Turn on thread page Beta

Would you go to a gig alone? watch

ReputationRep:
    Going to a gig alone is just asking to be raped and stabbed in a dark alley

ReputationRep:
    definitely. most gigs I've been to I've got separated from my friends at the beginning and had an amazing time. in most standing crowds, unless you get barrier there's no chance of sticking with them anyway... so just go for it!

ReputationRep:
    yes, and have done.
    why do you need someone to hold your hand?

if you're that much of a pussy, try some liquid courage.

ReputationRep:
    I've booked a ticket now. I'm looking forward to it and I think once the music starts up I'll have a good time. I just hope I don't feel like a looser but I'll see anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to a gig before on my own, the only awkward bit I found was when I first got there and it was in between bands.
    But when the bands started playing it was fine and no different to any other gig

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't. It's not that I need someone to be my chaperone :P but more the fact I know I'd have a far better time enjoying the gig with friends. That plus the fact I'm pretty small, so would get absolutely crushed by the moshers..

ReputationRep:
    I can never understand why people are afraid of doing things alone, I think its a bit sad. Theres no way I would miss one of my favourite bands just because I've got no-one to go along with and hold my hand.

I like to get right to the front at gigs, so if I'm going alone I can start queueing as early as I want, without having someone else whinging about being cold or tired. Plus my friends don't really have the same taste in music as me, so I'd rather go alone than have to persuade someone to come who's not particularly bothered.

I guess I just don't care what a load of strangers think of me. If theres other people in the queue thinking I'm pathetic for going to a gig on my own then I really couldn't care less.

ReputationRep:
    Down some pints of Guinness and it wont matter that you're alone.

I had to see TV On the Radio alone, my lack of companions didn't stop it being the best gig I've ever been to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl Overboard)
    I can never understand why people are afraid of doing things alone, I think its a bit sad.

Pretty much this.

ReputationRep:
    I went to see the Dead Weather's free gig in Shoreditch on my own last Halloween. Easily the best gig I've ever been to. The trick is just to make new friends there!

ReputationRep:
    I went to see Metallica alone last year. Lot's of people do it and you usually end up chatting with someone else beforehand anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl Overboard)
    I can never understand why people are afraid of doing things alone, I think its a bit sad.

Yes, it's not like human beings vary wildly in personality or anything, every single is one is an oozing vessel of confidence like you.

The fact that some people would be intimidated of entering a crowded, loud, dark area full of drunk people by themselves is perfectly understandable.

ReputationRep:
    I saw Regina Spektor last month, she was wonderful and because it was all seated I didn't feel out of place or anything. Met some nice people in the queue outside too, go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Depending on if it was a band I really wanted to see. I tend to loose my friends at gigs but always manage to make new friends. Met some friends for life at gigs

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to see Reel Big Fish on Friday, would prefer not to, but I wouldn't decide against going just because no one else wants to go with me. The only problem is before and during bands which can be a bit awkward, but once the music actually starts its all good

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm the only 'I went alone' person so far that hasn't made new friends/met nice people from it. I bring a book though, I'm much happier just standing and reading in-between band changes than standing there wearing a slipping 'Hey, I'm approachable' expression and hoping that someone takes pity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)
    I think I'm the only 'I went alone' person so far that hasn't made new friends/met nice people from it. I bring a book though, I'm much happier just standing and reading in-between band changes than standing there wearing a slipping 'Hey, I'm approachable' expression and hoping that someone takes pity.
    I take a book with me as well Especially for train journeys. I often read although sometimes I end up having a random conversation with the people next to me. I haven't met any friends, but I have met some interesting people. *shrugs*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moroseblight)
    I take a book with me as well Especially for train journeys. I often read although sometimes I end up having a random conversation with the people next to me. I haven't met any friends, but I have met some interesting people. *shrugs*
    Oh good, that's nice to know! And I LOVE your signature

ReputationRep:
    You'll get talking to plenty of people in the queue and have a great time anyway
    I might be going glastonbury on my own :eek:....volunteering though

ReputationRep:
    I go to practically every single gig on my own simply because there's no way I'm going to miss these bands. The only bit I don't like is having to stand around at the start and in between sets because most other people are in groups and I can never go to a gig out of my hometown - braving London on my own at that time of night's probably not a great idea. But now I've found someone to go with! So Rebel Alliance in Camden here I come.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.