Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When approaching a large roundabout with 5 exits and two lanes, if you wanted to take the third exit, straight ahead, which lane are you meant to position yourself in?

I'd go left lane unless it was marked otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    Its an either or, chances are there will be road markings telling you which way. General rule is anything left or straight ahead is left lane. I would use either depending on which que was shortest!

ReputationRep:
    As above. Left lane is probably slightly safer/easier, as you've zero chance of anyone being on your inside when you want to exit. But, I'd take whichever had fewer cars in the queue.

Left lane.

Left lane if exit is straight ahead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    Left lane if exit is straight ahead.
    In this situation the left lane would be the safest bet unless marked otherwise, but don't assume that this would always be the case.

There's a fairly small 3-way roundabout in a town near me that splits into two lanes on approach from one direction... the left lane is for coming off left, and the right lane is for going straight over (and they are marked as such).

You wouldn't believe the number of unobservant idiots who don't see the road markings, don't see that there are only 2 exits and try to go straight over from the left lane and nearly end up in your side, then proceed to act if you were in the wrong.

That's the danger of assuming a rule without exceptions.

ReputationRep:
    You should judge which lane to go in depending on where the exit is on the roundabout. Make the roundabout a circle and half it with each side directly to your left and right. If the exit is in the left semi circle take the left lane, if in the right, take the right.

Normally before big roundabouts like you're talking about, there will be a sign showing you where the exit is. And obviously is if marked otherwise, don't follow that rule.

(Original post by matt7)
    In this situation the left lane would be the safest bet unless marked otherwise, but don't assume that this would always be the case.

There's a fairly small 3-way roundabout in a town near me that splits into two lanes on approach from one direction... the left lane is for coming off left, and the right lane is for going straight over (and they are marked as such).

You wouldn't believe the number of unobservant idiots who don't see the road markings, don't see that there are only 2 exits and try to go straight over from the left lane and nearly end up in your side, then proceed to act if you were in the wrong.

That's the danger of assuming a rule without exceptions.
    Oh yea I was I was only stating for this situation, I go across many roandabouts and mini-roundabouts like the ones you have mentioned and I always use the right lane for them. My town is full of them and as I don't ever really ride on A roads, motorways or dual carridgeways (doing this on a 125cc scooter that is not all that powerful is bloody scary! Plus I am still really a learner until I can afford to take my full bike test or learn to drive) its all I use. I know how dangerous it is as thats where I've been most likely to come off most of the time.

ReputationRep:
    If you are unsure just stay in the left lane.

ReputationRep:
    Left lane unless marked otherwise, or if there are two lanes on the exit (like a dual carriageway) then you can take the right lane but make sure you come out in the right lane.

ReputationRep:
    Go very quick and it doesn't matter which lane you are in.

ReputationRep:
    Shortest queue tbh although I know its meant to be left..

ReputationRep:
    Left lane if its not marked to say otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    For a 5-exit round-about there will almost always be road-markings. Be sure to pay close attention to road-markings and signs. Its dead easy once you have a little bit of experience, but its something I found difficult as a learner because I was concentrating on my driving and hence missed road signs. Just do your best to be fully aware of everything around you.

If there were no markings to say otherwise, I'd go left lane.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.