Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I haven't really done much PC gaming recently. Well I've been playing CS Source at work but that's about it.

I wouldn't really say I prefer either. Just depends on which the particular game is best suited to. Mouse and keyboard is clearly better for some games like RTS and FPS games. But FPS games can also work reasonably well on a controller (never tried to play an RTS on a console, so I can't comment). There's also whether you'd rather play while lounging about on a sofa or if you want to concentrate and be immersed using a screen that's right in front of you. But of course that depends on where you have your consoles set up. Right now all my consoles are sitting on my desk plugged into the same monitor as my PC, so it doesn't make a difference.

The new AvP is one game I'm in two minds about which version to get. One the one hand, using mouse and keyboard would be more immersive, and that's important for AvP in my experience. You've got to let it scare the **** out of you. On the other hand my PC is probably getting on a bit. The PS3 version could quite possibly give me better graphics than my PC. Plus with the PC there's a chance I might have to faff about trying to get it working properly. If only the PS3 version would support mouse and keyboard, then it would be the clear winner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    But I bet I could beat you at super smash brothers on the N64:awesome:

For the record PC-great for FPS
    Xbox-great for fighting games.
    PS2-great for football and racing.
    N64-wii-great for football and fighting (as in hand to hand combat).
    Computer-great for strategy.
    So it depends on the type of game usually for me.
    Fixed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillV3)
    Fixed
    Lag, Lag, Lag Lag LAG!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Lag, Lag, Lag Lag LAG!
    Decent internet connection - sorted.

ReputationRep:
    PS3 Easily!

PC only for Sims 3 :cool: and FM 2010!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillV3)
    Decent internet connection - sorted.
    HA!
    If that was the extent of the issues, that wouldn't be a problem.
    How about Ram usage .

ReputationRep:
    Pc as long as you keep up with updating it when it becomes necessary you shouldn't have any trouble playing the latest games

Also you can play a lot of pc games on gamepads or joysticks as well as the keyboard mouse setup and if you have the ROMs for them you can play a lot of the old console classics without having to dig out an ancient console which will be incompatible with new screens and probably won't work at all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm too cheap to pay for an updated PC. I'll stick with my PS3 for the latest releases.

Failing that, Sega MegaDrive ftw!

ReputationRep:
    PS3 for console gaming - slap in a game, HD, no prob.
    PC gaming is good, but the set up costs a fortune. Gaming rig will be about £800, which is stupid cash to play games that cost £10.

ReputationRep:
    It does not cost a fortune.

My PC cost £500 and DAO looks twice as good on that as it does on my friend's PS3.

ReputationRep:
    Some people can't be fussed with PC technicalities, so they go for consoles...

ReputationRep:
    I guess if your computer is good enough than probably PC. But mine isnt - I have an xbox 360 but i dont have live

ReputationRep:
    Console gaming is far less hassle so that wins with no deep thought for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    PS3 for console gaming - slap in a game, HD, no prob.
    PC gaming is good, but the set up costs a fortune. Gaming rig will be about £800, which is stupid cash to play games that cost £10.
    £500 actually:awesome:
    refurbished though but I still have the comfort of knowing even without updating I'll probs still be ahead of the min requirements for at least 2 years

and IMO the prices you pay for a console game are a complete rip off for the length of time some are out. Even for an old game like oblivion I could probs get for way cheaper for pc than the prices most shops I've seen charging for the xbox 360 version.
    I.e £22 new on amazon but that drops to £6 as soon as people want to sell it used through them.

ReputationRep:
    Console gaming is convenient and less hassle and more importantly cheaper.
    However, if you are serious gamer and like to experience the best graphics on the market then pc gaming is the way to go I personally like gaming console(buyin ps3 in summer) i had xbox 360 but it contracted e74 error after 1 year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nelo Angelo)
    £500 actually:awesome:
    refurbished though but I still have the comfort of knowing even without updating I'll probs still be ahead of the min requirements for at least 2 years

and IMO the prices you pay for a console game are a complete rip off for the length of time some are out. Even for an old game like oblivion I could probs get for way cheaper for pc than the prices most shops I've seen charging for the xbox 360 version.
    I.e £22 new on amazon but that drops to £6 as soon as people want to sell it used through them.
    That with a DX11 graphics card though? Plus I've found the irritating thing that most PCs, unless way over a grand, still can't play the good looking exclusives (STALKER, Crysis) on full.
    But yeah, the length and price of console games are a rip off compared to PC games, which can be as low as £4 brand new, and for a good title e.g. STALKER: Clear skies.

ReputationRep:
    PC for hardcore gamers.
    Steam mods and stuff....

But its becoming a real small market.
    I can see PC gaming and moding becoming a real "cult" gaming market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    Console gaming is convenient and less hassle and more importantly cheaper.
    However, if you are serious gamer and like to experience the best graphics on the market then pc gaming is the way to go I personally like gaming console(buyin ps3 in summer) i had xbox 360 but it contracted e74 error after 1 year.
    no, not really.

ReputationRep:
    I game exclusively on a console these days, i own a mac, i cant really play decent games on here haha.

Oh well.

When i was on a windows pc though i never used to game, my spec was never good enough to play anything i wanted, then i got the origenal xbox and ive only played console since, i prefer them to be honest. I

ReputationRep:
    PC all the way... yet 360 and ps3 and even the Wii lmao are good, but I only play my 360 for Fifa, and the PS3 for COD42. Counter Strike: Source, BF2, TF2 all amazing games on PC that I pwn nabs all night that wouldn't be 0.05% as good on a console. So if you have 1.5k get a nice PC and a 24" inch hd moniter and you will never think a console is worth play games especially FPS', (except Fifa, Mario kart.)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.