Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Source, please.
    Bipolar disorder most commonly presents in the late teens and early 20s http://www.healthyplace.com/bipolar-...qs/menu-id-67/

In adults, major depressive disorder affects twice as many women as men. For both genders it is most common in those who are 25-44 years of age
    http://www.allaboutdepression.com/dia_03.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey,
    For the last few days i've being feeling really down (depressed) i've being crying a little for no reason and i have the other signs of Bipolar in(depression) but i have not experienced the manic episode. Is it possible to have Bipolar without having to get the manic episode. Normally how long will you're experience of manic and depression episode last for before the change mood
    It could there are two types of bipolar one with mania and depression and one with hypomania and depression.
    There is also cyclothemia (excuse spelling) Which is a mild version of bipoLAR.
    wHAT makes you think its bipolar and not unipolar depression?

The change in mood is different for different people.

Some are untra rapid cycling :within days
    rapid cycling:within weeks
    normal : months

It is said that if the rapid cycling onesarent treated they turn to the slow cycling ones(more common).

(Original post by BillV3)
    Do you just not read the replies you don't like or something? I can see a ton telling you from a scientific stand point what you have is not Bi-Polar yet you just pay no heed to them, I tend to agree with the person you quoted in that you seem to want to have Bi-Polar, do you just want to be different, time of work or a bit of attention? Or am I missing something because you just seem to be desperate to have it.
    I'm lossing my mind over this during the morning time, it can't be depression because i only suffer the depression thing in the morning and for 3 or 4 hours. But later on a night time around 9ish i get really active i get really really energetic (last night) and could not speed for ages. I'm in college how do you think i'm able to cope with this depression feeling when i'm not able to cope with whats happening at college,

^i could not sleep for age. But today later on i become more talkative etc. I have projects and stuff to do, i can't do these things if i'm feeling this way!!.

ReputationRep:
    Bipolar disorder most commonly presents in the late teens and early 20s http://www.healthyplace.com/bipolar-...qs/menu-id-67/

In adults, major depressive disorder affects twice as many women as men. For both genders it is most common in those who are 25-44 years of age
    http://www.allaboutdepression.com/dia_03.html
    Statistics fail.

That does not show that at your age specifically (assuming ~19-20), bipolar is more likely to be diagnosed than depression. Especially when you're not even considering the base-rates of each condition (6.7% of the US pop (14.8 million) with depression compared to 2.6% (5.7 million) according to NIMH).

ReputationRep:
    I'm lossing my mind over this during the morning time, it can't be depression because i only suffer the depression thing in the morning and for 3 or 4 hours. But later on a night time around 9ish i get really active i get really really energetic (last night) and could not speed for ages. I'm in college how do you think i'm able to cope with this depression feeling when i'm not able to cope with whats happening at college,
    Why can't it be depression, there's nothing about how long a depressive episode has to last for or at what time it has to occur to be clinical depression THERE IS however a distinct definition as to Bi-Polar and what it comprises of and you don't fit into it I'm afraid.

And yes you should be able to cope I speak from experience here and I coped just fine.

Why can't it be depression, there's nothing about how long a depressive episode has to last for or at what time it has to occur to be clinical depression THERE IS however a distinct definition as to Bi-Polar and what it comprises of and you don't fit into it I'm afraid.

And yes you should be able to cope I speak from experience here and I coped just fine.
    so i have a higher chance of being depressed. if i stuffer from depression I'll be destroyed for life . is it possible to go to college if you are depressed and especially my age. I have no family history of depression

ReputationRep:
    ^i could not sleep for age. But today later on i become more talkative etc. I have projects and stuff to do, i can't do these things if i'm feeling this way!!.
    why dont you ask a doc it may be ultra rapid cycling.Or maybe just stress.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you're just more of a night person. If you're finding it hard to get to sleep at night, you're probably not getting much sleep before you have to get up. If you're sleep deprived when you wake up, it's hardly surprising that you feel rubbish in the morning.

I don't think it sounds anything like the descriptions of bipolar that I've read, but if you're that concerned, go see a doctor. There's not a lot we can do.

ReputationRep:
    Feeling worse in the morning is actually a common symptom of depression.

ReputationRep:
    so i have a higher chance of being depressed. if i stuffer from depression I'll be destroyed for life . is it possible to go to college if you are depressed and especially my age. I have no family history of depression
    Depression is a horrible thing, there are varying degrees but if you let it get to you you'll just get worse, I'm going to say what others have said, if you are really worried about it get yourself checked out properly, that way, if you do have a problem, you'll be given the right help.

Both my parents have depression alongside mental illnesses, one of them is bi-polar, I've grown up watching depression, if you let it take hold you'll only drop further. My parents have pretty bad cases. Because the help they needed wasn't available when they were younger they'll never be fully well, but in the last few years they've had great help just coming to terms with how to best deal with their demons and live life as best they can.

Honestly, if you continue feeling like this, get seen, get help and try to combat it as best you can. I hope thing start looking up for you.

ReputationRep:
    But you wouldn't be if you had bipolar? :wtf:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Wow. You're a bit dramatic aren't you?

If you are depressed (and not just having a really sad time) then your doctor can help and you can have an almost normal life once you get it under control. Many depressed people manage to go on with life.

If you're worried you need to see a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    Why will you be destroyed for life:confused: people will think I'm being insensitive for this but you seriously need to get a grip and yes college is possible I actually suffer from Bi-Polar myself and it hasn't stopped me, just go see your GP about it.

Why will you be destroyed for life:confused: people will think I'm being insensitive for this but you seriously need to get a grip and yes college is possible I actually suffer from Bi-Polar myself and it hasn't stopped me, just go see your GP about it.
    Is it still possible for someone that suffers from depression will ever be allowed and able to become a pharmacist ? (with this horrible problem).

ReputationRep:
    Is it still possible for someone that suffers from depression will ever be allowed and able to become a pharmacist ? (with this horrible problem).
    My parents can't work at all, in fact they often find it a struggle to get out of the house on really bad days but they have SEVERE CASES on top of other problems. Not meaning to sound rude or anything but really, this is obviously something that really bothers you, but you need to see someone who can tell you IF you are suffering from depression and where you are on the scale, as there are varying degrees. I'm not an expert on the policy of employers in pharmacies but unless you have a bad case which would interfere with the job I can't imagine that it would be a problem. Seriously, don't start worrying yourself about those things until you know what's going on with you.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    As long as it doesn't affect your work, yes.

Depression is a horrible thing, mine has been extremely severe at times, for prolonged periods, but it hasn't stopped me. You just need to keep fighting - some days it's harder than others, but it's the only thing you can do to get through.
    Don't let the thought of being depressed make you more depressed. You need to see a doctor, they're the only person that can provide the support/treatment/reassurance you need, nobody here is qualified for that.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    For the last few days i've being feeling really down (depressed) i've being crying a little for no reason and i have the other signs of Bipolar in(depression) but i have not experienced the manic episode. Is it possible to have Bipolar without having to get the manic episode. Normally how long will you're experience of manic and depression episode last for before the change mood
    To be diagnosed with bipolar you MUST have experianced some form of mania, hypomania or otherwise and it doesn't sound like you have. Your symptoms sound like depression. Either way both bipolar and depression have physical causes and can be treated with medication so its really worth going and seeing a doctor and getting some fluoxtine or something, although for me the fluoxetine triggered a manic episode but on the plus side at least i found out i was bipolar!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.