Turn on thread page Beta

Is there really a risk of terrorist attacks to this country? watch

ReputationRep:
    I think not, and I am angry at the amount of police resources being used up on so called 'terror alerts'. Since 9/11, London has been put at high risk - but so far nothing significant has happened. So why am I still hearing of new road blocks, concrete barriers and armed police patrolling some area's?
    At least these extreme measures should be implemented when there has been a terrorist attack in this country. Until then the risk should be considered low and police resources should not be wasted on the PREDICTED THREAT of terrorism.

Police should be tackling the real issues such as street crime, burgalry, murder and other serious crimes which ACTUALLY HAPPEN every day and effect millions of people daily.

But these out of touch senior officials dont make the logical and sensible decisions because it would be too controversial.

Also, we have an army who are sent overseas to protect other civilians and nations. But surely some soldiers could be deployed to crime ridden parts of the UK. Pensioners cant walk the streets because of not feeling/being safe, and our idiot of a leader is sending thousands of OUR soldiers across the globe. What a pathetic country we live in - and why won't things change? Because MP's worry about there reputations more than anything.

And no matter what political party is in power - nothing will change!

ReputationRep:
    Isn't that an awful lot like saying "I have a bathtub, no water has leaked out of it, therefore I don't need this so called 'plug'. *removes it*"

Also, I'm pretty sure I see several "foiled plots" on the news a week.

(Please don't accuse me of being a media victim, I know there are other issues, but that's not the point here)

ReputationRep:
    terrorism is a risk in all non-islamic or muslim or whatever places I dont know the exact religion...especially places with lots of people, tourists, etc.

ReputationRep:
    has the "eddiedaboss" account been hacked into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Isn't that an awful lot like saying "I have a bathtub, no water has leaked out of it, therefore I don't need this so called 'plug'. *removes it*"

(Please don't accuse me of being a media victim, I know there are other issues, but that's not the point here)
    So you see several foiled plots a week.
    Just what exactly can be classed as a 'foiled plot'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddiedaboss)
    So you see several foiled plots a week.
    Just what exactly can be classed as a 'foiled plot'
    Explosives in shoes, rocket launchers at Heathrow, etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Of course there is. This is what the IRA did to Manchester in 1996

And this the same road now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)

If you were to stand there, and rotate 90 degrees to your right, it'd look an awful lot like the IRA had done it again =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)

Yes and it was right for this country to be AT HIGH ALERT by the IRA because they ACTUALLY CARRIED OUT ATTACKS HERE.
    But the threats we are dealing with now are from islamic terror groups who haven't actually carried out any attacks on mainland UK.

The foiled plots I hear of are 'the odd grenade found under some muslims bed in Gloucester etc'. Hardly a major threat to us.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and it was right for this country to be AT HIGH ALERT by the IRA because they ACTUALLY CARRIED OUT ATTACKS HERE.
    But the threats we are dealing with now are from islamic terror groups who haven't actually carried out any attacks on mainland UK.

The foiled plots I hear of are 'the odd grenade found under some muslims bed in Gloucester etc'. Hardly a major threat to us.
    WHat about the attacks on British interests abroad? Just because they're not blowing up Canary Wharf, doesn't mean all is quiet.

I think the main point is that high security and vigilence has probably prevented attacks, and to go on and say that because we haven't been attacked, it was a waste of time is clearly quite silly. When people make videos threatening to bring you to your knees, mail them off to TV stations, then carry out attacks on the US/Australia/France/most western countries, it's not paranoid to think perhaps something extra specially big is coming your way.

ReputationRep:
    I think not, and I am angry at the amount of police resources being used up on so called 'terror alerts'. Since 9/11, London has been put at high risk - but so far nothing significant has happened. So why am I still hearing of new road blocks, concrete barriers and armed police patrolling some area's?
    At least these extreme measures should be implemented when there has been a terrorist attack in this country. Until then the risk should be considered low and police resources should not be wasted on the PREDICTED THREAT of terrorism.

Police should be tackling the real issues such as street crime, burgalry, murder and other serious crimes which ACTUALLY HAPPEN every day and effect millions of people daily.

But these out of touch senior officials dont make the logical and sensible decisions because it would be too controversial.

Also, we have an army who are sent overseas to protect other civilians and nations. But surely some soldiers could be deployed to crime ridden parts of the UK. Pensioners cant walk the streets because of not feeling/being safe, and our idiot of a leader is sending thousands of OUR soldiers across the globe. What a pathetic country we live in - and why won't things change? Because MP's worry about there reputations more than anything.

And no matter what political party is in power - nothing will change!
    Well Britain has been the victim of terrorist attacks and the high risk alerts for all we know may have prevented many attacks so far. What use would it be deploying these 'extreme measures' once the attack has happened?! What a stupid suggestion! Once the attack has happened lots of people will be dead and the terrorists will have got what they wanted so why deploy them at all then?! Thats like saying we'll not vaccinate any kids at school against diseases, we'll wait until they are infected and seriously ill then we'll vaccinate once it's too late. Where's the logic?!

You're saying we should ignore messages of a predicted attack, but how would you feel if someone you knew or loved was killed by terrorists then you found out the government knew the attack was coming but, as you claim they should, decided to not bother deploying the police or the army until the attack had happened through a fear of wasting resources? Think things through a bit before you post silly ideas.

Also its somewhat of an exageration when you claim "millions" of people every day are the victims of murders or burgalrys, I very much doubt the figures are quite that high.

Also we do not employ soldiers to enforce law on the streets of Britain because we have our own civilian police force to do that job and the army to defend the country, in certain situations that involves soldiers going abroad. We are not ruled by the military and being ruled by soldiers is the sign of a less developed country, it shows how little you know about the subject.

I do not want this post to sound like I am claiming criminals should be given an easy ride or let off or anything like that. I think they should be delt with fairly harshly, I do think we have become increasingly soft on crime in the last few years and that must change. However I am opposed to your rather silly, narrow minded attitude of 'blame the government they're all so out of touch and out for themselves' we've heard it all before and saying that isn't really going to solve anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albion)
    Well Britain has been the victim of terrorist attacks and the high risk alerts for all we know may have prevented many attacks so far. What use would it be deploying these 'extreme measures' once the attack has happened?! What a stupid suggestion! Once the attack has happened lots of people will be dead and the terrorists will have got what they wanted so why deploy them at all then?! Thats like saying we'll not vaccinate any kids at school against diseases, we'll wait until they are infected and seriously ill then we'll vaccinate once it's too late. Where's the logic?!

You're saying we should ignore messages of a predicted attack, but how would you feel if someone you knew or loved was killed by terrorists then you found out the government knew the attack was coming but, as you claim they should, decided to not bother deploying the police or the army until the attack had happened through a fear of wasting resources? Think things through a bit before you post silly ideas.

Also its somewhat of an exageration when you claim "millions" of people every day are the victims of murders or burgalrys, I very much doubt the figures are quite that high.

Also we do not employ soldiers to enforce law on the streets of Britain because we have our own civilian police force to do that job and the army to defend the country, in certain situations that involves soldiers going abroad. We are not ruled by the military and being ruled by soldiers is the sign of a less developed country, it shows how little you know about the subject.

I do not want this post to sound like I am claiming criminals should be given an easy ride or let off or anything like that. I think they should be delt with fairly harshly, I do think we have become increasingly soft on crime in the last few years and that must change. However I am opposed to your rather silly, narrow minded attitude of 'blame the government they're all so out of touch and out for themselves' we've heard it all before and saying that isn't really going to solve anything.
    The voice of reason. Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    Would anybody here have the guts to work in Canary Wharf? It'd be quite unsettling to know you were the prime target for such an attack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albion)

'Also we do not employ soldiers to enforce law on the streets of Britain because we have our own civilian police force to do that job'

Where have you been for the last decade...apparently we do have a so called police force but they are absolutely useless. You MUST know crime is spiralling out of control and the police are a laugh.

So your saying London is at a very high risk of a terrorist attack...do you actually have any EVIDENCE of this - I dont remember hearing of vans of explosives being ceased by police patrols.
    Just when will these extreme measures end...there will always be people who hate Britian! Hmm...perhaps every building should have concrete blocks and every road police patrols.
    Nothing major has happened..so HOW CAN YOU SAY THERE IS A REAL THREAT TO US WORHTY OF ALL THESE EXTREME MEASURES.

ReputationRep:
    So your saying London is at a very high risk of a terrorist attack...do you actually have any EVIDENCE of this - I dont remember hearing of vans of explosives being ceased by police patrols.
    Just when will these extreme measures end...there will always be people who hate Britian! Hmm...perhaps every building should have concrete blocks and every road police patrols.
    Nothing major has happened..so HOW CAN YOU SAY THERE IS A REAL THREAT TO US WORHTY OF ALL THESE EXTREME MEASURES.
    You really don't get it. *PERHAPS* our intelligence is so good, it never made it to a carbomb. You should be aware that you're not going to hear Blair himself stand in front of the press and say "Today we arrested somebody planning to unleash a deadly virus in the underground, and kill hundreds." I imagine you'd just hear "detained in relation to the terrorism act" or similar.

Most people expect something to happen sooner or later, and I do admit I wholly expect something of such a scale to happen over the next three years.

ReputationRep:
    'Also we do not employ soldiers to enforce law on the streets of Britain because we have our own civilian police force to do that job'

Where have you been for the last decade...apparently we do have a so called police force but they are absolutely useless. You MUST know crime is spiralling out of control and the police are a laugh.

Again your lack of knowledge is evident. I agree with you that crime is a problem and always has been, however I disagree that it is "spiralling out of control". You blame the police yet in reality they are doing their job as well as ever, it is the courts who are to blame, handing out lenient sentences to repeat offenders who clearly haven't learn their lesson and certainly won't from being let off once again. It seems so obvious that certain career criminals would be done the world of good by a year or so's hard time so they come out and make absolutely sure they never want to go back down again-ie they live on the straight and narrow from then on afterwards. Also what kind of a message does it send out to other would-be criminals when they see convicted burglars gettin very light sentences?!

Also I doubt you would ever be satisfied that there was a terrorist threat to Britain until there were dead people lying in the streets.

ReputationRep:
    so true, just because you can't see a threat does not mean it doesn't exist.

(Original post by fishpaste)

I really couldn't have put it better myself (cept i would have a damn site nastier and more cutting.)
    J

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.