Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    not true i used to have a gaming computer, but just buying a ps3, with great online support, and HD graphics at a fraction of the cost, made it more convenient for me, the only thing i miss are total war games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    That with a DX11 graphics card though? Plus I've found the irritating thing that most PCs, unless way over a grand, still can't play the good looking exclusives (STALKER, Crysis) on full.
    But yeah, the length and price of console games are a rip off compared to PC games, which can be as low as £4 brand new, and for a good title e.g. STALKER: Clear skies.
    No but I didn't put mine together it came premade plus dx11 cards are still way too expensive too be a cost effective buy (especially with my budget). As for Crysis I know when they made it they claimed it had been made specifically so there wouldn't be a machine for under a grand capable of running it at full for 3-4 years.

Plus I'm not that bothered about graphics I tend not to mind about turning the settings down as long as theres still good gameplay

ReputationRep:
    I would say that console gaming is better - because of the price you have to pay to continually upgrade your pc to play the latest games. At least you know with console games that they're designed for the system you're playing them on.

Plus, one friend complains of hackers on COD 6, which you don't tend to get on ps3

ReputationRep:
    playstation 3 hands down but if i cant afford a game then you know WHAT THAT MEANS

You just can't compare PC gaming vs console gaming. Most of the things that console gamers say about the PC tend to be wrong anyway as it's very unlikely that they have migrated from the PC to consoles. I mean, who the hell does that anyway? Internet-based flash games do not count as PC gaming, nor is playing 'Madballs'.

ReputationRep:
    to all the people saying "it costs too much because you have to upgrade all the time" - I built my pc 2 years ago for £500 and it can still run any game out now. the only thing that i would consider upgrading in the near future (if any decent games actually come out for pc, since they all seem to be going to consoles now....) is my graphics card which would be ~£130 and that should last another 2 years or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    PS3 for console gaming - slap in a game, HD, no prob.
    PC gaming is good, but the set up costs a fortune. Gaming rig will be about £800, which is stupid cash to play games that cost £10.
    I paid £450 for mine, should last me a long time, for my needs at least.

ReputationRep:
    I play a mix of my PC and consoles, probably more PC since it much easier to play for long stretches.

ReputationRep:
    trick with pc gaming is to buy your hardware sensibly. My pc has cost me £200 and can play most games maxed. Granted Its all 2nd parts and i only have a 19" monitor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    HA!
    If that was the extent of the issues, that wouldn't be a problem.
    How about Ram usage .
    I've not had a problem, I can play all the games I own online without a hitch, the only time I've ever run into lag it's been because my lines been shoddy (damn you BT, lines been ferked for years). Also you say RAM usage you think consoles don't use RAM =/

ReputationRep:
    I prefer console gaming, purely because of the games. The only PC games I play are the Total War series and Lord of the Rings: Online. I occasionally play FFXI or Guild Wars, but very sparingly. For me, there is nothing better than playing Legend of Zelda or Final Fantasy and those games are far more fun when played on a console. I don't really give a **** about internet gaming or graphics, so none of the hardware arguments really apply to me.

I also fail to see how a mouse and keyboard set up can be more immersive than the wiimote or any other form on control. Pile of crap that argument is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillV3)
    I've not had a problem, I can play all the games I own online without a hitch, the only time I've ever run into lag it's been because my lines been shoddy (damn you BT, lines been ferked for years). Also you say RAM usage you think consoles don't use RAM =/
    I don't tend to have RAM problems with consoles. On the other hnd if I pla almost any game on most computers...
    ...that said XP with total annhilation was great.

ReputationRep:
    pc as there are no exclusivities and all games have a PC format...

console (PS3) as you don't have to bother with dodgy graphics, lag and updrading due to graphics/motherboard every couple of years

ReputationRep:
    Console gaming with my Xbox is much more fun and a whole lot less upgrading to do

ReputationRep:
    For RTS games then PC gaming, you can't use a controller to command armies and so on as easily...

For all other types of game then console gaming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normalothercitrusfruit)
    I would say that console gaming is better - because of the price you have to pay to continually upgrade your pc to play the latest games. At least you know with console games that they're designed for the system you're playing them on.

Plus, one friend complains of hackers on COD 6, which you don't tend to get on ps3
    What you've got to remember is that you have STILL bought a pc anyway. How much did you pay for what you're on now? Bet you could have bought something that blows the PS3 out of the water for the same price or a little more. THIS is what people forget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    For RTS games then PC gaming, you can't use a controller to command armies and so on as easily...

For all other types of game then console gaming.
    Erm, the FPS genre would like a serious word with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Double-Dee)
    Console gaming with my Xbox is much more fun and a whole lot less upgrading to do
    You'll be spending God knows how much for the next X-Box. At the same time, I'll be paying £100 for a new graphics card.

ReputationRep:
    Ps3 !!!

ReputationRep:
    And you guys keep on playing the piece of **** that is un-modded Oblivion. While I'll play the tolerable version of it. Woop!

(for example)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.