Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I was watching some science stuff and it was talking about spheres. It got me thinking about is it possible to get an absolute perfect sphere? A sphere that is dimensionally perfect that it could withstand an infinite amount of pressure, like a black hole. An absolute perfect sphere would have no 'weak points' where pressure can be exerted onto and break the sphere... Maybe in the future we will be able to travel through black holes in an absolute spherical spacecraft?
    Can anyone explain this further?

ReputationRep:
    No. Spheres are a mathematical invention. (Like circles, squares and pretty much anything else you can think of).

We can model real life things as mathematical objects, but they are not the same thing.

We're thinking about this in too simplistic a way; spheres are good at withstanding pressure at some scale. When we get down to atomic levels we don't have anything close to a sphere, and forces as we think of them on a "sphere wide" level don't work.

ReputationRep:
    Would I be right in saying that even if you made a perfect sphere, at the atomic level it still wouldn't be perfect? Or is that not relevant here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakash)
    Would I be right in saying that even if you made a perfect sphere, at the atomic level it still wouldn't be perfect? Or is that not relevant here?
    It wouldn't be perfect though, would it? Here's a picture of the space buckminsterfullerne occupies ( http://www.3dchem.com/imagesofmolecules/c60a.jpg ) - even though the atoms are arranged "spherically", the actual atoms are spheres themselves, so the surface of the ball isn't perfect, it's all bumpy. Plus it has holes in the middle of each hexagon. This kind of effect would be present no matter how big the ball was (in this case its made of 60 carbon atoms, but you can build them much bigger).

ReputationRep:
    Not in real life no.

ReputationRep:
    BTW science fact:

If the earth was shrunk down to the size of a snooker ball

It'd be the most spherical ball ever.

That's how bad we are at making spheres.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=41243

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    BTW science fact:

If the earth was shrunk down to the size of a snooker ball

It'd be the most spherical ball ever.

That's how bad we are at making spheres.
    I lol'd.

What about if you didn't make the sphere from particles?

ReputationRep:
    What else do you suppose we make it out of?

Dark Matter?

ReputationRep:
    Some sort of ray?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zungie)
    I lol'd.

What about if you didn't make the sphere from particles?
    How would you make something that wasn't from atoms?...

Point is is that chemical bonds are straight, 1000 arranged in a circle might look like a perfect circle from a certain distance but closer to it'd look polyhedral.

ReputationRep:
    Some sort of ray?
    Light is massless sweetie x

and is a particle-wave

read more science.

ReputationRep:
    This is related to defining the kilogram, and they're getting more and more perfect all the time.

I think the closest was made out of silicone in australia..

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want your sphere to be an object in the normal sense, you could regard the field around a particle as a sphere; seems to me that'd be a darn sight closer than anything you could get made of matter, at least.

I have a feeling that quantum physics probably prohibits that from functioning as a sphere, though.

ReputationRep:

and is a particle-wave

read more science.
    I prefer not to be patronised.

And the question was whether it was possible to create a perfect sphere, nothing about it being a physical mass.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer not to be patronised.

And the question was whether it was possible to create a perfect sphere, nothing about it being a physical mass.
    I don't know how you would create it, stumped there

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and with regards to traveling through black holes, wouldn't a near-perfect sphere be apt enough anyway?

Just how would you propell such a thing without making it NOT a sphere? And you'd have to build whatever your sending through inside the sphere as to make it completely sealed.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and with regards to traveling through black holes, wouldn't a near-perfect sphere be apt enough anyway?
    We'll also have to decide what we mean by "through" a black hole. Unless we think it's some kind of wormhole, we'd not be able to get out the other 'side'

ReputationRep:

Just how would you propell such a thing without making it NOT a sphere? And you'd have to build whatever your sending through inside the sphere as to make it completely sealed.
    To an observer if someone did manage to get "into" a black hole it would (to the observer) take an infinte amount of time for that individual to reach the event horizon and so if you did "get through" (whatever we mean by this) then it would be quite unexpected what you would find so far as we have no idea how the Universe will change after such a time has passed.

and is a particle-wave

read more science.

If you are going to patronise someone at least use facts, light is not massless. And it sin't literally a particle-wave.

ReputationRep:
    If the most fundamental particle was plastercine-like, it'd be possible, unfortunately that probably isn't the case.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.