Turn on thread page Beta

I'm really upset :'( watch

ReputationRep:
    My driving test is tomorrow and before today I was feeling confident about it- having past my mock test with my instructor and as I have had sooo many lessons (like 40 hours) but today my instructor said something which completely broke down my confidence. He said "I know you really want to pass but I'll sit in the car with you for THIS test" and I was like "woah.. do you think I'm going fail?" and he said "well.. a lot of people do fail first time".. If my instructor thinks I'm going to fail.. what am i doing?!

ReputationRep:
    He just wants to witness you passing your test. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    aww thanks aninja

ReputationRep:
    I would try not to let it get to you- he is probably just saying for this test in general, not that he thinks your gonna fail!
    It should be up to you really whether you want him there or not!

Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J8756)
    My driving test is tomorrow and before today I was feeling confident about it- having past my mock test with my instructor and as I have had sooo many lessons (like 40 hours) but today my instructor said something which completely broke down my confidence. He said "I know you really want to pass but I'll sit in the car with you for THIS test" and I was like "woah.. do you think I'm going fail?" and he said "well.. a lot of people do fail first time".. If my instructor thinks I'm going to fail.. what am i doing?!
    It's your choice whether you want him in the car or not. If you feel like him being there is going to put you under unnecessary pressure, then tell him that and he won't be there. As hard as it is, you've got to not let the test get to you. The examiner (if they are doing their job properly) should try and put you at ease. People who fail first time mainly due so because of nerves and not knowing what to expect - if you can overcome that then you should be alright.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think he meant anything,you have to trust yourself that you can do it ,you practised for 40 hours so dont let your work vanish because of fear ,wishing you luck

ReputationRep:
    I had a conversation about philosophy with my examiner during my test :p: Being relaxed is the key, as it is for any kind of test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J8756)
    U hav a cool caring instructor he is coming with u to witness your driving.....my instructor left me alone to do the test.......i hate him! :mad:

Anyway I did very well....passed the test in flying colours. I think I could be one of the best drivers in Britain. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    My instructor gave me the option, he probably just wants to see if theres anything you di differently in the test, so if you do fail he can work on it with you, that he wants to see you in the test probably just means that he cant think of anything that would fail you *from what he has seen* but some people drive differently in their actual exams due to nerves.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's something like 60% of people that fail first time isn't it? It's SO easy to do, you can be a perfectly capable driver yet still make a silly slip up that many very experienced drivers make every day :yep:

(Original post by ourlastmemory)
    Well it's something like 60% of people that fail first time isn't it? It's SO easy to do, you can be a perfectly capable driver yet still make a silly slip up that many very experienced drivers make every day :yep:
    Actually I think its 80%, something I remember reading said only 1 in 5 pass their test first time. And it's not necessarily you being a bad driver, it's not knowing what the procedure is. When you go for it the second time, you know exactly what to expect and can relax far more easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Actually I think its 80%, something I remember reading said only 1 in 5 pass their test first time. And it's not necessarily you being a bad driver, it's not knowing what the procedure is. When you go for it the second time, you know exactly what to expect and can relax far more easily.

:eek: Is it that many? Crazy stuff. To be honest it never even crossed my mind that I would fail my test (and I didn't; passed first time) - I think confidence and calmness definitely plays a major role. My little brother was absolutely bricking it the first time he took his test, and it really showed in the number of silly little mistakes that he made.

OP, as I see it, your instructor just wants to see how you react to the test conditions so he can pick up on anything that appears to be a particular weakness to work on for next time if you fail. It's by no means him saying you're going to fail, but his observations really will be helpful to you if you do.

Anyway, good luck and DON'T PANIC!!! I'm sure you'll do really well

Let us know how it goes

ReputationRep:
    It'll be fine he's just a caring intructer if he wants to be there for ur real exam dont worry and try not to be nervous and o GUD LUCK

ReputationRep:
    He doesn't think you're going to fail. You just gotta be realistic: unless you are literally the best driver in the world, there is always going to be a chance that you will fail your test. Its not like it makes much difference to the instructor: if you are using his car, he will only be sitting in the test centre waiting for you. If you think his presence will unnerve you, just ask him not to come. Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    He's trying to con you to pay for more lessons.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think he meant it as an insult directed at you personally, more of a general statement. Most people do fail on their first test. Just so you know, your instructor doesn't have to sit in on the test unless you want them to. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Him and your examiner are going to gang rape you! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J8756)
    what he means is a lot of examiners fail you if it's your first test regardless of how you drive and he wants to put them off doing that

ReputationRep:
    I Failed :'( 12 Minors And 1 Major :'(

ReputationRep:
    sorry to hear you passed
    i also failed my first test, took my 3rd test to pass
    i only know one person who passed on their 1st test, so to fail on the 1st test is not uncommon
    you may just have had a strict examiner
    just keep going at it, have a few more practice lessons and i'm sure you will pass next time with flying colours!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.