Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Who's your role model? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My mother. :yep: I can only hope to be as good as she had been to me.

ReputationRep:
    John Locke.

ReputationRep:
    Priapus.

ReputationRep:
    The Unknown Rebel

ReputationRep:
    Bambi

ReputationRep:
    my mum

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2NypX0uzAQ&feature=fvw
    these people always suckseed in making me LMFAO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotpot)
    Gertrude Bell and David Attenborough
    gertrude is a crrrrrazzzyy name!

ReputationRep:
    Will Self. Apparently.

ReputationRep:
    my mum
    Ross Geller - just because he's had some **** and still gets on with it.

ReputationRep:
    Bertrand Russell, Melvyn Bragg and Sherlock Holmes for reason and inquisitiveness.

ReputationRep:
    Emmy Noether because despite living in a time where women were seen to be weaker than men, she stood on top of most mathematicians of her time. It's basically the fact that she rose above that prejudice and surprised everyone that appeals to me (which I feel I can relate to strongly), not to mention the fact that it's generally very uncommon for a female to contribute to very abstract mathematics.

And Neil Patrick Harris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linweth)
    I don't have a role model, I do not look up to people either, I simply rely on myself.
    This. I've learned to rely much more on myself over these past 6 months

ReputationRep:
    Kurt Gödel and Bernhard Riemann.

And Carl Friedrich Gauss.

ReputationRep:
    My best friend She's a lot older than me and she absolutely rocks my socks and has been there for me through so much! If I grow up at all like her then I'll be very happy- love her

ReputationRep:
    My Prince's Trust team leader inspired me to the make the most of my potential. Without doing the Prince's Trust, I would never have gone to college or got involved with voluntary work or any of the extra-curricular stuff I've been involved in. He was a massive inspiration.

My college tutors persuaded me to go to university and one of them influenced my degree choice.

The biggest influence on my life has been Geoff Thompson. The Prince's Trust inspired me but life inevitably grinds you down over time and it's hard to maintain those high levels of motivation, especially when you no longer have your team leader or team mates to support you.

This is where Geoff comes in, reading his books and articles have just transformed my life completely, they inspired me, and gave me the knowledge/courage to confront my fears. Not only that, but his self defence book made me aware of what I was doing to make myself a vulnerable target (I've been attacked twice), and literally saved me from getting attacked a third time.

As a direct result of Geoff Thompson, I've been inspired to read more, to get my adult numeracy certificates level 1 and level 2 from college (currently enrolled on a GCSE Mathematics course), he gave me the courage to overcome my fear of heights, which I did by climbing the top mast of a moving ship on a Tall Ships Youth Trust voyage, doing a 14,000ft tandem skydive, and abseiling 150ft down a building.

He gave me the courage to write a letter to Prince Charles, for which I received a personal reply, to send an email to Fiona Phillips (she wrote an article about me in the Daily Mirror as a result), and then that article led to me getting a 2 week work experience placement at a Law Firm, and the opportunity to write an article for the Metro Newspaper, for which I interviewed Geoff himself. Reading his advice and acting upon it has just transformed my life on so many levels. They are just a few of the examples.

Alot of people scoff at self-help books and think they are pointless and waste of time and whilst some are, there are also some good ones out there. But they key to it is, is following the advice. You could read every book on the planet but it wouldn't mean a thing unless you were actually prepared to use that knowledge and to put it in to practice.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.