The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Newcastle or Lancaster? Convince me :)

I'm definitely accepting Newcastle and Lancaster's offers, I'm just not sure which should be my firm choice.

I come from a small town at the moment (which I hate) so I love that Newcastle is so central and has lots going on. Also, I'd have more part-time job opportunities open to me living in Newcastle than Lancaster, I would imagine. However, I prefer the flexibility of the course at Lancaster (where I'd get to do English Lang, Sociolinguistics and Marketing in my first year, whereas at Newcastle it is just straight English Language).

I've heard Lancaster are more willing to still accept you if you just miss out on your offer. For Newcastle I need BB, and for Lancaster I need AC - realistically I'm likely to get BC.

Help me, please! :biggrin: Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Have you visited both the universities? That would be the best thing to do if you haven't, as it will allow you to get a feel for them. Many people visit and it just "feels" right for them.

As per part time opportunities, they are available in Lancaster as long as you apply early enough and look in the right places. The campus bars recruit new Barmen every year, there are many opportunities to be a campus tour guide, as well as local supermarkets and restaurants to work at.

Though Lancaster is a really small city, it does have several small bars and clubs, the most popular being SugarHouse (Run by the Student Union), Cuba, Elements and Toast. Also it is in easy traveling distance of Manchester, Blackpool and Preston if you fancy bigger places.

Also, course flexibility is a big bonus too, if only just for a bit of variety!!! Plus if you find something you love, you can usually switch degrees!
And as for leniency, it depends on the department you are going for. Highly ranked departments like the Management School are highly competitive and will be less lenient, though I am not too sure about the English Department.

Hope this is somewhere near to answering your questions!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Yes, that's really helpful, thanks! :smile: I visited Newcastle about a month ago and really loved it, and will be going up to Lancaster in a few weeks time, hopefully!
Reply 3
This is really down to the kind of environment you want to be in, because Newcastle and Lancaster are totally different in almost every way. BTW I know this because I have family in Newcastle, so I visit there a lot, and I went to Lancaster Uni.
Newcastle is a city uni, the city is big and lively, loads of shops, pubs, clubs, concerts, theatres, cinemas on your doorstep 7 days a week. It's also quite "trendy", even a bit "Rah" in parts at the moment. Lancaster is a campus on a hill outside a comparatively small city. There is stuff to do, but the choice is restricted, and student life tends to revolve around on-campus events, bars and trips to the city or out to Morecambe, Preston or Blackpool. The atmosphere is totally different, and there is a bit of a "bubble" feel to it. It's friendly, cosy, comfortable.
When you visit Lancaster you will either think "I love this, it feels right" or "No way I could live here for 3 years." You should probably listen to that feeling. Course requirements and content are important, but what matters most is how happy you are in the place you have to live in for three long years.
I loved Lancaster, but I have to admit that it is not right for everyone.
Lizj
This is really down to the kind of environment you want to be in, because Newcastle and Lancaster are totally different in almost every way. BTW I know this because I have family in Newcastle, so I visit there a lot, and I went to Lancaster Uni.
Newcastle is a city uni, the city is big and lively, loads of shops, pubs, clubs, concerts, theatres, cinemas on your doorstep 7 days a week. It's also quite "trendy", even a bit "Rah" in parts at the moment. Lancaster is a campus on a hill outside a comparatively small city. There is stuff to do, but the choice is restricted, and student life tends to revolve around on-campus events, bars and trips to the city or out to Morecambe, Preston or Blackpool. The atmosphere is totally different, and there is a bit of a "bubble" feel to it. It's friendly, cosy, comfortable.
When you visit Lancaster you will either think "I love this, it feels right" or "No way I could live here for 3 years." You should probably listen to that feeling. Course requirements and content are important, but what matters most is how happy you are in the place you have to live in for three long years.
I loved Lancaster, but I have to admit that it is not right for everyone.

Come on, Morecambe is a sh*thole.
RabbitCFH

I have a soft spot for the place lol. I love going to walk along the beach. :smile:

BlueRoses
It's also easier to get to and from the rest of the country from Newcastle.

Just a quick note on this - Lancaster is really quite well connected to the rest of the country. Trains leave from Lancaster railway station going direct to Edinburgh, Glasgow, London, Manchester etc. The bus system is good - you can get to Manchester/Preston/Blackpool [anywhere in Lancashire really] for £5.90 on a Lancashire Dayrider ticket [and back again if you wish]. Plus, the motorway is close by ensuring it takes under an hour to get to Manchester by car. I have friends from all ends of the country and most have very little trouble getting between home and here. :smile:

aries16th
I'm definitely accepting Newcastle and Lancaster's offers, I'm just not sure which should be my firm choice.

I come from a small town at the moment (which I hate) so I love that Newcastle is so central and has lots going on. Also, I'd have more part-time job opportunities open to me living in Newcastle than Lancaster, I would imagine. However, I prefer the flexibility of the course at Lancaster (where I'd get to do English Lang, Sociolinguistics and Marketing in my first year, whereas at Newcastle it is just straight English Language).

I've heard Lancaster are more willing to still accept you if you just miss out on your offer. For Newcastle I need BB, and for Lancaster I need AC - realistically I'm likely to get BC.

Help me, please! Thanks in advance.

To be honest, no one can/should convince you where is best for you simply because everyone favours different things. :smile:

Lancaster is a small city - whilst I personally like it [most of the time], I know plenty who don't. Coming from Manchester, I appreciate the difference [although admittedly I do enjoy going back home lol just as much as I enjoy being here]. If you want something bigger then maybe Lancaster isn't for you. :smile:

Part time work is available if you get in there early. Campus shops - like Spar - take on a lot of staff at the start of the year and there is the LUSU job shop which lists vacancies most of the time [I checked it before and there are quite a few listed including restaurant staff, TV extras etc]. There are also a few enterprise initiatives run by university organisations (Create?) which can help you set up your own business should you wish to - good for both income and CV experience no doubt!

The degree is very flexible for most courses here. One of my friends came in doing European Business Management and has now completed changed direction to English Language and Sociolinguistics [with a minor in Politics]. She loves the course and it seems to be really interesting material. :smile: I took up Politics when I came here which was something I'd never considered studying and now I adore it. It is nice to have options and the chance to change after Part One most definitely. :smile:

With regards leniency, it depends. For the past few years they have been seen to be lenient with many courses but for this years intake they were apparently quite harsh - possibly due to the number of applicants or the number achieving the grades required. It will vary from department to department, year to year [depending on other applicants etc]. I'd rather focus on achieving the best you can in your A Levels - after all, you could well exceed your own expectations. :smile:

It is good that you are going to visit. Campus seems to really appeal to some and put others off so knowing which camp you fall into should help your decision. I am living on for all three years and enjoy the separation between university and town whilst I have friends who were desperate to escape the bubble after first year lol. Personally, I think campus is a unique place to be and the atmosphere is special - I have the rest of my life to live in a city [should I so wish]. Whereas, if you are already fed up of small town living, maybe a bigger city would be better suited to you. :smile:
affinity89
I have a soft spot for the place lol. I love going to walk along the beach. :smile:

Yeah, and that's all. Besides that, that town is real crap.
Reply 7
RabbitCFH

Lol, I never said I LIKED Morecambe, just that people go there, thinking mainly of the lovely Carleton, which some people loved to bits! Although I did get to loads of great comedy gigs at the Platform.
Reply 8
There was a dead body found on the Newcastle playing fields the other day.
Newcastle is generally very nice. Of course I would say that. But if you really don't like small or more rural environments, do not go to Lancaster. You'll get a better feel for the place once you visit but I think Newcastle would be better suited to you. Incidentally I chose Lancaster over Newcastle last year, but only because I live in Newcastle and wanted to move away from home.
Reply 10
Hi Aries16th,
I’m going to agree with the others here and suggest that you go to the open day and simply ‘wait and see.’ More often than not, it is whether you get a ‘feel for the place’ that will decide whether or not you want to go there. A long time before I went to the Lancaster Open Day, I had my heart set on Sheffield, but Lancaster just felt right for me at the time, and I’m sure it was the same for many other students.

Obviously, size wise, Lancaster and Newcastle are very different. Do bear in mind that if you do come here, you will be simply moving from one small town to another! Although Lancaster markets itself as a city (largely because it has a cathedral), it is in fact the same size as any other Lancashire mill town like Bury or Rochdale. I personally do not mind this, Lancaster may not have a lot, but more often than not, it provides for your immediate needs.

At home I live a 5 minute tram journey away from Manchester city centre, and sometimes when I’m away from home, I miss having an abundance of choice in terms of places to go for entertainment and places to eat; especially cinemas, because the Vue in Lancaster is poop!

On the upside, Lancaster is a lot less chavilicious than most places!

Morecambe reminds me of purgatory, not that I've ever been, to purgatory that is... At least they have those penny arcade machines... In Morecambe that is, although I suppose they'd be a good addition to purgatory too.

I'll stop now...
Quins RL
x

Whilst everyone is welcome to have their own opinion, I think you are being harsh and unduly so. Highest suicide rate? I think not. Rather that is a rumour that has been thrown around by people for years, people who have never visited and have no evidence to back it up. The university is respected, especially so in relation to management subjects for which people attend from all over the world, and the city has its charm if you are open to appreciating it.

Ultimately, Lancaster is not the right choice for everyone. No where is. Obviously, it isn't the right place for you but that doesn't mean to say it wouldn't be a good choice for the OP. :smile:
Reply 12
LANCASTER IS ****. Newcastle all the way. Lancaster=Highest university suicide rate in the country errrm.....I wonder why. Rubbish uni in a rubbish so called "city". Its near Morecambe which is another ******** and Blackpool wheyyyyyyyyyy. Just take one vist to any of these degenerate run down places and you will see what I mean!

Lancaster does not have the highest suicide rate, it’s just a rumour. Just as it’s also been rumoured that one of the Oxbridge unis might have the highest suicide rate due to academic pressure.

Anyhow, I’m not going to turn this thread into a ‘your uni has a higher suicide rate than my uni' argument. We're far too mature for that here. :top2:

*Pulls raspberry*
If you visit Lancaster, stay on the South side of the river! You dont want to accidentally find yourself in Morecambe's West End...

Lancaster has a castle. Therefore it wins everything by default. Plus I was born there and Im awesome.
Reply 14
loved the university and campus but after 2nd visit realised I couldnt live in Lancaster as it felt claustrophobic, interesting little place though not for me, Newcastle wins.
izzi58
loved the university and campus but after 2nd visit realised I couldnt live in Lancaster as it felt claustrophobic, interesting little place though not for me, Newcastle wins.

Typical Yorkie. Feeling claustrophobic in a city!
Reply 16
thelancastrian
Typical Yorkie. Feeling claustrophobic in a city!

ooohhh you're just trying to stir up the wars of the roses (only true tykes and whatever you're called in Lancashire know that they were never over, just pending)
anyway I'm from a big city in Yorkshire si thi.
izzi58
ooohhh you're just trying to stir up the wars of the roses (only true tykes and whatever you're called in Lancashire know that they were never over, just pending)
anyway I'm from a big city in Yorkshire si thi.

Yehyehhh me House of Lancaster Boyz comin at you for round 2 so what you gonna do?
Reply 18
thelancastrian
Yehyehhh me House of Lancaster Boyz comin at you for round 2 so what you gonna do?

if you come over the border you'll never survive the change to the crystal clear atmosphere:eek:
izzi58
if you come over the border you'll never survive the change to the crystal clear atmosphere:eek:

Sheepshagger. :woo:

Latest

Trending

Trending