The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

guys??
Reply 2
I wouldn't put going to the gym on a CV, it will make you sound like a meathead, unless you're applying for sport or something like that. Debating is a good thing to put on. Musical instruments, if you can play them, are good to put down, and competitive sport, such as if you have won any tournaments, or big competitions, or even if you just play for a team or in your spare time. Sport can show that you have physical skill, and team working ability, but gym doesn't show any of these things.
Xenopus
I wouldn't put going to the gym on a CV, it will make you sound like a meathead, unless you're applying for sport or something like that. Debating is a good thing to put on. Musical instruments, if you can play them, are good to put down, and competitive sport, such as if you have won any tournaments, or big competitions, or even if you just play for a team or in your spare time. Sport can show that you have physical skill, and team working ability, but gym doesn't show any of these things.

Fine, but how many extra-curricular activities are you meant to have on there as a minimum?
Enough to make you seem like a "well rounded" person! :smile:
Reply 5
Enough to make up half of my personal statement. Just mention the ones relevant to your course or those that show that you are well rounded.

Edit : oops, this is for employment. I have no idea tbh but I'm guessing you won't need much.
Reply 6
I think he's applying for a job, not uni.

I put 5 down, very briefly. My main sport, an instrument, then the 3 sports I've competed in whilst at uni. Rack your brains to think of something else IMO. Have you competed in anything whilst at uni?
Lafin23
There is no minimum. Of course, a greater number of extra-curricular activities displays an active interest in more than just school work, and also shows that you can achieve good grades without spending all your time working.

To be honest, not very many unis care hugely about extra-curriculars. Activities in areas relating to the subject you're applying for can be quite useful, as they show that you really are interested in it, but even then they're often only used to decide between two otherwise equally qualified candidates.

Chances are your grades will be much more important. However, I'd still recommend joining some other clubs to show a bit more breadth. Maybe a sport? And some community volunteering or something similar?

I'm on about graduate jobs here for a grad CV.
Reply 8
as a min I will say put maybe 5 or 3 but don't lie, it always comes back to bite you.

On my cv I dont really have an section for extra curricular activities you should think about that route maybe ?

I mix extra curricular with positions of responsibility...
Reply 9
Why are people talking about UCAS? This is in the employment section.
I usually put two. They are quite important as they differentiate between you and the hundreds of other graduates with a good degree.

What matters most is not what you do but how you talk about it, there's no reason why you can't put gym-ing down especially as your other activity involves working in a team, logical thinking, confidence, public speaking, ability to construct an argument, persuasive thinking etc
For the gym you could talk about how it requires a large amount of self-motivation to meet set targets, perseverance, ability to manage time effectively to allow you to go to the gym 3 times a week or whatever, plus anything that you've stuck to for several years shows that you have staying power and that you are able to use your own initiative, so if you've been regularly going to the gym for x number of years it shows a large amount of dedication.

Rather than make things up that you have no interest in, stick with what you have got and think about how you can talk about them to meet the competencies that a lot of graduate jobs require.
romeosbitch
working in a team, logical thinking, confidence, public speaking, ability to construct an argument, persuasive thinking etc
For the gym you could talk about how it requires a large amount of self-motivation to meet set targets, perseverance, ability to manage time effectively

Would I have to mention what competencies are met by doing these EC's, in my CV? Or would the employer interpret the competencies already just by looking at the interests in my CV?
romeosbitch
I usually put two. They are quite important as they differentiate between you and the hundreds of other graduates with a good degree.

What matters most is not what you do but how you talk about it, there's no reason why you can't put gym-ing down especially as your other activity involves working in a team, logical thinking, confidence, public speaking, ability to construct an argument, persuasive thinking etc
For the gym you could talk about how it requires a large amount of self-motivation to meet set targets, perseverance, ability to manage time effectively to allow you to go to the gym 3 times a week or whatever, plus anything that you've stuck to for several years shows that you have staying power and that you are able to use your own initiative, so if you've been regularly going to the gym for x number of years it shows a large amount of dedication.

Rather than make things up that you have no interest in, stick with what you have got and think about how you can talk about them to meet the competencies that a lot of graduate jobs require.

thanks, this is what I was looking for though!
ive put like 4/5 on it

dont put gym on it though
cruciform
Would I have to mention what competencies are met by doing these EC's, in my CV? Or would the employer interpret the competencies already just by looking at the interests in my CV?

It's up to you. Personally, because employers generally look for the same competencies but call them slightly different names I would just use general terms like "self-motivated", "logical thinking" and let them interpret this into their own vocab that they use.

However, if you were targeting your cv to one specific company then I don't think it would harm your cv if you could show directly, using the words they use, how you match to what they are looking for. If you were just doing a non company specific cv then broad terms are probably the way forward.
Reply 15
I pretty much only have volunteer work to put on my CV. I'm not sporty and I don't play any instruments. I'm a charity project coordinator though with a £3000 budget so that is a position of responsibility. Do I need to take up some more hobbies before I graduate do you reckon?
Is it really necessary to put hobbies and interests on your CV (I'm talking about graduate jobs here, where you already have a strong CV notwithstanding the hobbies section)?

I don't have any remotely interesting hobbies. Is it worse to put down a few boring, generic hobbies - or none at all?
Reply 17
I'd say worse to put a couple of generic boring things. None at all might just mean that you don't think ECs are relevant. A couple of crap ones confirms that you don't do anything "valuable" with your spare time.

I tend to have Music and Sport and then bullet points expanding on them (because I play more than one instrument in more than one group and play more than one sport). I don't think you should be expanding on skills etc - this isn't a personal statement after all. Your CV should be short bullets - not an essay.
Pink Bullets
Is it really necessary to put hobbies and interests on your CV (I'm talking about graduate jobs here, where you already have a strong CV notwithstanding the hobbies section)?

I don't have any remotely interesting hobbies. Is it worse to put down a few boring, generic hobbies - or none at all?

It is worse to put down the classic CV padders of walking, travelling, going out with friends and the cinema. It is also pointless to put in Interests that are just single words like

Interests: Fitness, travelling, music, potholing

However, you have to have a stronger reason not to put an Interests section in the to put one in. Interests, especially if you have limited work experience, is a good section in which to continue to demonstrate relevant skills.

I'd say only leave it out if you a) have an otherwise strong CV and b) know the employer doesn't care about work life balance and doesn't care about you as a rounded person. There won't be very many of those.
threeportdrift
It is worse to put down the classic CV padders of walking, travelling, going out with friends and the cinema. It is also pointless to put in Interests that are just single words like

Interests: Fitness, travelling, music, potholing

However, you have to have a stronger reason not to put an Interests section in the to put one in. Interests, especially if you have limited work experience, is a good section in which to continue to demonstrate relevant skills.

I'd say only leave it out if you a) have an otherwise strong CV and b) know the employer doesn't care about work life balance and doesn't care about you as a rounded person. There won't be very many of those.

Then surely the only other alternative is to make up 'interesting' interests, if both leaving them out and having generic interests are to be avoided. :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending