The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Sakujo
Nicely said. Usually you get smacked very lightly for acting lazy.

Nothing wrong with that imo. A slap on the wrist never killed anybody. It's not as if they are being caned to within an inch of their lives.
Reply 21
Sakujo

Some have, others chose not to.

Then maybe government should butt out of the equation completely.
Wait, it's not already illegal to smack other people's children!? Be back in half an hour :biggrin:
Reply 23
I didn't realise corporal punishment in schools was still legal (albeit just in Islamic schools). I'm pretty appalled to be honest.
Reply 24
Howard
Nothing wrong with that imo. A slap on the wrist never killed anybody. It's not as if they are being caned to within an inch of their lives.

Sometimes the teacher does go a bit OTT and give a smack a bit too hard but the teacher usually apologises and tries to comfort the boy. Girls tend to never get smacked. I have never seen someone get hit with an object like a cane. Also, smacking tends to be a last resort, usually its making the person do squats if the kid keeps on chatting.
Reply 25
Would it make a difference? Extremist indoctrination is apparently banned too...
Reply 26
Howard
Then maybe government should butt out of the equation completely.

I think the government should work with local councils to prevent (unislamic) child abuse like what's mentioned in the article. It's important to remember the following saying:

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "He is not of us who does not have mercy on young children, nor honor the elderly"
(Al-Tirmidhi)

Narrated Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-'As: The Prophet said: Those who do not show mercy to our young ones and do not realize the right of our elders are not from us (Sunan Abu Dawud).

Not one of us means not a Muslim.
And the funny thing is, many of the bleeding-heart liberal types who hate all forms of corporal punishment actually vote for Labour!
Reply 28
Sakujo
Sometimes the teacher does go a bit OTT and give a smack a bit too hard but the teacher usually apologises and tries to comfort the boy. Girls tend to never get smacked.

Well, as an older TSR'er I probably have a greater appreciation of this than most everybody else here (I had the cane at school a few times, "the slipper", a ruler on the back of the hand, and took a few hits to the head with a flying board rubber!) I can't say I'm suffering from PTSD as a result and I'm sure that what goes on in muslim schools today is a lot softer than was really commonplace back then.

I say, leave them be. This is something for parents, teachers, and school boards to decide, not government.
Reply 29
Sakujo
I think the government should work with local councils to prevent (unislamic) child abuse like what's mentioned in the article. It's important to remember the following saying:

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "He is not of us who does not have mercy on young children, nor honor the elderly"
(Al-Tirmidhi)

Narrated Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-'As: The Prophet said: Those who do not show mercy to our young ones and do not realize the right of our elders are not from us (Sunan Abu Dawud).

Not one of us means not a Muslim.

Well, there are already plenty of laws against child abuse.
the parents can say you should or shouldnt. when i used to go my dad told the teacher that if he smacks me he will be in trouble. but i was good anyway:smartass:.
on the other hand my mates dad said to the teacher if he does anything bad hit him.
they dont get hit alot...its just a way of discipline. in school you have a detention in mosque you get a little smack.
it should be said that it is not an islamic thing. children should not be smacked just like that.
it also depends on the teacher. some never hit, some do...
Reply 31
LOL I used to get smacked around the head plenty by this one teacher I had, she was fresh from pakistan :p: hardly mentaly scaring, it's not like anyone gets caned or punched :rolleyes: and the girls hardly ever get touched only if like me you were a nightmare. Even if he does ban it, I doubt it will offend anyone.
This is why my mum refused to send me to the local mosque to study Quran.

There's apparently this rumour that they have sticks to hit naughty students with so one day at a wedding that was at the mosque we went around finding these sticks, breaking them and left them behind a radiator!
Reply 33
I'm more or less for a few whackings here and there in non-state schools.

Dirac Delta Function
Wait, it's not already illegal to smack other people's children!? Be back in half an hour :biggrin:

It isn't if you get an erection...

JW92
I didn't realise corporal punishment in schools was still legal (albeit just in Islamic schools). I'm pretty appalled to be honest.

The religion of the school is irrelevant.
Reply 34
L i b
The religion of the school is irrelevant.

I know, I agree...
Reply 35
If parents are to judge whether to spank their children, and as ones teachers are in loco parentis, then I have no problem with children being smacked. People who want it banned are sad haters.

My parents generation survived corperal punishment, and all the ones before that also did. Kids being hit by teachers is not a problem.
Reply 36
Magic_007
There just setting this up again and again as usual as the Daily mail does exaggerating about Islam.

Smacking isn't even a regular thing, who has brought this up?

Y'know its the MPS sitting around a table thinking a story to demean islam and yes they have thought of it and now its written in every goddamn paper in the entire country.

I'm looking foward to the new anti-islamic story next week, i will bet you a £1000000000000000000000000000 there will be a new anti-islamic story on the Daily mail next week and the following week.

Possibly the religion should i don't know change a bit(it's 2010, not 210), you know make it harder to criticise because as of now islam is pretty easy to criticise and muslims in general don't take criticism well.
Reply 37
So you can smack children in Muslim schools but not in white schools? LOooooooooool

Labour need to be hung for treachery and the Muslims sent packing. It was nice knowin ya!
I thought smacking was against the rules in teaching!
Reply 39
Libtolu
Possibly the religion should i don't know change a bit(it's 2010, not 210), you know make it harder to criticise because as of now islam is pretty easy to criticise and muslims in general don't take criticism well.

The Quran and Hadith actually predicted people like yourself holding these opinions.

Latest

Trending

Trending