Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do men dislike... watch

Why do boys/men often take a strong disliking to the person who is dating their sister, daughter, or mother (unless it's their dad)?

My sister has been dating people - but for some reason which I can't pinpoint, I'm always really uncomfortable knowing about it, and deep down really don't like the people that she dates, kind of by default.

Anyone know why this happens? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Lol all guys are over protective of their younger sisters and daughters etc because they think they know what guys are like
    (seeing as they are guys)

ReputationRep:
    Interesting.. Personal grudge perhaps? Jealousy? :p: The sister/ mother suddenly spends a lot of time with the boyfriend, which takes some guys a while to get used to.

ReputationRep:
    some guy was either innocently flirting with or bullying my sister, I couldnt remember which, anywho i punched him in the face. School suspended me

ReputationRep:
    I don't, my sister can date who she wants. If he's a prick I'll sort him out though.

But then that doesn't really explain the whole "You don't date your friend's sister" thing.

I mean, a guy might not like it if some stranger is going out with his sister, because he doesn't trust him. Surely he wouldn't mind if the person dating his sister is someone he actually knows and likes?
    Or does he expect his sister to become a nun?

And like, people don't like it when their mothers marry someone new either. Clearly if the relationship is serious enough for them to get married, then it's unlikely the guy is just going to take advantage of her or something.

It just seems so irrational, but really odd that it's exactly how I'm feeling!

ReputationRep:
    i think the saying: daughters are the gods curse on me for being men kinda fits quite well

ReputationRep:
    It's because real guys (not pussy gayboys) are here to protect females, regardless of who they are or their relationship with them. Therefore it only makes sense that we must protect females in our family, but we also feel the instinct to protect all other females we meet.

(Original post by time.to.dance)
    The sister/ mother suddenly spends a lot of time with the boyfriend, which takes some guys a while to get used to.
    I don't think it's that. I don't spend much time with my sister anyway, she lives quite far away from me. I couldn't really be jealous just because she's paying someone else lots of attention...

And girls don't really seem to mind much when their brother/dad/son goes out with someone?

ReputationRep:
    It's just instinctive for a guy to be protective of his sister or daughter or whatever.

I don't think its irrational at all, I know what guys are like.

ReputationRep:
    I disliked my mum's old boyfriend because he was a chav prick who tried to control her. I finally managed to talk her into leaving him when he slapped her, but even then it was a struggle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Why do boys/men often take a strong disliking to the person who is dating their sister, daughter, or mother (unless it's their dad)?

My sister has been dating people - but for some reason which I can't pinpoint, I'm always really uncomfortable knowing about it, and deep down really don't like the people that she dates, kind of by default.

Anyone know why this happens? :confused:
    No offence but this is so sweet! :cute:
    I've always wanted to have a brother :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Might be something to do with the old idea of the posession of women, i.e. you don't want to share them with anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    My brother couldn't give a flying ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadarn)
    i think the saying: daughters are the gods curse on me for being men kinda fits quite well
    Yer, that old saying...

ReputationRep:
    its cuz u know what that bloke is thinking who is with ur sister cuz thats wat we think bout other peoples, mates shouldnt date their mates sister cuz if it goes wrong its guna gt messy 9 times out of 10 surely

ReputationRep:
    My brother doesn't seem like he'd give a ****, he's so laid back and non-confrontational usually. But now I have a serious boyfriend he's always making comments about him being a bad influence, tosser, etc. It's weird. :s

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a Sister or a Daughter, and my Parents are still together. I don't think I can offer much of an explanation to the OP's question.

I guess the animosity emerges due to the OP's desire to protect his Sister. Also, the idea that this person is doing all kinds of dirty things to the OP's Sister may be disconcerting for the OP.

ReputationRep:
    In nature siblings are fair game as sexual partners, and well sexual partners are what all men are designed to seek to protect, especially from other males so I believe its instinctive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supersteiger)
    My brother doesn't seem like he'd give a ****, he's so laid back and non-confrontational usually. But now I have a serious boyfriend he's always making comments about him being a bad influence, tosser, etc. It's weird. :s
    I'm an incredibly laid back guy, but if anything happened to my sisters I'd be there to defend them within a flash; quite possibly very violently.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.