Turn on thread page Beta

Would you go to a gig alone? watch

ReputationRep:
    There's a gig I really want to go to but all of my friends will have gone home from uni for a reading week (I have to stay for an internship) and I don't think my boyfriend would be able to make it unless he managed to get off work early. Anyway basically do you think I'll have a rubbish time if I go on my own? Or shall I just miss it and go next year? (It's NME shockwaves tour btw)

ReputationRep:
    Go! You'll regret it if you don't. Once you're there it's all about the music At the best gig I've ever been to, I lost all my friends halfway through the first song and didn't see them again until we met outside at the end :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 03gshep)
    Go! You'll regret it if you don't. Once you're there it's all about the music At the best gig I've ever been to, I lost all my friends halfway through the first song and didn't see them again until we met outside at the end :P
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Oh I've got tickets to the NME tour in Cardiff!
    Well, I went to see Frank Turner on my own because none of my friends knew who he was.
    It would have been a lot more fun to have had some friends there but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

ReputationRep:
    There's a couple of bands I wouldn't miss for the world.
    At gigs, I usually get separated from the crowd anyway, so yeah I would.
    Go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Go! Especially if you really want to!
    Let us TSRers know how it went!

ReputationRep:
    Go on your own, it will give you a chance and some motivation to meet new people.

The best gig I've been to, I lost my friend in the first song as well but met a lovely girl who i'm still in touch with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not-another-number)
    Oh I've got tickets to the NME tour in Cardiff!
    Woo! :o:

Ok thanks I'll go book my ticket!

ReputationRep:
    I would go if Phil Lynott somehow came back to life and Thin Lizzy were playing again, but otherwise probably not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Honey*Bear*)
    There's a gig I really want to go to but all of my friends will have gone home from uni for a reading week (I have to stay for an internship) and I don't think my boyfriend would be able to make it unless he managed to get off work early. Anyway basically do you think I'll have a rubbish time if I go on my own? Or shall I just miss it and go next year? (It's NME shockwaves tour btw)
    i'll go with you

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't because for me a big part of gigs is bouncing around the place getting drunk with your mates. Obviously seeing the band live is the main part but I think your experience of it would be decreased if you didn't have people to share it with.

ReputationRep:
    Dont go, rubbish bands are playing.

... Nah go, just try not to be too early or you'll be waiting outside on your own for a long time which can be a bit dodgy depending on which venue you're going to

ReputationRep:
    I went to see AC/DC on my own and thought it was great. You aren't there to hold hands with your friends or talk to them are you? I stay within walking distance of Hampden and it was a nice summer night when I had nothing planned, and my friends had only suggested going for a drive as something to pass the time. I decided to go for a cycle and headed over towards the stadium, noticing more and more fans wearing AC/DC t-shirts, jackets etc, and when I stopped to ask someone when they were on he offered me a ticket for half price. I used to be obsessed with them when I was about twelve but had mostly stopped listening by that point. I told him to take my number and I'd think about it, go home check if I had the money and get back to him. Ended up buying it from him, went home and asked if anyone else was up for it - they weren't - then going along and I had a great time. If anyone that I want to see is playing and nobody else will go with me, that's not enugh of a reason, for me at least, to miss out on seeing them.

ReputationRep:
    troll.

ReputationRep:
    You shall definitely not regret it, regardless of whether or not you go alone. There'll be crowds of people and once you get talking to random people, it's even better.

ReputationRep:
    Best gig I've been to was on my own.

ReputationRep:
    Going on my own to a gig this Saturday. Doesn't bother me, no one I know likes the act anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not-another-number)
    Well, I went to see Frank Turner on my own because none of my friends knew who he was.
    Ditto - went to his bristol gig on my own a year back. Enjoyed the music but the waiting for him to get on couldn't have been more awkward on my own.

Personally I don't enjoy gigs as much if I'm on my own so I say wait - but as I said I can only give you a personal opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I went to see Pearl Jam before with a mate who was not into it at all, totally killed the atmosphere......I've never regretted going on my own

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Honey*Bear*)
    Well i'd say go coz u really want to but it depends if your ok being alone when nearly everyone else is with someone - like i went to watch live snooker by myself yesterday and i don't regret it because i loved it (and i was on tv ) but i did feel like a bit of a loser at times and i wished a few times i had someone to share the experience with (and i was sitting next to this loved up couple which made it a bit worse) - but go you'll enjoy the gig and u'll regret it otherwise

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.