Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    No, it's not at all stupid. :confused:

You think most beliefs from Judeo-Christian culture, ie. prohibitions on murder, theft, rights to own land and property, encouragement of reciprocally and mutually benevolent actions in the law etc. etc. are outdated in today's society? :rolleyes:

You obviously grasp the concept of "most" wrong... what you'll gladly accept, you refuse or ignore its source.
    Whoops lol. Didn't really get my point across very well there. I meant most of the outdated laws that just create stigmas and glass cielings, because you quoted the guy who was talking about people being free to be destructive to society. Laws today might have been taken from the bible, but today serve a different purpose than pleasing god is what I'm trying to say.. you know? :P

ReputationRep:
    I seriously don't get what you're massive problem is.

How can you justify feeling offended and engulfed in such a strong feeling of absolute disgust (comparing it to what a Jew must feel at seeing a Nazi symbol) when you see something like a Church, Synagogue or Mosque?

If you ever went into one of these buildings, (extremist exceptions aside) you'd meet modern, normal people who live in today's Britain like you and I but believe in their respective faiths as a part of their personal identity and psyche. I've been in plenty of Churches (across the full spectrum of denominations) in several countries and many Masajid (Mosques) too and I know a lot of these places inside out.

I understand the position of an atheist / antitheist who wants to sever State ties with the Church etc. but I think your incredibly strong disgust at a religious symbol is straying into the realms of obsessional and abnormal behaviour, for which you should probably seek help. :indiff:
    You honestly can't see the comparison between the Abrahamic religions and Nazism?

Do you realise how many millions have lost their lives to persecution by these religions? Hitler's death toll is vanishingly small in comparison to those tortured, enslaved and brutally murdered by the three great monotheisms.

This is why I recoil in disgust when I see modern people bowing and praying in front of the symbols of such an undoubtedly evil set of organisations. This is why I cringe when I see people calling their children 'Christians', or 'Muslims'. This is why I despise everything to do with these religions.

You propose that I need to seek help for feeling hatred of a set of organisations which are responsible for some of the most horrifying atrocities of the past 3~4 thousand years? I propose that the people who pay homage to these organisations, and believe that there exists an omnibenevolent man in the sky who approves of it are those who need their heads checked.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not at all stupid. :confused:

You think most beliefs from Judeo-Christian culture, ie. prohibitions on murder, theft, rights to own land and property, encouragement of reciprocally and mutually benevolent actions in the law etc. etc. are outdated in today's society? :rolleyes:

You obviously grasp the concept of "most" wrong... what you'll gladly accept, you refuse or ignore its source.
    For every verse you find in any Judeo-Christian text that prohibits murder, I can find 10 which encourage it, which allow it, which order it. The same goes for theft, rights to own land and property, and any of the other moral acts you believe you find in those scriptures.

If the Judeo-Christian texts were consistent in their moral principles, then perhaps I would have no reason to complain. But they're not. They contradict themselves at every turn, and there are very few moral statements in those pages that are not contradicted and over-turned by statements on other pages.

Anyway, people do not need judeo-christian teachings in order to realise the moral principles you've listed. I am an atheist, and had very little religion in my upbringing, and yet I have had no inclination for murder, theft, etc. Perhaps you're right that some judeo-christian statements are congruent to the attitudes to modern society in the west, but that's largely irrelevant, because most people who hold these attitudes hold them in spite of religion, and mostly in absence of it.

ReputationRep:
    I believe in education and support that would hopefully help those who feel pressured into wearing clothing like a burka or otherwise conforming to religious or cultural norms. Hopefully, with well rounded, secular education people will be more able to make their own minds up about issues such as wearing a veil/headscarf/burka, sex before marriage, alcohol consumption and other things that their culture or religion might ban.

It's not about indoctrination, it's about giving people a choice. The way to eradicate issues such as women being forced to wear certain clothes isn't to ban the clothing.

The only time I think these items should be banned is when their job requires a certain presentation or communication. For example, I don't think people who teach young children should wear a burka because I don't believe you can effectively communicate to young children if they can't see your facial expressions. I also don't think professions that require a strict uniform should be forced to significantly bend their rules in order to avoid discrimination.

So bagism is fine, but I'm yet to see a law suit because someone wasn't allowed to wear a bag by their employer.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.