorts, and I also like writing fiction and non-fiction.

I've also been thinking of maybe adding a minor or joint course, because I am interested in a lot of fields of the arts:

Such as either Art and Design, because I am really artistic and I love looking at and doing all sorts of things like drawing, painting, textiles, body art/makeup, computer graphics, just all sorts really.

Or Philosophy, because I find it really intriguing and interesting subject, I really like reading about it in books and the net.

Or Psychology, because I find it interesting learning about the mind and the way it works. Though I'm not studying it at A Level (my school doesn't offer it), I like reading about it in books and on the internet.

I know I have to make the ultimate decision myself, but I'm just coming on here asking for a some opinions and experiences of anyone taking or planning to take one or more of these courses, reasons why and also what good careers would they lead on to. If you wanna know what A Levels I'm doing, they're English Lit, Media Studies, Textiles and Philosophy (and I also gained an E in AS Chemistry last year ) Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well for starters I'd rule out psychology. While different courses do exist, experimental psychology is a science subject, more akin to biology or medicine. It's all neuroscience and pathways and inhibitors and stuff - not learning about Freud. I'd also be wary about taking on Art if you're not committed to doing it as your whole degree. You'll end up spending way more time on it than you've got, and the English will suffer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Well for starters I'd rule out psychology. While different courses do exist, experimental psychology is a science subject, more akin to biology or medicine. It's all neuroscience and pathways and inhibitors and stuff - not learning about Freud. I'd also be wary about taking on Art if you're not committed to doing it as your whole degree. You'll end up spending way more time on it than you've got, and the English will suffer.
    Thanks for your answer. I suppose it would be hard to get into Psychology, have the one bad science A Level. And I understand about the Art as well, I'll think about it. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's not so much that I think you'd have trouble being allowed to do a minor course in it (although of course that's a consideration) but you're talking about liking arts and humanities, and that's not what psychology is! So I just think you'd be applying for a course you might not enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    It's not so much that I think you'd have trouble being allowed to do a minor course in it (although of course that's a consideration) but you're talking about liking arts and humanities, and that's not what psychology is! So I just think you'd be applying for a course you might not enjoy.
    Oh yeah, I know Psychology is not a art, it's just something I've become quite interested in and was wondering about, but yeah, thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Oh yeah, I know Psychology is not a art, it's just something I've become quite interested in and was wondering about, but yeah, thanks for the advice.
    What grades are you predicted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Favourite Worst Nightmare)
    What grades are you predicted?
    C in AS Media Studies
    C in A2 English Literature
    Gosh, sorry I can't remember the other two now, probably Cs or Bs. Hopefully I can get higher in final exams though.

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I'd just apply for straight English Lit, you only seem to have lukewarm interest in the other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline147)
    If I were you I'd just apply for straight English Lit, you only seem to have lukewarm interest in the other subjects.
    TBH you're quite right there. I guess my interest in Philosophy and Psychology are rather lukewarm, but I am almost as passionate about Art Design as I am about English. The reason why I have English Lit as a main degree choice is because I'm thinking it'd more useful in the wider world of careers, and I've heard some people say that it's better to do Art freelance or something.

ReputationRep:
    C in AS Media Studies
    C in A2 English Literature
    Gosh, sorry I can't remember the other two now, probably Cs or Bs. Hopefully I can get higher in final exams though.
    English Literature is very competitive so if you think you can get higher grades I would wait until you have them to apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Favourite Worst Nightmare)
    English Literature is very competitive so if you think you can get higher grades I would wait until you have them to apply.
    Good idea, I guess I will have to work my butt off this year, thanks. Even if I don't do too well this year, I guess I still have my gap year to do any necessary retakes.

ReputationRep:
    Good idea, I guess I will have to work my butt off this year, thanks. Even if I don't do too well this year, I guess I still have my gap year to do any necessary retakes.
    That is a last resort yes, but as you say work your butt off this year as unis tend to prefer students who don't have to re-take.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.