Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In the C3 Edexcel textbook, chapter 4 example 7

Use the iteration formula...x n+ 1 = √x^3n - 2xn + 5 / 3 to find an approximation for the root of the equation x^3 - 3x^2 + 5 = 0

Start with i) x0 = 3

Sorry it's not so clear, I'm not sure how to write the subscript for when n is underneath.

For those who have the book, please could you explain how they work out x3 and x4...then suddenly jump to x14, x16?

How am I meant to know what sort of interval to jump? :confused:

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    put x0 in the equation, get the answer, then replace x0 in your original eqaution with 'ans' from your calculator, keep tapping equals to get x2 x3 x4... xn.

ReputationRep:
    basically, you have to keep on plugging in the values you get until you see that the answer's pretty much the same, or as in the example, up to x16. They 'jumped' it because it would get too tedious to type out every single value. But, when you do it, you shouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wesssty)
    put x0 in the equation, get the answer, then replace x0 in your original eqaution with 'ans' from your calculator, keep tapping equals to get x2 x3 x4... xn.
    (Original post by unamed)
    basically, you have to keep on plugging in the values you get until you see that the answer's pretty much the same, or as in the example, up to x16. They 'jumped' it because it would get too tedious to type out every single value. But, when you do it, you shouldn't.

Thanks guys. So...in the exam is it likely I will have to sit and tap until x16 ? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gottastudy)
    Thanks guys. So...in the exam is it likely I will have to sit and tap until x16 ? :eek:
    they normally tell you where to go up till, which is normally x4. And normally, to prove that there's a root, you don't have to use the iteration formula (you can if you want to). Say they say, prove that there is a root at 0.1356 (or whatever). You can do f(1.3555) and f(1.3565), and state that the sign changes and that the curve is continuous.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.