Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    - Course: Hispanics
    - Current location: Birmingham
    - Worries: That no one else is doing this course haha

ReputationRep:
    wooooooo, I've just got a conditional offer for History and War Studies!! I need 3 As, but I'll hopefully manage it. King's looks amazing! does anyone know when the open day is for prospective history students?

ReputationRep:
    Anybody applied for accommodation yet? What's your first choice? I really want to get a place at Stamford Street Apartments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hattie1992)
    does anyone know when the open day is for prospective history students?
    There are three: 24th February, 3rd of March and 24th of March. I assume you will get an email asking you to book a place at one as that's what I had to do.

EDIT: Just got accommodation information today. I think I will be holding off applying until I have been to the university open day. I know that it the day isn't for us to go around and size up the accommodation but I am sure I will get an hour before or after to run round and look at a few - at the very least from the outside.

ReputationRep:
    Course
    English Language and Communication

Expectations
    New friends, an interesting course, active societies, learning a new language and UCL bashing. Overall, I expect the best time of my life. Well, one of the best times anyway.

Worries
    I'm worried that I'll hate the Waterloo campus. I visited a couple of months ago and it felt like a hospital. It seems ridiculous that English students are placed with dentists and nurses. There's nothing wrong with dentists or nurses but why is English there? Hopefully, we can change that by the time I leave.
    I'm also concerned that I won't have enough time to do everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3wolfgang)
    Course
    English Language and Communication

Expectations
    New friends, an interesting course, active societies, learning a new language and UCL bashing. Overall, I expect the best time of my life. Well, one of the best times anyway.

Worries
    I'm worried that I'll hate the Waterloo campus. I visited a couple of months ago and it felt like a hospital. It seems ridiculous that English students are placed with dentists and nurses. There's nothing wrong with dentists or nurses but why is English there? Hopefully, we can change that by the time I leave.
    I'm also concerned that I won't have enough time to do everything.
    Hey. Same course and also holding an unconditional offer.

I share your views about the Waterloo campus. I wish we were based at the Strand, but as the course is part of the Department of Education I think we're in the Annex (the greyish building before you step out onto Waterloo bridge). Waterloo doesn't feel like a campus as much as Strand or Guy's does, but it's only a place for lectures I suppose. I'll probably make more use of the Maughan library for studying and I'll be at the Strand more anyway for societies, the union etc. My only other concern is adjusting from my fairly quiet Somerset life to living in London!

You're right to say the Waterloo campus looked like a hospital: The Franklin-Wilkins Building was used as the King George Military Hospital during the first world war. The building was constructed between 1912 and 1915 for His Majesty's Stationery Office. It was ideal for conversion to a hospital because of its revolutionary fireproof iron and concrete construction, its ten large elevators, its central heating system and its position close to Waterloo station. Between 1915 and 1919 some 71,000 patients were treated there.

Our course, societies, new friends and UCL bashing are what I'm looking forward too as well. Although I'm not sure about learning a new language. Are you planning on choosing the foreign language module then? I was considering picking up German again, but considering I only have it at GCSE level I don't think I can.

What accommodation are you looking into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MDEH8176)
    Hey. Same course and also holding an unconditional offer.

I share your views about the Waterloo campus. I wish we were based at the Strand, but as the course is part of the Department of Education I think we're in the Annex (the greyish building before you step out onto Waterloo bridge). Waterloo doesn't feel like a campus as much as Strand or Guy's does, but it's only a place for lectures I suppose. I'll probably make more use of the Maughan library for studying and I'll be at the Strand more anyway for societies, the union etc. My only other concern is adjusting from my fairly quiet Somerset life to living in London!

You're right to say the Waterloo campus looked like a hospital: The Franklin-Wilkins Building was used as the King George Military Hospital during the first world war. The building was constructed between 1912 and 1915 for His Majesty's Stationery Office. It was ideal for conversion to a hospital because of its revolutionary fireproof iron and concrete construction, its ten large elevators, its central heating system and its position close to Waterloo station. Between 1915 and 1919 some 71,000 patients were treated there.

Our course, societies, new friends and UCL bashing are what I'm looking forward too as well. Although I'm not sure about learning a new language. Are you planning on choosing the foreign language module then? I was considering picking up German again, but considering I only have it at GCSE level I don't think I can.

What accommodation are you looking into?
    I'm sure you could learn German. They have courses for all levels don't they? I think it could be wangled. Anything's possible with a little persuasion! I definitely want to take the foreign language module. French; if not then I'll build on my German.

Yeah I agree. I'll try to spend more time at Strand than Waterloo. Our area only has classrooms. I tried to look around but the security guard told me there was no point. Thanks, security guard...:rolleyes: Strand looks a lot more active. I think we should try to change the site of our course. With a little activism I think we can manage it.

I have a friend that already goes to UCL. It should be interesting to see how our university rivalry changes our friendship once we steal Bentham.

Somerset? I doubt it's quieter than the Lake District! I don't think I'll have too much trouble adjusting though. I go down to London fairly regularly.

I haven't really considered accommodation yet. I was waiting to hear from other courses. I'm in halls this year as well and I'm so tempted to get catered because it's such an effort to wash dishes! I'll probably go for self-catered though. Otherwise, I'd be wasting all of my nice kitchen equipment. I might consider intercollegiate halls as well.

Have you looked at the societies yet? Any you're thinking of joining?

ReputationRep:
    It should be interesting to see how our university rivalry changes our friendship once we steal Bentham.
    Does anyone else get the suspicion we aren't the first group of fresher's to discuss this idea, and yet no-one has pulled it off (as far as I am aware)? That suggests it might be harder/more criminal than it sounds.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you could learn German. They have courses for all levels don't they? I think it could be wangled. Anything's possible with a little persuasion! I definitely want to take the foreign language module. French; if not then I'll build on my German.

Yeah I agree. I'll try to spend more time at Strand than Waterloo. Our area only has classrooms. I tried to look around but the security guard told me there was no point. Thanks, security guard...:rolleyes: Strand looks a lot more active. I think we should try to change the site of our course. With a little activism I think we can manage it.

I have a friend that already goes to UCL. It should be interesting to see how our university rivalry changes our friendship once we steal Bentham.

Somerset? I doubt it's quieter than the Lake District! I don't think I'll have too much trouble adjusting though. I go down to London fairly regularly.

I haven't really considered accommodation yet. I was waiting to hear from other courses. I'm in halls this year as well and I'm so tempted to get catered because it's such an effort to wash dishes! I'll probably go for self-catered though. Otherwise, I'd be wasting all of my nice kitchen equipment. I might consider intercollegiate halls as well.

Have you looked at the societies yet? Any you're thinking of joining?
    I'm definitely up for igniting the old UCL/King's rivalry. I love that the colleges have a lot of history between them and it would be great to steal Bentham. Reggie is far superior to their mascot! However, like somebody posted above me, aren't we more likely to find ourselves talking to a policeman than being written into the College history if we go charging onto the UCL campus in an attempt to decapitate old Bentham. It would be hilarious though...

You mentioned that you're living in halls at the moment. Are you transferring from a different university then and reapplying to start again on a new course?

For accommodation I have narrowed my choices down in favour of the intercollegiates, followed by Hampstead and then SSA. I like the idea of having catered halls and being located in Bloomsbury.

I also visit London regularly and I know I'll love it there, but I still have a few small doubts. I swear Somerset is at least 95% fields. I'm going to the Lake District in Easter for a short holiday. I've never been so it should be good. I need to get use to hiking as I plan to do the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu in the summer.

I haven't decided on societies yet, but I'll probably just throw myself into as many as possible. I'd love to write for Roar or London Student at some point. I may join the GeekSoc if they have a few Xbox 360 tournaments going (ideally MW2). The Film and Language societies look quite interesting too, but I'm not overly bothered about them. For sport I'd like to join KCL Badminton and maybe Mountaineering & Climbing depending on how much the costs are and if I have the time. I was also looking at the Snooker and Pool society, but the description seems to suggest that you either play competitively or you come along for the social side, i.e. stand in the corner with a pint and watch the good people play. I reckon I'm fairly good though, but I'm definitely not a pro! I may join the LGBT society, but quite frankly it isn't my scene and I doubt I'd fit in.

ReputationRep:
    woohoo. finally got my accommodation application login details through the mail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MDEH8176)
    I'm definitely up for igniting the old UCL/King's rivalry. I love that the colleges have a lot of history between them and it would be great to steal Bentham. Reggie is far superior to their mascot! However, like somebody posted above me, aren't we more likely to find ourselves talking to a policeman than being written into the College history if we go charging onto the UCL campus in an attempt to decapitate old Bentham. It would be hilarious though...

You mentioned that you're living in halls at the moment. Are you transferring from a different university then and reapplying to start again on a new course?

For accommodation I have narrowed my choices down in favour of the intercollegiates, followed by Hampstead and then SSA. I like the idea of having catered halls and being located in Bloomsbury.

I also visit London regularly and I know I'll love it there, but I still have a few small doubts. I swear Somerset is at least 95% fields. I'm going to the Lake District in Easter for a short holiday. I've never been so it should be good. I need to get use to hiking as I plan to do the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu in the summer.

I haven't decided on societies yet, but I'll probably just throw myself into as many as possible. I'd love to write for Roar or London Student at some point. I may join the GeekSoc if they have a few Xbox 360 tournaments going (ideally MW2). The Film and Language societies look quite interesting too, but I'm not overly bothered about them. For sport I'd like to join KCL Badminton and maybe Mountaineering & Climbing depending on how much the costs are and if I have the time. I was also looking at the Snooker and Pool society, but the description seems to suggest that you either play competitively or you come along for the social side, i.e. stand in the corner with a pint and watch the good people play. I reckon I'm fairly good though, but I'm definitely not a pro! I may join the LGBT society, but quite frankly it isn't my scene and I doubt I'd fit in.
    I don't think we should do anything to Bentham. We should do something though.

I think I'll join the European, French, Italian and German societies. I'll look into Film, Photography, Creative Writing, Philosophy, Debate, Dead Parrot, Language, Jazz, Quiz and Art societies as well. I'll stay with the best ones. I might join the fencing club. I'd also like to write for Roar or maybe be involved in student politics. I just hope I have time for everything. I'll also be teaching English as a foreign language and taking the Assiocateship of King's College. Busy!

Have fun on the Inca trail! When are you coming to the Lakes?

I live in halls because I'm taking a Foundation Art and Design course. I needed more time to be certain about which degree I wanted to take and I thought I might as well gain a qualification and have fun at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jake_Thompson)
    Does anyone else get the suspicion we aren't the first group of fresher's to discuss this idea, and yet no-one has pulled it off (as far as I am aware)? That suggests it might be harder/more criminal than it sounds.
    I don't think I actually want to steal Bentham. I respect the guy. We should definitely do something though. The only problem's going to be covertly organising it so that we're not caught but also doing something big enough so we're noticed without being identified.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think we should do anything to Bentham. We should do something though.

I think I'll join the European, French, Italian and German societies. I'll look into Film, Photography, Creative Writing, Philosophy, Debate, Dead Parrot, Language, Jazz, Quiz and Art societies as well. I'll stay with the best ones. I might join the fencing club. I'd also like to write for Roar or maybe be involved in student politics. I just hope I have time for everything. I'll also be teaching English as a foreign language and taking the Associateship of King's College. Busy!

Have fun on the Inca trail! When are you coming to the Lakes?

I live in halls because I'm taking a Foundation Art and Design course. I needed more time to be certain about which degree I wanted to take and I thought I might as well gain a qualification and have fun at the same time.
    I was also thinking of doing the Associateship of King's College. I posted a thread about it on here a while ago, but I didn't get much of a response. I don't think many people take the AKC. I think it looks really interesting though and it will be something to add to your CV. I think it's important to do a lot more at university than just your degree. Creative writing and debating were the other societies I looked at too. You seem interested in a lot of societies! I think it's going to be difficult to be part of 5+ and remain committed to each of them. Although we don't have that many contact hours for our course (about 10 hours).

I'm coming up to the Lake District for Easter (4th - 10th April). I'm on a gap year at the moment working to earn money for university. I should have a good amount saved before I start in September. I can't wait to get back to studying though. I kind of miss it! The course director sent me a list of preliminary reading so I should be fairly prepared even though I took a year out.

ReputationRep:
    just recieved an offer for law with french law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbd)
    through ucas or the king's portal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbd)

me too and im so excited :p: just need to get the grades..!

ReputationRep:
    got an offer for european studies, spanish pathway!!!!!!!! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkat)
    got an offer for european studies, spanish pathway!!!!!!!! :woo:
    Haha, I got mine yesterday and had a similar reaction! I'm also Spanish pathway, I assume you're firming it?

ReputationRep:
    Course- Pharmacology and molecular genetics
    Current location- Hampshire
    Expectations- Quite High
    Worries-Getting lost on the way to lectures and making new friends I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grenneh)
    Haha, I got mine yesterday and had a similar reaction! I'm also Spanish pathway, I assume you're firming it?
    yep, i'm firming it. you? i'm really excited about it. stressing about accomodation now.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.