Turn on thread page Beta

PC VS CONSOLE gaming watch

ReputationRep:
    Which do you prefer/

Me personally i prefer the console PS3, as you dont need to upgrade for the same HD graphics.

ReputationRep:
    if you play casually, play what you prefer

if you play to win, play pc

ReputationRep:
    I used to be a PC gamer. I had a PS3 and Xbox yet didn't use them THAT much.. then I switched for some reason, and now I play a tonne of games on both of my consoles and barely any on the PC except for EVE and some of the steam games. I just don't have money to upgrade to a decent spec for the newer games.

ReputationRep:
    I have always preferred PC, you can use it for more than just gaming and I much prefer the controls.

Plus, I recon that if you upgrade from PS2 to PS3 etc. It equals the cost of upgrading your PC. Well for me at least...

ReputationRep:
    I prefer the PS3.
    However, the best racing simulator I've ever played is on PC...rFactor - simply mindblowing. It makes PS3 simulation racing games seem like mediocre arcades.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm more a PC gamer. I love strategy and 'God' games, using a mouse.
    I've got a Master System and a Mega Drive that I love playing, and I'll have a go at the odd game of Tiger Woods on the 360 (and I'm a big fan of the Fable series), but PC games have always held me for longer.

ReputationRep:
    I use the Xbox for driving sims, the PC for just about everything else these days. Controllers feel clunky compared to mouse and keyboard, plus you don't get anywhere near as many ******** online on games like L4D

ReputationRep:
    console, many factors include superior graphics and processing power for your money, not subseptible from system crippling viruses - although reliabilty is an issue and industries bias towards console means greater development towards console games. But thats only my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Its not really a "versus" situation, the PC platform and consoles are two completely different things, so much so that many companies market cross platform games in two different ways, one set of PR for PC and one for consoles.

ReputationRep:
    Console when i was < 18
    PC from 18 onwards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biffyclyro27)
    Plus, I recon that if you upgrade from PS2 to PS3 etc. It equals the cost of upgrading your PC. Well for me at least...
    Yes. Upgrade sparingly and intelligently, settle for graphics settings at "medium" after a couple of years (where the equivalent console's will be at roughly that level by that point in the generation anyway), and either avoid or grit your teeth and get on with **** porting jobs and you don't need to spend much more at all. It will cost more overall, that's barely arguable, but given that games are cheaper for PC, mods can expand game lifespans indefinitely and give you far more than your value for money, online doesn't cost anything, patches are generally more frequent, controls are better for most genres, the biggest back catalogue of any platform and thriving indie scenes for any type of game you care to name... yeah, I think it's a reasonable trade-off.

ReputationRep:
    Just to make everyone aware, I'm keeping an eye on this thread. No biting, no gouging, no trolling, no flaming, no flamebaiting, no hitting below the belt. Warnings will be forthcoming for those that ignore these rules. Mmkay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Hatman)
    Yes. Upgrade sparingly and intelligently, settle for graphics settings at "medium" after a couple of years (where the equivalent console's will be at roughly that level by that point in the generation anyway), and either avoid or grit your teeth and get on with **** porting jobs and you don't need to spend much more at all. It will cost more overall, that's barely arguable, but given that games are cheaper for PC, mods can expand game lifespans indefinitely and give you far more than your value for money, online doesn't cost anything, patches are generally more frequent, controls are better for most genres, the biggest back catalogue of any platform and thriving indie scenes for any type of game you care to name... yeah, I think it's a reasonable trade-off.
    As above, my rig will last me a good few years and my last upgrade was last March, hoping it will see me through to at least 2012 really even if I have to put it on low graphic settings, by which time the next generation of consoles will probably be doing the rounds.

ReputationRep:
    Console is cheaper and gives better intial graphics. PC gives many more long term options, more overall uses and generally a better quality of games with much more customisability, and for people who have the money, it gives better graphics as well . Plus the mouse and keyboard system of control is superior is nearly every way to that of the console controllers.

ReputationRep:
    mmkay.

ReputationRep:
    For a long time I was a big pc gamer then the price of upgrades became unreal got a 360 on release and am lucky enough to never have had a failure. My pc is now sitting in bits in the corner and i have a laptop for all my work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Just to make everyone aware, I'm keeping an eye on this thread. No biting, no gouging, no trolling, no flaming, no flamebaiting, no hitting below the belt. Warnings will be forthcoming for those that ignore these rules. Mmkay?
    But I bet I could beat you at super smash brothers on the N64:awesome:

For the record Xbox-great for FPS
    Xbox-great for fighting games.
    PS2-great for football and racing.
    N64-wii-great for football and fighting (as in hand to hand combat).
    Computer-great for strategy.
    So it depends on the type of game usually for me.

ReputationRep:
    the only thing i miss about the PC is stratergy TOTAL WAR Games, unfortunatly just playing stratergy games dosent merit a whole new gaming pc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    But I bet I could beat you at super smash brothers on the N64:awesome:
    Oh I don't know... I was pretty mean with Fox, back in the day...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Oh I don't know... I was pretty mean with Fox, back in the day...
    He had nothing on Zelda or Pikachu!

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.