Turn on thread page Beta

Taking Physics AS /A level - Long Road Sixth Form college. watch

ReputationRep:
    Im thinking of taking Physics at AS or A level - Long Road Sixth Form college. Has anyone heard or know anything about how good physics is at long road?

23% get A-C and 77% get D-U.
    Im not sure if i will take physics as it may ruin my university applicaiton, can anyone tell me what you guys do at AS/A Level and if you know anything about the long road physics course (as long road is popular apparently)?

I dont know if it is worth the risk- im interested in physics, but might take philosophy instead to stay safe academically for university. Is this a good decision? Apparently physics is really hard and im like an A preidcted for science but like a low B at GSCE physics.. :o:

Can anyone help me decide whether to choose physics or not, i might want to be a banker or something mathematical.

Im currently thinking of taking: Maths, economics, politics, philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    ive found it pretty tricky. You already have 4 subject how many do you want to do also you ay want to take into account that philosophy and politics aren't seen as valuble as maths/econ/physics

ReputationRep:
    No idea, but this is their website and most of the stuff sounds like what I'm doing - the OCR B Advancing Physics course.

I have to say, I don't really enjoy it since the textbook's useless, but as an A Level Physics is respected...and thankfully most of the exam questions are Maths-based where the values are given (i.e. "Show that the gravitational potential energy is _____ at point X").

Which Science GCSE(s) are you doing, and how old are you now? If you're only in Year 10, it's not too late to brush up on some Physics before you start the A Level. As for your other subjects, they seem pretty good. Philosophy's quite interesting (although as Thecadian says, perhaps not as relevant). :cool:

Anyway, don't let what I said put you off - I'm just not a science-y person. :dontknow: However, I'd still choose Physics over Chemistry or Biology any day! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppety_Kid)
    No idea, but this is their website and most of the stuff sounds like what I'm doing - the OCR B Advancing Physics course.

I have to say, I don't really enjoy it since the textbook's useless, but as an A Level Physics is respected...and thankfully most of the exam questions are Maths-based where the values are given (i.e. "Show that the gravitational potential energy is _____ at point X").

Which Science GCSE(s) are you doing, and how old are you now? If you're only in Year 10, it's not too late to brush up on some Physics before you start the A Level. As for your other subjects, they seem pretty good. Philosophy's quite interesting (although as Thecadian says, perhaps not as relevant). :cool:

Anyway, don't let what I said put you off - I'm just not a science-y person. :dontknow: However, I'd still choose Physics over Chemistry or Biology any day! :woo:
    What would you recommend me to do then?
    What do you do in class generally, can u give me any thorough explanations as it would SERIOUSLY help me decide on what to choose. How easy is it to fail and would a D or C get me into uni with it or..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RVS2009)
    What would you recommend me to do then?
    What do you do in class generally, can u give me any thorough explanations as it would SERIOUSLY help me decide on what to choose. How easy is it to fail and would a D or C get me into uni with it or..?
    Well...what we do in class probably isn't that helpful in deciding, since I tend to teach myself and then just go to lessons - recently, our lessons have focused more on the male love of space exploration (not quite as enjoyable, since I'm a girl. :sigh:).

But in terms of the content, this is (to the best of my knowledge) the only book endorsed by OCR, so it's the one you'll have to use for this course to know that everything's covered. I don't have one any more, since I borrowed it from college, but to give you a flavour, here's some stuff from the A2 one (I'll pick a page at random).

OK, page 94 - it's midway through an explanation (and I can't paste the diagrams), so I'll give you it verbatim:

summer sky and was blown away from their home town of Annonay in France.

The second major Montgolfier balloon flight took up a trio of animal passengers: a sheep, a duck, and a cockerel. On landing they were pronounced fit to eat - not the ideal reward for being the first aeronauts. The first humans to leave the Earth and live to tell the tale were the would-be balloonist François Pilatre de Rozier and François Laurent Marquis d'Arlandes.

... (I won't paste any more from this page to avoid copyright infringement and sending you to sleep! :sleep:)

Laws for gases (page 95)

A gas is the simplest form of ordinary matter. The first gas law was discovered by Robert Boyle in 1660. He was interested in what he called "the spring of the air", that is, how hard it pushes back when compressed.

There - the only useful thing from that is Boyle's Law (I couldn't be bothered to type the rest of the stuff up to the actual law!). It just shows how much waffle is in the book! I imagine that our lessons are only loosely based on the book, i.e. the content of each chapter, and our teacher is doing it from his own pre-prepared stuff and going into more depth where he thinks it's necessary. College also owns the CD, which has practice questions and answers as well as an A-Z of key terms (and a load of other useless stuff), so for homework, we've been doing those sheets. They tend to focus on number-crunching and the application of Physics to everyday scenarios. Here's a sample from this week's homework on the energy of particles.

Energy 40kJ mol^-1 is required to evaporate water molecules from the liquid. Convert this to joules per particle.
    A straightforward conversion - great! :top:

But then towards the end, you get:

Washing up
    Grease can just about be washed off dirty dinner plates using hot water. Greases often stick together by hydrogen bonds, with energy E (epsilon) of the order 20kJ mol^-1.

Estimate the ratio E/kT for doing the washing up, pulling apart a few hydrogen bonds to move a grease molecule.

Make of all this stuff what you will. I think that whilst Physics is respected, Maths is a "science", so not taking Physics (along with your other four subjects) probably won't disadvantage you. If you're going to do it, it's worth doing well, so I wouldn't bother unless you're willing to invest the time and effort required to boost your GCSE ability and then improve some more for AS. It can get pretty boring at times since we don't do many practicals, but the major advantage is that the OCR B course (as frustrating as it is) allows you to get a good mark through your Maths ability rather than your understanding of Science. We do do coursework - in the AS year, it was a practical investigation (20 marks?) and a presentation on the properties and uses of a material (10 marks), but that was over and done with pretty quickly.

It's up to you, really. If you find the subject interesting, it's probably easier to motivate yourself to do the extra work. If not, I think you'll be OK with your other four.

ReputationRep:
    I am going to fail my Physics exam tommorow!

ReputationRep:
    Well from personal experience physics is hard and you really have to put the work in to succeed (though its the same with any subject really accept a certain few- mentioning no names...) Although at As level its not that hard relative to A level.

from my year we started with 85 students doing As level and now we only have 18 doing it for A level, for most people it was their hardest subject so they gave it up.

It looks like you have 4 in mind already, you should go for them, otherwise you might regret changing your mind.

All the best!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 17, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.