Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm now so confused :s Just as I was ready to firm up European Studies at Kings I received an offer from the LSE for Government. Although I know I could keep up Spanish through the optional modules at the LSE, I don't know about missing out on the year abroad that comes with European Studies. I know LSE probably has more prestige but I also thought Kings seemed friendlier on the open day...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grenneh)
    I'm now so confused :s Just as I was ready to firm up European Studies at Kings I received an offer from the LSE for Government. Although I know I could keep up Spanish through the optional modules at the LSE, I don't know about missing out on the year abroad that comes with European Studies. I know LSE probably has more prestige but I also thought Kings seemed friendlier on the open day...
    Go for King's!! Although I might be a tiny bit biased :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hattie1992)
    Go for King's!! Although I might be a tiny bit biased :o:
    Hahaha, I preferred the buildings/atmosphere of Kings, I just worry that everyone else will be amazing at Spanish compared to me :/ But then the LSE is such a political hub that a certain intensity comes with it. Basically depends on how much I want to do Spanish! Which course have you chosen?

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, I preferred the buildings/atmosphere of Kings, I just worry that everyone else will be amazing at Spanish compared to me :/ But then the LSE is such a political hub that a certain intensity comes with it. Basically depends on how much I want to do Spanish! Which course have you chosen?
    I applied for History and War Studies. I love History, but I also love politics, and I thought that the War Studies modules looked great so I decided to apply for a joint honours.
    I was going to apply to LSE but I went for UCL instead, and got rejected. I agree that King's definitely has a nice atmosphere and you can never go wrong with taking a language, but then again, LSE is obviously really good on the old politics front. :rolleyes: I'm confused, and it's not even my decision!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conkermon)
    Loco Dice is so awesome right , I've only seen him a couple of times but he actually causes chaos lol and he makes massive tunes. It's cool to hear the UK scene is known abroad, maybe I'm wrong thinking we're behind the rest of Europe, there are definitely a lot of great nights here. I'm guessing you know them already but I really rate Raresh, Rhadoo and the Circo Loco guys for Romanian DJs, they have such a crazy experimental sound.

The accomodation I literally have no idea.. None of them really seem that appealing. Ideally I'd want to be in more social halls that aren't insanely expensive and far away.. Anyone have any reccomendations? What are you thinking? I'm gonna go to an open day on the 24th so maybe I'll get a better idea then but I have a feeling cause of the whole M25 thing I'm gonna end up living at home anyway, which would really suck
    Loco Dice is gooood, m train to brooklyn is one of my favourites. I do know them, Raresh actually just won an award at the Romanian nights awards, or at least so I think. I'm not always a fan of Romanian DJs but there are some good ones there, no doubt.

I was thinking about Hampstead Halls, they're the cheapest and although they're far away I'm hoping there's good transport links and that I don't have to be at the Strand Campus all the time. Then there's intercollegiate halls, although they're a bit more expensive. Well you could rent like a flat somewhere in London... if you really want the independence. There must be all types of prices in London for renting. You're lucky you at least get to go on an open day and ask about all this, I haven't heard anything about one for European Studies yet.

ReputationRep:
    My brother is at kings, the accomidation sounds a bit of a mess. He was lucky and got put right next to all his lectures, by the guys campus and he got into his first choice of accomidation...but loads of the others on his floor are based at the Strand campus (a 4O minute walk away) and ended up with their 4th or 5th choice halls of residence.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for History and War Studies. I love History, but I also love politics, and I thought that the War Studies modules looked great so I decided to apply for a joint honours.
    I was going to apply to LSE but I went for UCL instead, and got rejected. I agree that King's definitely has a nice atmosphere and you can never go wrong with taking a language, but then again, LSE is obviously really good on the old politics front. :rolleyes: I'm confused, and it's not even my decision!
    Hahahaha, I couldn't be any more confused so I thought I'd share it around :rolleyes: War Studies sounds amazing and really interesting, I'm a lil' jealous! I think I'll wait and see how I've done in my January Spanish module, then decide. I just thought the LSE wasn't as inviting as a place, and also worry that everyone there will be political geniuses, whereas King's seemed more...intelligent but accessible if that makes any sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nimboo)
    Yeah the apartment tour was really annoying, waiting outside for ages...I didn't really like the room either :| do you have any idea where you're going to apply for accomodation? I haven't seen any of the others..
    Yeah the development geography did get a bit tedious haha he had a lot to say! But apart from that I thought the day was pretty good (I liked the library aswell haha what a loser)
    I can't remember the name of the tour girl! She had glasses though....?! When they split the room I was on the right hand side, I think!
    same half of the room! lol
    rebecca?i think that was her name...she had a lot of teeth lol.
    And i like the sound of Hampostead so far,simply as it's both the cheapest and sounds more suited to me than the others you? Saying that,i haven't actually seen it.I drove past once and it looked nice enough lol

ReputationRep:
    Hahahaha, I couldn't be any more confused so I thought I'd share it around :rolleyes: War Studies sounds amazing and really interesting, I'm a lil' jealous! I think I'll wait and see how I've done in my January Spanish module, then decide. I just thought the LSE wasn't as inviting as a place, and also worry that everyone there will be political geniuses, whereas King's seemed more...intelligent but accessible if that makes any sense?
    I think King's is unique in that it has a great academic reputation (one of the top 25 universities in the world and is hovering outside of the top 10 in the UK), but the students/lecturers it attracts all seem very friendly, intelligent and down to earth. For a large city university it seems to have a great sense of community and the buildings are definitely the best of all the UoL colleges. I think it's important to put league tables aside and base your decision on five things: the degree, the university, where you'll be happiest, location and accommodation. What you value the most out of those should help you make your decision.

I was encouraged by people to take up my Edinburgh offer instead of King's, however, I hated the city, it was too far from home and I wasn't too fond of the Scottish degree system. Once I'd visited both universities and written down the positives and negatives of each it was actually a very easy decision!

Just go with your own instincts (lthough an LSE offer must be very difficult to turn down). You have a difficult decision to make!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennifer622)
    Unconditional Offer for English Lit and Lang! Anyone else? I'm so so excited!
    Wow! Do you already have your grades or are they just uber awesome :blush:

I guess I'll be firming my English offer, as soon as I can decide on an insurance.

ReputationRep:
    -Course- Law
    - Current location- Paris (Gap year, Originally Newcastle)

-Worries- Accommodation- I have literally never even visited King's, I have a full time job here in France and it's not easy to get to London for open days etc. (talking of open days, are there any more coming up?!)
    I couldn't find the prices of the different accomm. on the King's website (obviously because I'm not actually intelligent enough to go there...must of just bluffed it enough...)
    Does anyone who actually has visited the different accommodation want to give me some tips?
    I want self-catering so I guess not the inter-collegiate. I liked the look of the Stamford Street apartments or whatever they're called, with the en-suite, but are they really expensive?
    Seriously, any advice welcome.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, boys and girls,

I've not been on here much lately so I will update the list soon. What I did do in the mean time was go to the open day on 3rd March! It was simply great! As you may know I'm planning to do Law, so the open day was Law/Social Science orientated. The variety of people was intriguing! And now the bad kind of intriguing, but the WOW-we're-all-so-different-yet-equally-amazing Everyone there was friendly and I couldn't help but drag myself into a psycho-political debate with the one of the current students/guides. The walk to view the accomodation was a bit irrelevant as I'm not planning to actually apply for it. The rest of the time was used more wisely. Other than having a chance to get to know some interesting people, we received a brilliant lecture on Criminology and International Policing, as well as a more generic law lecture from the prof. of Family law. A huge emphasis was rightfully placed on the current involvement of tutors in the international and domestic legal systems. The lecture was what won it for me. During it,if I wanted to stand up and debate, ellaborate and get involved. It felt...like home After leaving I wondered off back home, throught alleys packed with chambers and law firms, whilst still thinking about how amazing next year is going to be. It was great.

For those who still hold doubts - choose KCL and Reggie will make sure you are triumphant in this game of life.

P.S. KCL is a family. UCL is just an institution.

ReputationRep:
    I hope the KCL English open day isn't in the next month, else I won't be able to go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FestiveReece)
    same half of the room! lol
    rebecca?i think that was her name...she had a lot of teeth lol.
    And i like the sound of Hampostead so far,simply as it's both the cheapest and sounds more suited to me than the others you? Saying that,i haven't actually seen it.I drove past once and it looked nice enough lol
    haha yeah I think her name was rebecca thinking about it!
    I'm really not sure :s yeahh Hampstead sounds really nice, the only thing would be the fact its a little further out (getting up for morning lectures etc.)
    oh well....will just have to see what they give me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k8i2811)
    -Course- Law
    - Current location- Paris (Gap year, Originally Newcastle)

-Worries- Accommodation- I have literally never even visited King's, I have a full time job here in France and it's not easy to get to London for open days etc. (talking of open days, are there any more coming up?!)
    I couldn't find the prices of the different accomm. on the King's website (obviously because I'm not actually intelligent enough to go there...must of just bluffed it enough...)
    Does anyone who actually has visited the different accommodation want to give me some tips?
    I want self-catering so I guess not the inter-collegiate. I liked the look of the Stamford Street apartments or whatever they're called, with the en-suite, but are they really expensive?
    Seriously, any advice welcome.
    Since I posted this I found the MyAccommodation thing on a pdf file on the website, so have all the info now. Can't believe how much more expensive the SS apartments and Dover whatever apartments are...

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of SS because it's closest to the Strand! But it's so expensive :'(

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm, the accomodation front is a bit annoying. There isn't anywhere near the Strand campus that isn't ridiculously expensive, and apparently Stanford Street is really over subscribed, so I don't really have a clue where I want/will end up being put.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k8i2811)
    Since I posted this I found the MyAccommodation thing on a pdf file on the website, so have all the info now. Can't believe how much more expensive the SS apartments and Dover whatever apartments are...
    you should see Liberty Housing and College Hall (intercolls), they are like £9000 and £6000. crazy expensive.

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm, the accomodation front is a bit annoying. There isn't anywhere near the Strand campus that isn't ridiculously expensive, and apparently Stanford Street is really over subscribed, so I don't really have a clue where I want/will end up being put.
    you could try Wolfson? Apparently bus/tube transport from Wolfson is much more convenient to Strand, than Great Dover Street according to my friend who stays in Wolfson.

and some of the further residences like King's College Hall provides shuttle bus service to do its round through Denmark Hill, St Thomas and Waterloo if I am not wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    you could try Wolfson? Apparently bus/tube transport from Wolfson is much more convenient to Strand, than Great Dover Street according to my friend who stays in Wolfson.

and some of the further residences like King's College Hall provides shuttle bus service to do its round through Denmark Hill, St Thomas and Waterloo if I am not wrong.
    Thanks for the info. It's just the whole tower block thing that kind of puts me off Wolfson, which sounds really snobby. :o:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 19, 2010

University open days

1. King's College London
    Arts and Humanities (Strand Campus) Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.