The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You probably want to state that r<=n somewhere as well.

Then start by showing it holds for n=1 (=>r=1 or r=0 and r=0 is trivial/not very interesting)

Assume it holds for n. Then try finding a relationship between the n+1 case and n case.

Please post back your attempt and we can give more specific help.
Reply 2
ive sed n=1 and r=0...

1! / 0!(1-0)! which equals 1.

when i put it is terms of k: n=k and then n=k+1 i get confused on how to work it out. in k+1 do i make r=0 again, or do i move onto the next number, which is r=0? i am unsure oon the whole question to be honest lol
Reply 3
ive put in n=1 and r=0 to get 1. i also put in n=1, r=1 to get 1 also. i then wrote it in terms of k where n=k. then i put n=k+1. wen i put r=1 into the k+1, i get:

(k+1)! / k! which proves that it always lies in N.

is this correct because im not sure about it, nobody else in my group no's if it is correct either?
Reply 4
I would say the simplest thing is to work from the identity

(n+1k)=(nk)+(nk1)\binom{n+1}{k} = \binom{n}{k}+\binom{n}{k-1}

(and use induction on n).
Reply 5
DFranklin
I would say the simplest thing is to work from the identity

(n+1k)=(nk)+(nk1)\binom{n+1}{k} = \binom{n}{k}+\binom{n}{k-1}

(and use induction on n).

im not sure i understand... can u be abit more specific please? thanks :smile:
Reply 6
Well, if you're using induction on n, you know the two terms on the RHS are integers (by the induction hypothesis). So, what can we say about the LHS?
Reply 7
DFranklin
Well, if you're using induction on n, you know the two terms on the RHS are integers (by the induction hypothesis). So, what can we say about the LHS?

i really dont understand... y r the two terms intergers? wat can i say about the LHS?
Reply 8
Please don't use text speak, it is against the forum rules.

As far as the question goes - I think you'd be best speaking to your teacher/lecturer. It looks like you are very confused, and they need to know that.
Reply 9
DFranklin
Please don't use text speak, it is against the forum rules.

As far as the question goes - I think you'd be best speaking to your teacher/lecturer. It looks like you are very confused, and they need to know that.

its not that, its just my teacher never taught me that equation u shows me in the previous post.

Latest