Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pheberox4u)
    I totally agree , the shopping will be AMAZING. Selfridges is one of my favourtie places on earth haha.
    Couldn't agree more with the Selfridges-love. The student loan will sadly be frittered away in their tills... :rolleyes: Me moving to a city like London is going to be lethal.

Oooh, and I see that you're from Devon? That's near me! Whereabouts do you live?

- Pharmacology
    - Plymouth
    - London's gonna be a riot, can't wait to start the course
    - Getting lost in London, running out of money, forgetting to buy food, not finding many nice people
    - Not firming it, but it's very likely I will end up going to King's as I don't think I'll get an A in history!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexishawks1990)
    Couldn't agree more with the Selfridges-love. The student loan will sadly be frittered away in their tills... :rolleyes: Me moving to a city like London is going to be lethal.

Oooh, and I see that you're from Devon? That's near me! Whereabouts do you live?

Haha so true. I'm willing to sacrafice eating to fund my partying and shopping!

Ahh cool , I live near Torquay, but I'm originally from Leeds so I can't wait to get back to the city!!
    Whereabouts are you from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pheberox4u)
    Haha so true. I'm willing to sacrafice eating to fund my partying and shopping!

Ahh cool , I live near Torquay, but I'm originally from Leeds so I can't wait to get back to the city!!
    Whereabouts are you from?
    I'm South Somerset, sort of near Glastonbury? I can't really specify a place as I live pretty much in the middle of a Godforsaken field One of the many reasons why knowing I am moving to London makes me ecstatic!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr_HI)
    Hey

course: biomedical science

current location: london

expectations: meet amazing people and have the best three years of my life, hope that's not too high an expectation to have :P

worries: not getting accomodation as I only live a 15 minute train ride away, so would like accomodation for first year just to have the experience of independance and living alone etc but would understand if I didn't get due to housing not being essential just preferential. Also worried I won't get the grades which would be such a shame, I think I'm a little bit in love with the uni
    snap!!! firm offer for biomed im in london too about 40min train ride away but want accomodation for the first year too!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeovil? You’re kidding! It’s my closest big town and I go there all the time – used to more, though, because I went to school in Sherborne. You might have heard of Leweston? Lovely all-girls Catholic Convent on a hill :cool: I do miss it – it was so St Trinians at times!!

And yep, I go from Cary, it’s so much quicker! I think we’re planning on driving up because I have a ridiculous amount of possessions and as I’ll probably be self-catered I can’t see me lugging boxes of saucepans up on the train! Daddy’s very used to driving through central London, though, so it should be fine.

Hoping I get friendly flatmates too as one of the reasons I dropped out of Birmingham was because I had NOTHING in common with my flatmates. Or, really, anyone I met there, which still puzzles me because I usually make friends really easily, once people get over the fact that I talk far too much One of my closest friends is already studying Medicine at King’s so hopefully I’ll share with her come second year. Failing that, I might impose myself on my sister, though no doubt that will lead to permanently babysitting my nieces and nephews! What accommodation do you think you’ll go for? I’m probably putting Stamford Street because its close to the Strand Campus.

Money is something I am sadly lacking in having saved up…I’m a total spendthrift. It’s dreadful. I get being scared of Primark, too. It terrifies me, but that’s mostly because I’m a designer-whore. At least I can admit it, I suppose. Covent Garden is good for shopping and I love Westfield, but last time I went it was so busy I left due to claustrophobia!!
    I've seen Leweston and it looks like such a great place to study. You were so fortunate to have gone there; I would have loved to have studied at Sherborne School. :o:

I went to visit the Sherborne boys school as part of my education module at A-level and the guys loved it when the girls turned up! My cousin's at Richard Huish at the moment and he's having an awesome time. However, I went to Yeovil College and really hated it. I had to order loads of textbooks from Amazon to self-teach myself two of my A-levels otherwise I wouldn't have got my As. There was so much that my teachers hadn't covered with only weeks before the summer exams! The English department was great at Yeovil though and it was where the majority of friends from school were so I kind of just followed the crowd.

I've already sent my accommodation application and have put the intercollegiates first, followed by Hampstead and then the apartments. I would have chosen SSA, but I've stayed in them overnight and they're really small and dingy. The intercollegiates look far better and are still walking distance to King's (plus I'd prefer to be catered). I absolutely love the Hampstead campus too and I would quite happily spend money on an annual Oyster card to live there for a year.

I'm really quite good at saving my money, but I'll be having a massive spending spree before I leave in September. You're in a great position having friends and family up in London. I literally don't know anybody who decided to go to a London university! Exeter university was the most popular choice in my year along with Southampton, Cardiff, Bath and UWE. Hardly anybody applied to UCL/King's and I was one of the few applicants to get an offer from Edinburgh. So many people had Exeter as their firm and UWE/Bournemouth as an insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MDEH8176)
    I've seen Leweston and it looks like such a great place to study. You were so fortunate to have gone there; I would have loved to have studied at Sherborne School. :o:

I went to visit the Sherborne boys school as part of my education module at A-level and the guys loved it when the girls turned up! My cousin's at Richard Huish at the moment and he's having an awesome time. However, I went to Yeovil College and really hated it. I had to order loads of textbooks from Amazon to self-teach myself two of my A-levels otherwise I wouldn't have got my As. There was so much that my teachers hadn't covered with only weeks before the summer exams! The English department was great at Yeovil though and it was where the majority of friends from school were so I kind of just followed the crowd.

I've already sent my accommodation application and have put the intercollegiates first, followed by Hampstead and then the apartments. I would have chosen SSA, but I've stayed in them overnight and they're really small and dingy. The intercollegiates look far better and are still walking distance to King's (plus I'd prefer to be catered). I absolutely love the Hampstead campus too and I would quite happily spend money on an annual Oyster card to live there for a year.

I'm really quite good at saving my money, but I'll be having a massive spending spree before I leave in September. You're in a great position having friends and family up in London. I literally don't know anybody who decided to go to a London university! Exeter university was the most popular choice in my year along with Southampton, Cardiff, Bath and UWE. Hardly anybody applied to UCL/King's and I was one of the few applicants to get an offer from Edinburgh. So many people had Exeter as their firm and UWE/Bournemouth as an insurance.
    Yeah Leweston was pretty fab – we had such a laugh most of the time. The Sherborne boys always liked it when we turned up as well for socials and stuff I’ve got a couple of friends at Yeovil College at the moment, one of them is doing engineering! I don’t really know much about it though. Sorry you hated it

Send my accommodation yesterday and put SSA followed by GDSA. I know they’re quite small but I want an ensuite, and my friend living as GDSA says its alright. Her flatmates are really nice. I’m not sure about the intercollegiates – can’t help thinking that if you don’t make any friends who are at KCL during Fresher’s Week then who will you go to all the events with? Maybe that’s just paranoia. Hampstead does look lovely; that’s actually very close to where my sister lives and it’s a great area. I just don’t really want to be so far out. I think I put it down as fourth with KCH third. Then all the intercollegiate after that. College Hall does look nice.

Actually, before I got my King’s over I was sure I was going to end up going to Exeter! Everyone I know raved about how nice it was but when Mummy and I went to an open day a couple of weeks ago we really hated it! SO glad I’m not going to end up stuck further down in the countryside. I’m definitely a city person. A lot of people from Leweston, though, decided to stick to more local universities. We had loads going to Bristol, Oxford, Exeter, Cardiff and so on. My best friend is going to Durham, though, and that’s MILES.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Leweston was pretty fab – we had such a laugh most of the time. The Sherborne boys always liked it when we turned up as well for socials and stuff I’ve got a couple of friends at Yeovil College at the moment, one of them is doing engineering! I don’t really know much about it though. Sorry you hated it

Send my accommodation yesterday and put SSA followed by GDSA. I know they’re quite small but I want an ensuite, and my friend living as GDSA says its alright. Her flatmates are really nice. I’m not sure about the intercollegiates – can’t help thinking that if you don’t make any friends who are at KCL during Fresher’s Week then who will you go to all the events with? Maybe that’s just paranoia. Hampstead does look lovely; that’s actually very close to where my sister lives and it’s a great area. I just don’t really want to be so far out. I think I put it down as fourth with KCH third. Then all the intercollegiate after that. College Hall does look nice.

Actually, before I got my King’s over I was sure I was going to end up going to Exeter! Everyone I know raved about how nice it was but when Mummy and I went to an open day a couple of weeks ago we really hated it! SO glad I’m not going to end up stuck further down in the countryside. I’m definitely a city person. A lot of people from Leweston, though, decided to stick to more local universities. We had loads going to Bristol, Oxford, Exeter, Cardiff and so on. My best friend is going to Durham, though, and that’s MILES.
    Freshers week is my only worry about being in the intercollegiate halls. If I'm along a corridor with mainly UCL or LSE students then it may be difficult for me to make friends as they'll all be going off to separate events. I can see so many advantages/disadvantages to all the King's accommodation though so as long as I get any of my top 8 choices I'll be OK. There are some places like Liberty or Wolfson which I'd rather not be at. Just got the acknowledgment email through today about my choices.

It was all about local universities for my friends too. I think we're quite lucky being in the south-west because we have quite a lot of decent universities to choose from with London only hours away and places like Bristol, Bath, Exeter and Oxford fairly nearby. I really love this part of the country and it was the main reason why I just couldn't go to Edinburgh. I really liked the university there, but I think that when you have to get a plane to university then it's just too far away for me! I quite liked York, but after visiting I wasn't very fond of the university. King's was just so much better than any of my other choices. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Freshers week is my only worry about being in the intercollegiate halls. If I'm along a corridor with mainly UCL or LSE students then it may be difficult for me to make friends as they'll all be going off to separate events. I can see so many advantages/disadvantages to all the King's accommodation though so as long as I get any of my top 8 choices I'll be OK. There are some places like Liberty or Wolfson which I'd rather not be at. Just got the acknowledgment email through today about my choices.

It was all about local universities for my friends too. I think we're quite lucky being in the south-west because we have quite a lot of decent universities to choose from with London only hours away and places like Bristol, Bath, Exeter and Oxford fairly nearby. I really love this part of the country and it was the main reason why I just couldn't go to Edinburgh. I really liked the university there, but I think that when you have to get a plane to university then it's just too far away for me! I quite liked York, but after visiting I wasn't very fond of the university. King's was just so much better than any of my other choices. :rolleyes:
    How long did it take you to get your accommodation confirmation after sending it off? I've spent all day changing around my choices because I don't know if I've got it right!!! I don't want to be far away, to be honest, so KCH and Hampstead have gone down the list, but equally I'd rather be in KCL accommodaton than intercollegiate I don't know, I just don't want to mess it up after my crappy time at Birmingham... And totally agree about Liberty and Wolfson - they're at the bottom of my list!! I suppose if you're in intercollegiate you just have to hope and pray that there are some fellow KCL-ers to go to fresher's stuff with... :erm:

I don't really get wanting to be local local, if you see what I mean. London's not at all far, but its far enough. Bristol's my home city, really, so although I applied to uni there I'm so glad I'm going to London instead. Exeter's equally far too close, and I'm glad I didn't get into Oxford as I hate the city (my best friend lives there so I know it really well)!!! It's pretty, but there's nothing to do and the nightlife is rubbish. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    How long did it take you to get your accommodation confirmation after sending it off? I've spent all day changing around my choices because I don't know if I've got it right!!! I don't want to be far away, to be honest, so KCH and Hampstead have gone down the list, but equally I'd rather be in KCL accommodation than intercollegiate I don't know, I just don't want to mess it up after my crappy time at Birmingham... And totally agree about Liberty and Wolfson - they're at the bottom of my list!! I suppose if you're in intercollegiate you just have to hope and pray that there are some fellow KCL-ers to go to fresher's stuff with... :erm:

I don't really get wanting to be local local, if you see what I mean. London's not at all far, but its far enough. Bristol's my home city, really, so although I applied to uni there I'm so glad I'm going to London instead. Exeter's equally far too close, and I'm glad I didn't get into Oxford as I hate the city (my best friend lives there so I know it really well)!!! It's pretty, but there's nothing to do and the nightlife is rubbish. :yep:
    It took about three weeks before I got an email through. I researched accommodation really throughly and my choices changed around so much too! At one point my top choice went down to about tenth, but the next day it was back at the top!

I went to London with my Mum and we went to Hampstead and walked around Bloomsbury to get a feel for the location and the distance from King's. This really helped me.

I eventually decided that I didn't want to be near Guy's campus so I ruled out Wolfson and Great Dover Street. King's College Hall was also too far away so these were by lowest choices along with Liberty House.

From here I looked at the remaining King's accommodation and the intercollegiates and realised that I wanted a more social experience. Several of the intercollegiates have their own bars, a garden and organize their own social events and the idea of being catered appealed to me. The SSA apartments are the same price as many of the intercollegiate halls, but you get food in the halls. I'd rather pay an extra grand for breakfast and dinner than a tiny ensuite. The walk to my lectures will be about 30 minutes, but it's about the same distance (maybe shorter) to walk to the Maughan Library from the intercollegiates compared to the SSA.

Connaught, the three Garden Halls, Nutford House (the one by Hyde Park/Oxford Street :cool: ), Hampstead, SSA and Brain Creamer are my top 8 choices. I put College Hall and International Hall lower down as College is really expensive and International has at least 50% reserved for international students. I'm really happy with my choices now. I've gone for the intercollegiates because I'm happy with catered and I like the idea of being with other UoL students. I think the halls seem way more social whereas King's halls you seem to be paying for just a room.

If you get bad flatmates at SSA then it may be really difficult to make other friends elsewhere in your block. The intercollegiates are traditional university halls with long corridors as opposed to segregated 'flats'. You'll always be bumping into other people and each hall seems to have a large common room, a small library/study area, TV room, etc. Some have a bar, music practice rooms and Connaught even has a small gym! I way prefer this. I get the feeling that there's more of a community there whereas at SSA it's like a travel lodge!

I've prepared myself to be happy at any of the intercollegiates or at Hampstead. I wouldn't be too pleased if I got allocated the apartments, Wolfson, Liberty or King's College Hall. I think with the accommodation at King's you really have to compromise. The only place that has it all (ideal location, ensuite, large rooms, social) is College Hall. It's just too expensive for me though and I can't waste all my loan on accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    - Dentistry
    - Hertfordshire
    - everything!
    - Choosing halls...been hearing so many mixed opinions! And MONEY. It is London, after all!

ReputationRep:
    - Offer for English Law & French Law (not firmed as I've yet to hear from UCL, but an offer from them won't change my decision)

- Currently living in Manchester

- Hoping for Stamford Street Apartments, failing that then Great Dover Street

- Excited for freshers, London, living independently, the course, the people, the uni... All of it, to be honest xD

- Slightly worried about the fluency of my French being inadequate to deal with the standard of the course, but plenty of work this summer should mean I'll cope! Not too stressed about money; I've already got a student transfer set up so I'll have a job as soon as I arrive.

ReputationRep:
    It took about three weeks before I got an email through. I researched accommodation really throughly and my choices changed around so much too! At one point my top choice went down to about tenth, but the next day it was back at the top!

I went to London with my Mum and we went to Hampstead and walked around Bloomsbury to get a feel for the location and the distance from King's. This really helped me.

I eventually decided that I didn't want to be near Guy's campus so I ruled out Wolfson and Great Dover Street. King's College Hall was also too far away so these were by lowest choices along with Liberty House.

From here I looked at the remaining King's accommodation and the intercollegiates and realised that I wanted a more social experience. Several of the intercollegiates have their own bars, a garden and organize their own social events and the idea of being catered appealed to me. The SSA apartments are the same price as many of the intercollegiate halls, but you get food in the halls. I'd rather pay an extra grand for breakfast and dinner than a tiny ensuite. The walk to my lectures will be about 30 minutes, but it's about the same distance (maybe shorter) to walk to the Maughan Library from the intercollegiates compared to the SSA.

Connaught, the three Garden Halls, Nutford House (the one by Hyde Park/Oxford Street :cool: ), Hampstead, SSA and Brain Creamer are my top 8 choices. I put College Hall and International Hall lower down as College is really expensive and International has at least 50% reserved for international students. I'm really happy with my choices now. I've gone for the intercollegiates because I'm happy with catered and I like the idea of being with other UoL students. I think the halls seem way more social whereas King's halls you seem to be paying for just a room.

If you get bad flatmates at SSA then it may be really difficult to make other friends elsewhere in your block. The intercollegiates are traditional university halls with long corridors as opposed to segregated 'flats'. You'll always be bumping into other people and each hall seems to have a large common room, a small library/study area, TV room, etc. Some have a bar, music practice rooms and Connaught even has a small gym! I way prefer this. I get the feeling that there's more of a community there whereas at SSA it's like a travel lodge!

I've prepared myself to be happy at any of the intercollegiates or at Hampstead. I wouldn't be too pleased if I got allocated the apartments, Wolfson, Liberty or King's College Hall. I think with the accommodation at King's you really have to compromise. The only place that has it all (ideal location, ensuite, large rooms, social) is College Hall. It's just too expensive for me though and I can't waste all my loan on accommodation.
    Completely agree with everything you just said! Now choosing which intercolligiate....maybe the one with the most rooms so it's the most sociable?! haha. I really wanted an en-suite but like you said theres need to compromise! Hopefully everyone is 100% hygienic haha ##

(just realised i've quoted you twice now on the same topic haha stupid me)

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, now, don't let the "small gym" at Connaught Hall sway your decision... We used to have a gym but it was closed in September 2009, ostensibly because of "'elf 'n' safety" regulations. Connaught is still great but it just doesn't have a gym any more!

ReputationRep:
    Course: Computer Science with a Year in Industry
    (Firm Choice - Unconditional Offer)

Current Location: South London

Expectations: Just want to work hard, have fun at the same time, and not be too disappointed with the whole experience!!

Worries: Not getting accomodation. By sounds of it, KCL aren't that popular with their student accomodation! Which, to be honest, is not a good thing...But yeah, at the moment that seems to be my only worry! Big let down by the accomodation. I also live in the M25 Ring Road! So I won't be priority

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xanyi)
    - Offer for English Law & French Law (not firmed as I've yet to hear from UCL, but an offer from them won't change my decision)

- Excited for freshers, London, living independently, the course, the people, the uni... All of it, to be honest xD

- Slightly worried about the fluency of my French being inadequate to deal with the standard of the course, but plenty of work this summer should mean I'll cope! Not too stressed about money; I've already got a student transfer set up so I'll have a job as soon as I arrive.
    Are you going to be based at the Strand campus?

Good luck with the UCL application too

ReputationRep:
    Hello... Got an offer for Business Management AAB!

N.. did anione get a lower offer?! :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maroof)
    Hello... Got an offer for Business Management AAB!

N.. did anione get a lower offer?! :-)
    I was playing COD and went to Karachi and shot some Chickens. :cool:

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xanyi)

Hey Xanyi, im an international student and ill be applying for accommodation soon! What do u think of the studios at Liberty?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    I was playing COD and went to Karachi and shot some Chickens. :cool:

:getmecoat:

Lol! Which course?!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 19, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.