Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sciences Po- KCL any opinions?

Hey there !

I really need your help and your opinion about the universities which offered me a place for the next academic year (starting September 2010).

I am French, and I have been made an offer at both Sciences Po and King’s College London. I know Sciences Po is an elite school in France concerning social sciences and law. However, I checked the rankings on the internet and realized that KCL is a leading university in the UK too and that it enjoys a great prestige abroad (unlike Sciences Po!).

It is very difficult to assess the international recognition of Sciences Po and I fear this lack of ranking recognition might be a setback later when I'm applying to a master’s degree or looking for a job outside the France. Am I right?
    I have been accepted into the European Studies program at Kings College. I am both excited to have the opportunity to live in London but also quite concerned because so far, I have not been able to meet anyone who will be studying there too. I joined the European Studies Fresher’s group on Facebook but nobody talks and the atmosphere there seems somewhat cold…

I would really love to hear some (either British or French) opinions about both the academic and the social life at Kcl.

I feel really disconcerted and lost. Both programmes are interesting and offered at prestigious universities. Should you have attended any classes at either Sciences Po or KCL, please feel free to let me know !!! Your help will be precious!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maiajijala)

Hey there !

I really need your help and your opinion about the universities which offered me a place for the next academic year (starting September 2010).

I am French, and I have been made an offer at both Sciences Po and King’s College London. I know Sciences Po is an elite school in France concerning social sciences and law. However, I checked the rankings on the internet and realized that KCL is a leading university in the UK too and that it enjoys a great prestige abroad (unlike Sciences Po!).

It is very difficult to assess the international recognition of Sciences Po and I fear this lack of ranking recognition might be a setback later when I'm applying to a master’s degree or looking for a job outside the France. Am I right?
    I have been accepted into the European Studies program at Kings College. I am both excited to have the opportunity to live in London but also quite concerned because so far, I have not been able to meet anyone who will be studying there too. I joined the European Studies Fresher’s group on Facebook but nobody talks and the atmosphere there seems somewhat cold…

I would really love to hear some (either British or French) opinions about both the academic and the social life at Kcl.

I feel really disconcerted and lost. Both programmes are interesting and offered at prestigious universities. Should you have attended any classes at either Sciences Po or KCL, please feel free to let me know !!! Your help will be precious!
    I think the best bet is to ask some students that are already currently at the university. They have been there for at least a year, so they can probably give you a better insight on the university atmosphere.

Of course most of us applicants have been there on open days and such, but we haven't had any on hands experience as of yet but from the looks of it, King's is a very friendly and warming place to go and study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maiajijala)

Hey there !

Sciences Po is massively respected outside of France, and many of my Francophonic friends have gone on to do their masters there (or, in fact, have done joint masters with the LSE). Several of them took their undergraduate degrees at KCL.

Kings will certainly be more of an adventure for you - a new culture and a new city, but do not choose Kings for recognition's sake alone. There will be frustrations at both institutions, so factor in how much you'd like to spend three years in Paris vs London.

One thing to take into account however is whether or not you want to work in France after your degree - if you do then I would stick to Sciences Po - French business has a reputation for not recognising foreign degrees as much as they recognise domestic ones.

ReputationRep:
    Status has just been changed to unconditional, so London, here I come!

ReputationRep:
    Course: Nutrition (3 Years)
    Current location: Hong Kong :yep:

Worries?
    Expectations: study hard, play harder. as you all know.

I have a conditional offer, but i missed a grade for chemistry. i've also emailed them about it, whether they would still accept me, but they said " to be fair, we have to wait till A level results are published before answering you." UGH so, i had to wait for another month. I did IB, so all the IB-ers out there, i met the total score and got the Bio Level, but not chem, do you think they would still accept me??:eek3: Also, during my # phone interview, i asked the interviewer and he told me out of 20 students (i know its small.) there are 3-7 international students in one class.
    oh yea, my best friend got into law. (so happy for her)
    Fingers crossed! good luck everyone

ReputationRep:
    I was at Kings College Hall for my first year, can't complain we spent the entire year getting wasted and Kings aren't really very strict on catching up with people who don't go to lectures so thumbs up on that front.

There is a big contrast there are quite a lot of people that come across as very stuck up, but there are also a lot of people that are a good laugh.

you'll have fun, make sure you get involved in whatever your halls organises, and don't worry too much about it if you dont meet anyone on your course... you'll meet plenty of people in your halls that are probably more fun too!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!!! (First post, so I hope I'm doing everything right!)

Course: BA History
    Current Location: Eastern USA
    Expectations: I definitely think it will be challenging, and fun. I'm a history nerd after all!!
    Worries: I'm pretty confident in my decision, but my only real worry is not finding friends and not fitting in very well. As far as I know, I'm the only American doing the full programme, not JYA or exchange. Which is good on one hand, because I will have to branch out instead of just hanging out with fellow Americans as there might not be any...but also kind of frightening for that reason!!! Haha. Though there's a big international community at KCL so I'm not agonising about it.

I also really want to find out what accommodation I've been offered!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting Mental Health Nursing in September =] (Unconditional). I'm currently living in not too far from London. I've recently completed an access course which I must say was incredibly intense.

The main thing I'm looking forward to is meeting new people, I love meeting people! Also I want to get down to some practical work. I'm tired of just sitting in the classroom. I want to get out there and start doing what I'm most passionate about.

My biggest worries are money and failure. I know both are rather cliché but I am deeply concerned about both. I'm my own biggest critic when it comes to my own work and even when grades are good I still think "I could have done better". Money wise I'm freaking out a bit. Money's never been something I've thought much about, or cared for. Suddenly I'm realising how important it really is...

The best part about Uni for me is going to be the experience. London is such an incredible city. Despite being born there and living so close, I've only been there a few times that I can remember.

I'm hoping to get a place in the Stamford Street Apartments (I think that's what it's called).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lsc1918)

Expectations: I definitely think it will be challenging, and fun. I'm a history nerd after all!!
    Worries: I'm pretty confident in my decision, but my only real worry is not finding friends and not fitting in very well. As far as I know, I'm the only American doing the full programme, not JYA or exchange. Which is good on one hand, because I will have to branch out instead of just hanging out with fellow Americans as there might not be any...but also kind of frightening for that reason!!! Haha. Though there's a big international community at KCL so I'm not agonising about it.

I'm coming from America too (not JYA or exchange)! About 5 minutes outside of Washington DC...so it looks like you're not the only one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lsc1918)

What's so scary about mixing with the locals?! You'll probably have more in common with them than the vast majority of the international community. From what I've heard, the groups at uni tend to split into the native English speakers (Americans, British, Australians, Candians, etc.), the South Asians and the Chinese/East Asians, but other than that everyone gets along fine.

If I were going to study in America, I'd love to be the only English guy. That'd be awesome.

I'm sure you'll have no trouble fitting in. Really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCrep)
    I'm coming from America too (not JYA or exchange)! About 5 minutes outside of Washington DC...so it looks like you're not the only one!

Awesome! What are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tetrahydro)
    What's so scary about mixing with the locals?! You'll probably have more in common with them than the vast majority of the international community. From what I've heard, the groups at uni tend to split into the native English speakers (Americans, British, Australians, Candians, etc.), the South Asians and the Chinese/East Asians, but other than that everyone gets along fine.

If I were going to study in America, I'd love to be the only English guy. That'd be awesome.

I'm sure you'll have no trouble fitting in. Really.

Oh sorry, I really wasn't clear in my post; it's not that I'm opposed to hanging with the locals, in fact it's quite the opposite!! The people I've encountered in London are by and large polite and friendly, so it's something I look forward to doing (except for nagging fears). What I meant was that since there's a large international community (and the fact that it's in London) means that the student body will be used to international kids, unlike some of the US schools I visited. Sorry for the confusion, haha.

Thanks for the info, that's what I understand as well.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    :ninja: Do you go to a college on Manchester Road :ninja:?

yes.! how did you know ... haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieRebecca)
    yes.! how did you know ... haha
    I probably go to the same one :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aivi)
    Course: Physics (BSc),

Whoops, sorry for the insanely long post. But now at least Physics is represented on this thread...

Physics too mate , hopefully see you there! im doing cosmology without doubt

and watch out im irish who basically lives with fins so my drinking shall be pretty intense XD

ReputationRep:
    Hello everone!

I know I've been absent from this thread for a few months but I have been busy partying it up in Ibiza. I hope you forgive me.

Just want to wish everybody who are awaiting their A level results (incl myself) good luck! Just over a day to go... *sigh* It's show time. Now or never. Let's hope King's are kind to us all. I know for sure that I'm not giving up whatever my grades turn out to be and if they're not quite there I am going to march to KCL and have a jolly persuasive chat with the admissions officers.

Farewell, brothers and sisters. See you soon!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if King's College are lenient with people not quite reaching their entry requirements? I have applied for French and I am a little worried about not getting the A they require for it.

ReputationRep:
    Woohooooooo met my offer

ReputationRep:
    Kings here I comeeee! :d:d Never been so happy!

ReputationRep:
    When do we find out about accommodation?!?!?!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 19, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.