Turn on thread page Beta

Working in another country. watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to look into getting a job abroad this summer, and I was wondering, if you have a passport for another country (I know this means you are a citizen and don't need a visa), do you need anything like a work permit or tax number etc. to work there? I mean I wasn't born there. :confused:

Also, how hard is it to get a job abroad? I'll pretty much do anything that requires no qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    I'm going to look into getting a job abroad this summer, and I was wondering, if you have a passport for another country (I know this means you are a citizen and don't need a visa), do you need anything like a work permit or tax number etc. to work there? I mean I wasn't born there. :confused:

Also, how hard is it to get a job abroad? I'll pretty much do anything that requires no qualifications.
    Lol. That's just wrong.

But no you don't need a work permit (dunno about Asia though -- China and etc). I gather you don't plan on starting a business or anything :p:

Also, where is "abroad"? I mean, it will be harder for you to get a job in less touristy countries during the summer. So it all depends on the country - if you speak the language and etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunOfABeach)
    Lol. That's just wrong.

But no you don't need a work permit (dunno about Asia though -- China and etc). I gather you don't plan on starting a business or anything :p:

Also, where is "abroad"? I mean, it will be harder for you to get a job in less touristy countries during the summer. So it all depends on the country - if you speak the language and etc.
    Haha you know what I mean! New Zealand?

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult to answer that questions since there are close to 200 countries in the world, and really varies by country! You will have a much easier time finding a job where you speak the local language, than if not, even if it's an unskilled job.

ReputationRep:
    New Zealand will have winter during our summer, so don't know how touristy NZ is in the winter... Either way there are certainly jobs which aren't related to tourism, but without qualifications (other than GCSE/A-level?) it is always hard to get any job except like supermarkets and even so I don't see a real reason why it would be easier than in UK.

You shouldn't need any work permit or similar if you're a citizen (or it is within EU I think, but this is not applicable here).

ReputationRep:
    Haha you know what I mean! New Zealand?
    So my summer argument fails. But yeah it's not that different from Britain in that respect (getting a job).

edit: beaten up to it... ^ nota bene :

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nota bene)
    New Zealand will have winter during our summer, so don't know how touristy NZ is in the winter... Either way there are certainly jobs which aren't related to tourism, but without qualifications (other than GCSE/A-level?) it is always hard to get any job except like supermarkets and even so I don't see a real reason why it would be easier than in UK.

You shouldn't need any work permit or similar if you're a citizen (or it is within EU I think, but this is not applicable here).
    (Original post by SunOfABeach)
    So my summer argument fails. But yeah it's not that different from Britain in that respect (getting a job).
    Damn, so pretty difficult. I'll try properly when exams are over, like in Feb, but if I can't get one then I might just have to settle for a holiday instead :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you're thinking of New Zealand..........well as you said, if you're willing to do pretty much anything (typical traveller jobs wise anyway like cleaning, fruit picking, hostel work, au pairing etc) then you'll be fine. Check out Backpacker Board's job listings for what sort of jobs are around at the moment - that's where I found my job in 2007/08. There's obviously more jobs around during summer, but the tourist season in NZ is not totally dead what with the ski season and European tourists coming over during their summer.

To work in NZ as a British citizen you'll need a Working Holiday Visa, which lasts 12 months and costs £50, though you can extend it to 23 months later subject to x-rays and a medical. You can apply online for the Visa, mine took 24 hours to be approved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemini89)
    If you're thinking of New Zealand..........well as you said, if you're willing to do pretty much anything (typical traveller jobs wise anyway like cleaning, fruit picking, hostel work, au pairing etc) then you'll be fine. Check out Backpacker Board's job listings for what sort of jobs are around at the moment - that's where I found my job in 2007/08. There's obviously more jobs around during summer, but the tourist season in NZ is not totally dead what with the ski season and European tourists coming over during their summer.

To work in NZ as a British citizen you'll need a Working Holiday Visa, which lasts 12 months and costs £50, though you can extend it to 23 months later subject to x-rays and a medical. You can apply online for the Visa, mine took 24 hours to be approved.
    Thank you, that's a really helpful site. How did you find accommodation when you worked there? Also, can I not just work there as a new zealand citizen?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, that's a really helpful site. How did you find accommodation when you worked there? Also, can I not just work there as a new zealand citizen?
    What, you mean you're actually a NZ citizen already? Did I completely miss that essential point lol. If so, then yeah, sure, ignore me My job included accommodation......quite a few on that website do. Most traveller jobs don't really mean you earn much, it's more about sorting living arrangements and food and meeting people easily!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemini89)
    What, you mean you're actually a NZ citizen already? Did I completely miss that essential point lol. If so, then yeah, sure, ignore me My job included accommodation......quite a few on that website do. Most traveller jobs don't really mean you earn much, it's more about sorting living arrangements and food and meeting people easily!!
    Ok cool, thanks! Ahh I really hope I can find one, it'd be so much fun.

ReputationRep:
    Ok cool, thanks! Ahh I really hope I can find one, it'd be so much fun.
    Aha sorry I just reread your first post....oops. So yeah, some jobs in NZ will require you to have an IRD number (tax number) and you can apply for this with two forms of ID (in your case, your NZ passport and something else like a UK driving license) and then they send the number to you. Then you can use the IRD number to open a NZ bank account. Have a look here for more info. I went to an internet cafe the day I arrived in NZ, printing out the form, photocopied my ID and faxed it all over to the IRD people and got my tax number back the same day.

You could also try WWoofing, which is working a few hours a day on an organic farm (which has a loose definition, could be a proper dairy farm or a yoga retreat which grows organic veg) in exchange for room and board. Lots of really cool locations where you can do this, all over the country, see here

Last thing I'll say this is that a lot of the employers on the Backpacker board website want you to be in NZ when you apply - mainly cos there's SO many travellers around and they want someone right there and then, rather than in a few weeks time.

ReputationRep:
    Like others have said, you would be best going there in New Zealand summer (Dec-Feb) if you're looking for work as this is when tourism-related jobs and fruit-picking jobs come into season, so to speak. If you're a NZ citizen, you won't need a work permit, you already have the right to work there. New Zealand's employment situation isn't a whole lot better than it is here, so I would be wary of going over there without plenty of money saved up in case it takes you a while to find work. Bear in mind also that although Auckland and Wellington are the largest cities, they're also much more expensive to live in (especially in terms of rent). Dunedin and Christchurch are a lot more affordable. And Otago is a good place to look for fruit-picking jobs :-)

ReputationRep:
    I would advise against it. Having a British passport is a ticket many in other countries would only dream off. The money to be made is in Britain and America..

You should check out BUNAC:

http://www.bunac.org/

I booked my trip through them - I lived and worked in Canada for a year and they were great. They'll sort out everything for you and companies will advertise through them, which is handy for finding jobs.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.