Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    would 5 a-levels be a good idea to go imperial and do medicine? (excluding general studies)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alibaba-_-94)
    would 5 a-levels be a good idea to go imperial and do medicine? (excluding general studies)
    I'm moving this over to the designated Medicine forum as it ought to attract more replies there.

Imperial's offer for the course is AAA with an additional B grade in an AS Level. Could you achieve the grades with the pressure of studying five subjects? The answer may well be yes, and if you don't envisage having any problems meeting the offer (assuming they were to give you one) and are enjoying all of your studies, then by all means study five. On the other hand, doing so isn't by any means necessary and could well prove intrusive if you are looking to further extra-curricular activities, extra reading or work experience before applying and going up to university.

ReputationRep:
    Well you can do 10 A-levels and go there if you want. But they only want a minimum on 3 A-levels and 1 AS-level. And doing more than this will not increase your chances of getting in, due to there being other factors involved too. You will need to sit the BMAT exam in November of the year you apply. Getting past this stage is quite hard and if you fail to meet their cut-off point then doing your five a-levels just for Imperial would be a complete waste! But if you want to do five a-levels for your own satisfaction, carry on.

ReputationRep:
    Look at the admissions criteria on their website:

http://www1.imperial.ac.uk/medicine/.../requirements/

The minimum is "three A levels, including chemistry and/or biology and one science or mathematics subject" with "one additional subject at AS level" and "if either chemistry or biology is offered alone at A level, then the other is required at AS level"

ReputationRep:
    I might as well not repeat what the other had already said up there.

Erm.. basically when you apply to Imperial there's no guarantee you'll get a place to do medicine because competition is fierce and you'll have to do more than just get straight A's academically if you want to study medicine there.
    ICL also have a fantastic medicine department which is awesome if you make it onto the course.
    Good luck!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    how can we tell you? Do you not have preferences, enjoyments, strong subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formula 1)
    Well you can do 10 A-levels and go there if you want. But they only want a minimum on 3 A-levels and 1 AS-level. And doing more than this will not increase your chances of getting in, due to there being other factors involved too. You will need to sit the BMAT exam in November of the year you apply. Getting past this stage is quite hard and if you fail to meet their cut-off point then doing your five a-levels just for Imperial would be a complete waste! But if you want to do five a-levels for your own satisfaction, carry on.
    Some very sound advice right there. Couldn't have said it better myself.

ReputationRep:
    If I were an admissions tutor and I saw you'd taken two unnecessary A levels, I'd reject you for being a smarmy swot.

Besides, there are other factors involved too, it's not just about grades...

ReputationRep:
    no.

ReputationRep:
    if i were you i concentrate on nailing the BMAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    If I were an admissions tutor and I saw you'd taken two unnecessary A levels, I'd reject you for being a smarmy swot.

thats why ure not an admissions tutor. mr.debat0r

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    Some very sound advice right there. Couldn't have said it better myself.
    You really should put a warning in your sig before it triggers a fit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    You really should put a warning in your sig before it triggers a fit.
    I really should. But how can i be a doctor if i don't practice my epilepsy response manouvers

ReputationRep:
    5 A levels won't help you at all, be it for Imperial or Medical School X; all you need is 3 A levels (or more, if you want to carry them on - if you enjoy them), they will not think you're a better candidate because you have more A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    I really should. But how can i be a doctor if i don't practice my epilepsy response manouvers
    lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    You would be much MUCH better off spending the time you would of wasted on studying two extra A levels doing volunteering, work experience, studying more for the bmat etc.

If you take more than three a levels, it generally cuts down on time you have for other activities. Most of my friends studying medicine (3 at imperial) spent at least a few hours a week volunteering as well as some holding down jobs and pursuing extra cirricular activities.

Your application will look much more impressive among the countless other all A applicants if you actually have something to write about in your PS and talk about in interview! You wont get asked much about your academics, and if you cant show you have wide interests or have had lots of first hand experience of medicine then you've really just wasted your time. They want a doctor, not just an academic.

ReputationRep:

Have you considered that they may actually enjoy the subjects they are doing and want to gain more understanding of them?

Anyway, OP, do it if you want, but it won't help you get in. The BMAT plays a rather large role for Imperial AFAIK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Perish the thought they may actually enjoy the subjects they are doing and want to gain more understanding of them?
    Did you read the OP?

"would 5 a-levels be a good idea to go imperial and do medicine? (excluding general studies)"

Not "would 5 A levels be a good idea because I really enjoy learning and gaining new knowledge".

ReputationRep:
    Did you read the OP?

"would 5 a-levels be a good idea to go imperial and do medicine? (excluding general studies)"

Not "would 5 A levels be a good idea because I really enjoy learning and gaining new knowledge".
    True in this specific example, but your post made it sound as if you considered anyone doing 5 A Levels as a smarmy swot.

"If I were an admissions tutor and I saw you'd taken two unnecessary A levels, I'd reject you for being a smarmy swot." I highly doubt if you were an admissions tutor, you'd have read his TSR post. So, it sounded like you said "anyone applying to medschool with 5 A Levels is a smarmy swot".

Which is a bit unfair I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Have you considered that they may actually enjoy the subjects they are doing and want to gain more understanding of them?

Anyway, OP, do it if you want, but it won't help you get in. The BMAT plays a rather large role for Imperial AFAIK.
    if that's what they want, why would they elect to destroy said enthusiasm with an A level .

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.