Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hattie1992)
    Thanks for the info. It's just the whole tower block thing that kind of puts me off Wolfson, which sounds really snobby. :o:
    hahah.. well its london i guess, overpopulated and expensive city. going up is the only way i suppose, as opposed to a sprawling campus residence.

in the King's website, under the different halls and residences, they state whether shuttle bus services are provided along with the timings and rounds, you could probably check that out to confirm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    you should see Liberty Housing and College Hall (intercolls), they are like £9000 and £6000. crazy expensive.
    Yeah college hall is very expensive but I've done some maths and worked out it may be cheaper in the long run. Because the apartments are like 5400 or something and then college hall is 6100 or something but catered. If you make use of the catered food then it will probably end up about the same or cheaper (i think the price of the catering is something like 3.50 a day when you work it out but I did it haphazardly(
    And because it's recently refurbished it might be nicer?
    Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I dunno what to do about accommodation choices

ReputationRep:
    i'm really keen on hampstead...although it's quite far from strand campus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkat)
    i'm really keen on hampstead...although it's quite far from strand campus.
    If I meet the condition requirements, I'm in the strand also!! SS looks really nice, but so expensive. I think Wolfson looks like my least favourite. :blush:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    If I meet the condition requirements, I'm in the strand also!! SS looks really nice, but so expensive. I think Wolfson looks like my least favourite. :blush:
    ss does look nice. also, some of the intercollegiate halls seem ok. really don't know what to do.lol. what course will you hopefully be doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkat)
    ss does look nice. also, some of the intercollegiate halls seem ok. really don't know what to do.lol. what course will you hopefully be doing?
    :afraid: IF I GET THE GRADES:

English :love: :afraid: I'm just trying not to set my heart on KCL incase I DON'T get in :afraid:OMmgmgmgigeigueoguegnue9ugo3!!!! !

What about you?

Oh and, aren't the intercollegiate halls quite expensive? And a bit.. far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k8i2811)
    Yeah college hall is very expensive but I've done some maths and worked out it may be cheaper in the long run. Because the apartments are like 5400 or something and then college hall is 6100 or something but catered. If you make use of the catered food then it will probably end up about the same or cheaper (i think the price of the catering is something like 3.50 a day when you work it out but I did it haphazardly(
    And because it's recently refurbished it might be nicer?
    Any thoughts?
    ohh.. i didn't want my accommodation to be catered. yeah that was one of the primary things i decided when i make my accommodation selection.

cause from what i heard from my seniors, it is really inconvenient to make it back in time for the meal times sometimes, so they recommended me to go for self-catered/non-catered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    :afraid: IF I GET THE GRADES:

English :love: :afraid: I'm just trying not to set my heart on KCL incase I DON'T get in :afraid:OMmgmgmgigeigueoguegnue9ugo3!!!! !

What about you?

Oh and, aren't the intercollegiate halls quite expensive? And a bit.. far?
    you'll be fine, i'm sure. don't worry about it. well done for getting an offer for english though. my friend's been waiting for ages and she still hasn't heard anything.
    my course is european studies, spanish pathway. quite exciting, get to go to Barcelona for my 3rd year.
    well, intercollegiate halls are actually less expensive than ss and wolfson i think... by £500. or at leats so i remember from the accomodation pdf on the king's website.and they'r enot as far as hampstead, they're sort of near ucl, more up north but not that far.

ReputationRep:
    - Course LAW
    - Current location Some field in Somerset that I am thrilled to be escaping from very soon!
    - Expectations Literally JUST confirmed my unconditional offer and now I'm bouncing with excitement about starting my course. On a gap year which has been dragging, especially recently, and can't wait for it to end... Also really looking forward to meeting new people and making lots of friends. And who can forget the culture and the shops?
    - Worries Went to Birmingham Uni last year for five weeks and dropped out partly because the course was wrong, but partly because I didn't meet a single person that I had anything in common with... Considering I'm really friendly and approachable, I still don't get it. PRAYING the same doesn't happen at King's, but one of my best friends is already there doing Medicine, so I know someone anyway
    - etc... See you all in September! I can't wait!!! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexishawks1990)
    - Course LAW
    - Current location Some field in Somerset that I am thrilled to be escaping from very soon!
    - Expectations Literally JUST confirmed my unconditional offer and now I'm bouncing with excitement about starting my course. On a gap year which has been dragging, especially recently, and can't wait for it to end... Also really looking forward to meeting new people and making lots of friends. And who can forget the culture and the shops?
    - Worries Went to Birmingham Uni last year for five weeks and dropped out partly because the course was wrong, but partly because I didn't meet a single person that I had anything in common with... Considering I'm really friendly and approachable, I still don't get it. PRAYING the same doesn't happen at King's, but one of my best friends is already there doing Medicine, so I know someone anyway
    - etc... See you all in September! I can't wait!!! :woo:
    I'm on a very boring gap year as well and it seems to have lasted for ages! The only positives I can think of is that it's made me more excited about university rather than feeling nervous/not ready and that I've saved a good amount of money. I'll be able to hit Oxford Street regularly when I get to London.

I'm also from one of the many fields in Somerset! I am quite fond of home and am slightly worried about adjusting to London. I adore the city though and every time I'm there I just never want to leave. Still, it's going to be quite a big change for me. It's only two hours away via train so I can always pop home for the occasional weekend. My Mum's a hairdresser and has been cutting my hair for years; I refuse to go elsewhere! I think I'll miss her too much not to visit at least every three weeks (the haircut is just an excuse to cover up the fact that I'm a right Mummy's Boy). :p:

ReputationRep:
    Course - Law (How the hell did I get in?! Haha)
    Current Location - Wakefield Long ways away.
    Expectations - A lot. New kinda... expirience. Life in London. So excited.
    Worries - All normal ones. Hard course, living away from home, will I make new friends?! But... yeah. I'll be fine =) Nice to see all you guys firming Kings!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have accepted King's as my firm to do History,

anyone else studying History?

ReputationRep:
    - Course -- Law!
    - Current location -- West Sussex
    - Expectations -- I'm trying not to have too many expectations and take it day by day!
    - Worries -- I won't enjoy the course..

I left Warwick uni after a term b/c I didn't enjoy the course/place and wanted somewhere closer to home, and in a city.. so am so thrilled to have an offer from Kings! I didn't apply through ucas in time for Oxford, so I was thinking about taking another gap year & starting 2011 but might just bite the bullet and go for Kings. Working in the rest of my gap year atm, so will hopefully be all ready for education after 5 months! I live next to a station & it's a direct train ride to London (50mins) so might commute in the first year (apparently Kings get home-stay students to meet each other which is good!)..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missemma91)
    I left Warwick uni after a term b/c I didn't enjoy the course/place and wanted somewhere closer to home, and in a city..
    Haha snap, but it took me a year to make that decision lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MDEH8176)
    I'm on a very boring gap year as well and it seems to have lasted for ages! The only positives I can think of is that it's made me more excited about university rather than feeling nervous/not ready and that I've saved a good amount of money. I'll be able to hit Oxford Street regularly when I get to London.

I'm also from one of the many fields in Somerset! I am quite fond of home and am slightly worried about adjusting to London. I adore the city though and every time I'm there I just never want to leave. Still, it's going to be quite a big change for me. It's only two hours away via train so I can always pop home for the occasional weekend. My Mum's a hairdresser and has been cutting my hair for years; I refuse to go elsewhere! I think I'll miss her too much not to visit at least every three weeks (the haircut is just an excuse to cover up the fact that I'm a right Mummy's Boy). :p:
    Wholly agree with looking forward to hitting Oxford Street regularly! I'll probably spend all of my time chained to the doors of Selfridges Doesn't bode well for my studies, I suppose...
    And am THRILLED to meet another person from a field in Somerset! I thought I was the only human here... Wherabouts do you live? I'm sort of near Castle Cary/Glastonbury/Street? London's only an hour and 35 on the train and I go all the time as I've got lots of family and friends there so I can't think it'll be much of a "change" for me. Or if it is, its a change I'm looking forward to very much!
    You made me laugh so much with the thing about your mum cutting your hair :p: I will admit that I'm quite fond of my own hairdresser, too... I'll probably be forever returning to Somerset to get my highlights done...

ReputationRep:
    Wholly agree with looking forward to hitting Oxford Street regularly! I'll probably spend all of my time chained to the doors of Selfridges Doesn't bode well for my studies, I suppose...
    And am THRILLED to meet another person from a field in Somerset! I thought I was the only human here... Wherabouts do you live? I'm sort of near Castle Cary/Glastonbury/Street? London's only an hour and 35 on the train and I go all the time as I've got lots of family and friends there so I can't think it'll be much of a "change" for me. Or if it is, its a change I'm looking forward to very much!
    You made me laugh so much with the thing about your mum cutting your hair :p: I will admit that I'm quite fond of my own hairdresser, too... I'll probably be forever returning to Somerset to get my highlights done...
    I'm glad to meet somebody from Somerset too. There's quite a few people who are doing my course on here, but hardly anybody local to us. :p:

I live on the outskirts of Yeovil. To get to London via train it takes about 2hrs 20mins from Yeovil Junction. I'm guessing that you take it from Castle Cary? How are you planning on getting everything to King's? I think I'm going to go up on the train with my Mum and sister so they can help carry a few things. A lot of my friends filled up their cars, but I don't think driving into central London is a good idea!

I visit London regularly, but have never stayed for longer than a week. You're lucky that you have friends and family already there; I will be all on my own at first. I'm hoping I get some friendly and genuine flatmates. I'm pretty laid back and easy to get along with, but I'm still a bit nervous about meeting everybody at the beginning.

I really like London and I have no worries for my first year, but it's finding accommodation in my second and third years that bothers me. I mean, where do you even begin looking?! I was considering commuting from home as my subject has far more hours dedicated to independent study than lectures. I think 2hrs+ may be a little too far though...

I will be shopping way too much in the first few weeks. I'll have all my gap year money in my bank and nobody sensible around to tell me not to spend too much! There's so many events like the Autumn Ball, fancy dress nights, the boat party on the Thames, truffle shuffle (80s night) and gigs that will justify a spending spree at the beginning of term though. :woo:

I've done Oxford Street at Christmas and in the New Year sales so I'm pretty well trained. My Mum is terrified of the huge Primark there. She went in with the intention of buying a basket full, but only picked up a few pairs of socks before running out of the store in panic over the crowds. We queued to get in too! I don't really like Primark aside from socks and plain T-shirts to wear underneath shirts etc. I think I prefer the shops around Covent Garden tube station when it's ridiculously busy.

ReputationRep:
    Course - Law
    Current location - Devon
    Expectations - I can't wait to live in London, it's going to be amazing!
    Worries - That I'll screw up my degree by partying too hard.

ReputationRep:
    - And who can forget the culture and the shops?
    I totally agree , the shopping will be AMAZING. Selfridges is one of my favourtie places on earth haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MDEH8176)
    I'm glad to meet somebody from Somerset too. There's quite a few people who are doing my course on here, but hardly anybody local to us. :p:

I live on the outskirts of Yeovil. To get to London via train it takes about 2hrs 20mins from Yeovil Junction. I'm guessing that you take it from Castle Cary? How are you planning on getting everything to King's? I think I'm going to go up on the train with my Mum and sister so they can help carry a few things. A lot of my friends filled up their cars, but I don't think driving into central London is a good idea!

I visit London regularly, but have never stayed for longer than a week. You're lucky that you have friends and family already there; I will be all on my own at first. I'm hoping I get some friendly and genuine flatmates. I'm pretty laid back and easy to get along with, but I'm still a bit nervous about meeting everybody at the beginning.

I really like London and I have no worries for my first year, but it's finding accommodation in my second and third years that bothers me. I mean, where do you even begin looking?! I was considering commuting from home as my subject has far more hours dedicated to independent study than lectures. I think 2hrs+ may be a little too far though...

I will be shopping way too much in the first few weeks. I'll have all my gap year money in my bank and nobody sensible around to tell me not to spend too much! There's so many events like the Autumn Ball, fancy dress nights, the boat party on the Thames, truffle shuffle (80s night) and gigs that will justify a spending spree at the beginning of term though. :woo:

I've done Oxford Street at Christmas and in the New Year sales so I'm pretty well trained. My Mum is terrified of the huge Primark there. She went in with the intention of buying a basket full, but only picked up a few pairs of socks before running out of the store in panic over the crowds. We queued to get in too! I don't really like Primark aside from socks and plain T-shirts to wear underneath shirts etc. I think I prefer the shops around Covent Garden tube station when it's ridiculously busy.
    Yeovil? You’re kidding! It’s my closest big town and I go there all the time – used to more, though, because I went to school in Sherborne. You might have heard of Leweston? Lovely all-girls Catholic Convent on a hill :cool: I do miss it – it was so St Trinians at times!!

And yep, I go from Cary, it’s so much quicker! I think we’re planning on driving up because I have a ridiculous amount of possessions and as I’ll probably be self-catered I can’t see me lugging boxes of saucepans up on the train! Daddy’s very used to driving through central London, though, so it should be fine.

Hoping I get friendly flatmates too as one of the reasons I dropped out of Birmingham was because I had NOTHING in common with my flatmates. Or, really, anyone I met there, which still puzzles me because I usually make friends really easily, once people get over the fact that I talk far too much One of my closest friends is already studying Medicine at King’s so hopefully I’ll share with her come second year. Failing that, I might impose myself on my sister, though no doubt that will lead to permanently babysitting my nieces and nephews! What accommodation do you think you’ll go for? I’m probably putting Stamford Street because its close to the Strand Campus.

Money is something I am sadly lacking in having saved up…I’m a total spendthrift. It’s dreadful. I get being scared of Primark, too. It terrifies me, but that’s mostly because I’m a designer-whore. At least I can admit it, I suppose. Covent Garden is good for shopping and I love Westfield, but last time I went it was so busy I left due to claustrophobia!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 19, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. King's College London
    Arts and Humanities (Strand Campus) Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.