Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's talking about reps and stuff, but I never got the point. When I do chin-ups crunches, etc, i just go until i can't do anymore and then rest, then start again. What's the point in doing reps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cucumber sandwich)
    Everyone's talking about reps and stuff, but I never got the point. When I do chin-ups crunches, etc, i just go until i can't do anymore and then rest, then start again. What's the point in doing reps?
    Generally speaking, your last rep should (ideally) be the last you can do, without you needing help to complete it. But different rep ranges promote different things.

For example, doing sets of 5 reps will mean you are lifting closer to your one-rep-max than you would be if you were doing sets of 12 reps. In layman's terms, your muscles are capable of lifting more than your mind is able to tell it to, so while doing 5 reps may not fire enough muscle fibres to provoke maximum gain in size, it will shock you into an adaptation; rapidly increasing how efficiently you can use what you already have, meaning maximum strength gain.

Of course all exercise will promote both muscle and strength gain, but balancing reps and weight correctly allows you to prioritise.

Ultimately, you reap what you sow. If your exercises require endurance, that is what you will gain. If your exercises require strength, that is what you will gain. If you go to the extremes, one may be at the expense of the other.

ReputationRep:
    its to break down the muscle, which allows it to grow back, but stronger. I think

ReputationRep:
    How many TSR whores clicked on this just now thinking the thread would be about shiny gems? :sexface:

Spoiler:
    Show
    :sigh: I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    Generally speaking, your last rep should (ideally) be the last you can do, without you needing help to complete it. But different rep ranges promote different things.

For example, doing sets of 5 reps will mean you are lifting closer to your one-rep-max than you would be if you were doing sets of 12 reps. In layman's terms, your muscles are capable of lifting more than your mind is able to tell it to, so while doing 5 reps may not fire enough muscle fibres to provoke maximum gain in size, it will shock you into an adaptation; rapidly increasing how efficiently you can use what you already have, meaning maximum strength gain.

Of course all exercise will promote both muscle and strength gain, but balancing reps and weight correctly allows you to prioritise.

Ultimately, you reap what you sow. If your exercises require endurance, that is what you will gain. If your exercises require strength, that is what you will gain. If you go to the extremes, one may be at the expense of the other.
    This sums it up I think!

ReputationRep:
    Do you do any weighted sit ups? Or add weights when you do chin ups?

Say, if you can do more than 5 reps (depending on what your targets are), you should increase the resistance.

ReputationRep:
    Do as many reps as you can in each of your sets. Take a 30 second break between each set.

ReputationRep:

Because they serve different purposes.

doing your 20 RM / 10 RM / 5RM etc.. have different effects.

You can bench the bar for 100 reps, but it won't do owt.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.