Turn on thread page Beta

AQA English lit Gatsby watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have my AS exam tomorrow and am panicking.

I don't know what sort of things to write in section A)a and A)b and was wondering if anyone could give me an example of what sorts of things to include.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Could you possibly give a brief outline of what these sections ask as I'm not taking the exam but am quite familiar with Gatsby so will try to help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaymee)
    Could you possibly give a brief outline of what these sections ask as I'm not taking the exam but am quite familiar with Gatsby so will try to help!
    There are two half hour questions.

The first is 'Write about some of the ways Fitzgerald tells the story in Chaper X'. I am unclear as to the specifics of what I am supposed to include. It's supposedly to do with form, structure and language as the exam is called 'Aspects of Narrative'

The second is a contextually driven question, for example '"Gatsby's world is corrup but ultimately glamorous". How do you respond to this view of the novel?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    bump?

ReputationRep:
    Right... first of all, take a look at my reply here for anything to do with form:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1153957

The wording "the ways Fitzgerald tells the story" suggests a lot of focus on the writer's intentions so basically what you'll need to do is:
    1. Say what message/idea is Fitzgerald trying to convey at a particular point
    2. Say which literary devices he uses to do this
    3. Comment on the effect of these devices

For example, in the first chapter Nick describes, "the fresh grass outside that seemed to grow a little way into the house."
    1. Here, Fitzgerald suggests that Nick may be an unreliable narrator and that the Buchanan household (and Daisy in particular) may possess an unduly romantic haze.
    2. Nick uses the word 'seemed' to show his own tentativity in this landscape that is foreign to him.
    3. The effect is that Nick's position as an outsider is emphasised. This is particularly interesting as, because the story is told in retrospect, the reader would expect Nick to have developed firm ideas. However, his tentative nature of speech at this point is perhaps an attempt by Fitzgerald to create a convincing portrayal of an earlier time, when Nick was indeed more unsure of his actions and words.

Does that help at all?

For the second I simply recommend looking at a lot of past papers and perhaps coming up with themes which haven't yet been covered. I did a similar AS paper on Wise Children and, as the structure of the question is so predictable, you don't have to worry too much about the structure of your answer (which is predetermined by the nature of the question) and you can look directly at the theme. Remember to think laterally when doing this thematic question though - consider all meanings of the words 'corrupt' and 'glamorous', and make sure you define exactly what 'Gatsby's world' is

Hope this helps! I'll try to think some more but I keep getting distracted by the tv, so I have a feeling my writing is a bit waffly at the moment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaymee)
    Right...
    You're a goddess, that's so helpful. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinytinygirl)
    You're a goddess, that's so helpful. Thank you!
    lol. No problem! PM/quote me if anything I've said is unclear.

ReputationRep:
    good luck
    GG = <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinytinygirl)
    There are two half hour questions.

The first is 'Write about some of the ways Fitzgerald tells the story in Chaper X'. I am unclear as to the specifics of what I am supposed to include. It's supposedly to do with form, structure and language as the exam is called 'Aspects of Narrative'

The second is a contextually driven question, for example '"Gatsby's world is corrup but ultimately glamorous". How do you respond to this view of the novel?

Thank you!
    Ah goood old Gastsby. The first question will focus on form structure and language, you are right. In terms of Narrative, its a 1st person retrospective/nostalgic and biased point of view ( Nick's account of Gatsby). Nick's fasination with Gatsby's world may have tainted his account of what things were really like( hence the title, GREAT Gatsby indicating that he was fond o Gatsby), also because it is retrospective he may have missed things out/forgotten things, the narration is limited because we don't know what other characters are thinking etc.
    In terms of language, it depends on what chapter you are writing about but there are examples of devices such as pathetic fallacy ( when Daisy and Gatsby are reunited/rain and tears. Also the "hot hot hot" day when Gatsby is having dinner with Daisy, Tom, Nick and Jordan, calm before the storm).
    You could also talk about the use of colour ( especially in chapter three I think it is) when Nick is describing the party, the rich description of colour and music along with conversation help to create the party atmosphere as well as give variety to the narration.

Part two is about context so in terms of corruption you must think about the American dream ( glamourous) and how Gatsby wants to obtain his own personal American dream ( Daisy) by wealth. His who image was based on bootlegging ( Prohibition in the 1920's of alcohol). His wealth and success is an example of "new money" as he did not get rich through inheritance ( like Tom) but illegally. His death was inevitable because he did not belong in the world of Daisy and Tom...
    Just a few ideas, I could go one forever I LOVED the Gatsby unit Good luck and read the questions properly

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 17, 2010

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.