Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm glowing with delight about my KCL offer and thought that a thread for those who already know that KCL is/will be their FIRM choice if they have received/will receive an offer from there.

Basically it is a thread for those who are very likely to be starting KCL this september

- Course
    - Current location
    - Expectations
    - Worries
    - etc...

Freshers' list:

Law:
    thepianist
    gi.
    ScireLeges
    Ashteen
    Xanyi (+French Law)
    alexishawks1990
    pheberox4u
    draikzer
    missemma91
    k8i2811

Medicine:
    LucienG
    billet-doux
    Ali1616
    najeezy
    Kytiane

Biomed
    I Have No Imagination

Geography:
    cuddles x
    kclondon

English Language & Communication:
    MDEH8176
    mel0n
    jennifer622

Computer Science:
    Steveuk39
    mikeyp123
    teodorayankova (+Maths)
    fauni

Nursing:
    PLUD_Time
    flower10

Dentistry
    luisa10

French & German
    cognito_08
    Charliee

History
    HSully
    lucash

Management
    maroof
    HannahML

Traitors who chose UCL as their firm
    microfatcat

... a whole lot more to come

ReputationRep:
    See you there. :gthumb:

- Medicine
    - Cambridge
    - Frequent sport and drinking and possibly some studying
    - That overdoing any of those will mess up the other two. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Kind of early, no? Some departments have yet to send acknowledgements to the applicants :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii x

- Geography
    - London
    - excited, should be fun at Strand Campus... love the fact were in the heart of london.
    - Worries?! ..that no one will talk to me Lol!

Love KCL love London, love it all. Im so excited!
    Also im scared about the work load.. no idea what to expect.

ReputationRep:
    I may as well add my details!

- Law
    - London
    - Expect to have the most amazing time of my life, to express my kcl pride by stealing a part of bentham's body from UCL, to help KCL overtake UCL or at least Nottingham in the league tables, etc I'm also at STRAND CAMPUS! Although we may be moved to Somerset house now that the law department owns it...not sure about it though.
    -Worries? Same as cuddles I guess, but as I'm a London boy I wouldn't care because I have a couple of mates around anyway..

Cuddles, don't worry! We're in the same campus, i'll make sure someone speaks to you! (by running up to every girl that has a geography book in her hands :P x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thepianist)
    I may as well add my details!

- Law
    - London
    - Expect to have the most amazing time of my life, to express my kcl pride by stealing a part of bentham's body from UCL, to help KCL overtake UCL or at least Nottingham in the league tables, etc I'm also at STRAND CAMPUS! Although we may be moved to Somerset house now that the law department owns it...not sure about it though.
    -Worries? Same as cuddles I guess, but as I'm a London boy I wouldn't care because I have a couple of mates around anyway..

Cuddles, don't worry! We're in the same campus, i'll make sure someone speaks to you! (by running up to every girl that has a geography book in her hands :P x

Thanks!!

I'm a london girl too, so i like the whole atmosphere! being near the thames... shops ... shops ... shops.... St. Pauls .... shops.

I really can't wait now. .. and don't you worry, we will overtake UCL. No doubt.

ReputationRep:
    Course: Geography
    Current Location: London
    Expectations: Well it is CENTRAL London XD
    Worries: Getting back into the routine of reading

ReputationRep:
    Law
    Singapore
    hoping london is as awesome as my seniors describe it to be
    hope my brain can start up back in time for school, after 2 years of military service

ReputationRep:
    Trying to work out my 1st choice for accommodation. Great Dover St or Wolfson...hmm. Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh...

No real reason for posting, I just thought writing it down would make it easier. It doesn't. None of you should try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kclondon)
    Course: Geography
    Current Location: London
    Expectations: Well it is CENTRAL London XD
    Worries: Getting back into the routine of reading
    Yeah Geog. people!!!. ... BA/BSC?!

ReputationRep:
    Great idea OP. I've noticed that the offers are coming through now and that quite a lot of people on TSR hold unconditionals from last years cycle for King's (like myself).

Course
    BA English Language & Communication

Current location
    Somerset. London will be such a huge a change.

Expectations
    Quite high. I'm on a fairly boring gap year at the moment working in retail, but luckily I have a few holidays lined up to keep me going. Being on a gap year means that I'm actually looking forward to starting my course (I'll regret saying that two months in). I'm feeling equally excited and nervous about Freshers week and moving away from home. I've heard of boat parties on the Thames, live music at the union and comedy acts in previous years! Hopefully, King's will have similar events this Freshers. Finally, I'd like to contribute to the College magazine, join the LGBT society and maybe take up a new sport or just join the gym.

Worries
    Mainly, that I've built university up way too much in my head and that I'll only be disappointed come September. I doubt it though. Also, I'm hoping for decent flatmate's where there's a good mix of people. I don't really want a flat filled with loud, out-every-night people, but I'd also hate to share with a lot of shy, reclusive people. I sound fussy, but I suppose I just want a nice group of people who aren't the extreme of either end of the social scale. I'm also worried about finding second year accommodation in London; it just seems so daunting with so many places to choose from. That's ages away yet though!

OP: I'm also up for some UCL bashing. Reggie has endured kidnappings and burials - what a hero.

The intercollegiate halls really appeal to me because I think it would be good to meet people outside of King's, but then I also worry that I'll be the only King's student in my flat so I'll have nobody to go to Freshers events with etc. How does everybody else feel about accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MDEH8176)
    Great idea OP. I've noticed that the offers are coming through now and that quite a lot of people on TSR hold unconditionals from last years cycle for King's (like myself).

Course
    BA English Language & Communication

Current location
    Somerset. London will be such a huge a change.

Expectations
    Quite high. I'm on a fairly boring gap year at the moment working in retail, but luckily I have a few holidays lined up to keep me going. Being on a gap year means that I'm actually looking forward to starting my course (I'll regret saying that two months in). I'm feeling equally excited and nervous about Freshers week and moving out. I've heard of boat parties on the Thames, live music at the union and comedy acts in previous years! I'd like to contribute to the College magazine, join the LGBT society and maybe take up a new sport or just join the gym.

Worries
    Mainly, that I've built university up way too much in my head and that I'll only be disappointed come September. I doubt it though. Also, I'm hoping for decent flatmate's where there's a good mix of people. I don't really want a flat filled with loud, out-every-night people, but I'd also hate to share with a lot of shy, reclusive people. I sound fussy, but I suppose I just want a nice group of people who aren't the extreme of either end of the social scale. I'm also worried about finding second year accommodation in London; it just seems so daunting with so many places to choose from. That's ages away yet though!

OP: I'm also up for some UCL bashing. Reggie has endured kidnappings and burials - what a hero.

The intercollegiate halls really appeal to me because I think it would be good to meet people outside of King's, but then I also worry that I'll be the only King's student in my flat so I'll have nobody to go to Freshers events with etc. How does everybody else feel about accommodation?
    First of all, Thank you! I just thought that it would be a nice way to meet people you know FOR CERTAIN you are going to be seeing in just a few months. Having high expectations is good! And I am sure that King's is not going to disappoint us. I, personally, was stuck in a dilemma of whether I should take a gap year and reapply to Oxford, as it has been my dream for as long as I remember, or to just choose King's. I hope I won't regret choosing King's

If you'd like to take up a sport - BASKETBALL is my suggestion! :yep: I know it's going to be hard to get onto the team, but I will definitely try out.

Concerning accomodation, personally, I live fairly close to King's (well...a walk of about an hour in length from Knightsbridge), so I will most likely stay at home for the first year and then I am hoping to purchase a flat of my own. It's obviously a big step, but I'll try my best. You may be worried about your flat mates, but I am the one who should be worried more, as I will have to try my very best to be as active during Freshers' week or I will not make decent connections

UCL bashing seems very likely now It's as if we are building a KING'S ARMY! I think we should all dress up in medieval clothing and march to UCL to claim their buildings! That would certainly reignite the old rivalry!

It seems like we have a great group of people starting in September! Can't WAIT!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thepianist)
    First of all, Thank you! I just thought that it would be a nice way to meet people you know FOR CERTAIN you are going to be seeing in just a few months. Having high expectations is good! And I am sure that King's is not going to disappoint us. I, personally, was stuck in a dilemma of whether I should take a gap year and reapply to Oxford, as it has been my dream for as long as I remember, or to just choose King's. I hope I won't regret choosing King's

If you'd like to take up a sport - BASKETBALL is my suggestion! :yep: I know it's going to be hard to get onto the team, but I will definitely try out.

Concerning accommodation, personally, I live fairly close to King's (well...a walk of about an hour in length from Knightsbridge), so I will most likely stay at home for the first year and then I am hoping to purchase a flat of my own. It's obviously a big step, but I'll try my best. You may be worried about your flat mates, but I am the one who should be worried more, as I will have to try my very best to be as active during Freshers' week or I will not make decent connections

UCL bashing seems very likely now It's as if we are building a KING'S ARMY! I think we should all dress up in medieval clothing and march to UCL to claim their buildings! That would certainly reignite the old rivalry!

It seems like we have a great group of people starting in September! Can't WAIT!
    I was literally coming on here today with the intention of setting up a thread like this. :p:

I think it's natural to have a few doubts about your university choice before firming. I had an offer from Edinburgh and it took me ages to decide between them both. Even during my gap year I have considered reapplying in a moment of sheer panic about whether I had made the right decision! It's not that I'm uncertain about King's, rather that I like Edinburgh just as much...

You're going to be studying law aren't you? King's has an outstanding reputation for Law and Somerset House is going to be your new home! I'm very jealous, but also happy that King's have finally secured part of that building. My department is based in the Waterloo Bridge Wing (the old grey building that I think is called Cornwall House), but the majority of my first year lectures aren't held there.

Basketball is a definite no! I was really quite good at it in school, but then everybody else got taller than me and I just had to admit defeat. I'm going to have a look through the union website and see what they do. I may even pick something really different like Fencing. It seems fun, but I doubt I'd be any good at it.

I think Freshers will be OK. I mean we're all in the same boat with having to try and meet new people. I have the added pressures of being away from home and having to adjust to city life! My gap year will hopefully help fund a nice place to live in my second/third years. I'm not really bothered about the size. I'd rather rent a small space in Bloomsbury for the same price as a house somewhere else. It's only a place to sleep really. I'll be studying in the Maughan!

From my experiences on general open days, post-offer days and TSR King's students seem to be really friendly and welcoming. It's the only university where I walked in and instantly felt part of it. Everything about the College seems genuine whereas UCL I just couldn't warm to (I'm not bitter by the way - I didn't even apply there).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MDEH8176)
    Everything about the College seems genuine whereas UCL I just couldn't warm to (I'm not bitter by the way - I didn't even apply there).
    :yep:
    same here, didnt apply to UCL.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think living at home has a disadvantage?
    (see i'm a straight train away) Do you think that means i'll have a harder time making friends?!

ReputationRep:
    Nice to see there are other people on gap years. Of course I knew there would be, and in any case I have nothing against the year below, but for some reason I was worried I'd be obviously older than everyone else and because I'm mental this was worrying me.

As you were...

ReputationRep:
    Age plays no role at all when you're at university

ReputationRep:
    That's what my mate told me when I went to visit him in Newcastle but I still didn't go anywhere near his month-old loaf of bread...

ReputationRep:
    how lean are kings on grades do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuddles x)
    Do you think living at home has a disadvantage?
    (see i'm a straight train away) Do you think that means i'll have a harder time making friends?!
    Where are you travelling from? I'm in Knightsbridge It's just an hour's walk away hehe.

Apparently if you don't live in the unis accomodation it may be a bit harder, but I think because it's not a campus uni it won't matter that much. The key thing for us both is to be active during freshers week as possible You already have one friend there (moi) so you're ahead of most people! I think we'll be fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.