Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

PC VS CONSOLE gaming watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animaniac109)
    PC gaming is good when you have an upgraded computer, because most games run on minimum, but you need the best graphics cards for good gaming. Where as the console is all in one. No upgrading, it's already to put any game in and play.

So I would go with Console.
    No, you need a relatively poor graphics card for good gaming. Graphical progress has largely stalled since the latest generation of consoles has hit the mainstream, and any graphics card released since then at a mid-range pricepoint is capable of playing PC games on good settings. Only idiots with more money than sense buy top end hardware.

The difference between a desktop PC that most people already have and a PC whose performance exceeds that of consoles is < £200, and usually closer to half of that value.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    Um I would say Console Gaming simply because I am incredibly lazy in that regard, and can't be bothered upgrading my PC. I don't know how the costs balance out. Here's my summary of how they compare:

For Console Gaming/Against PC Gaming:
    • MULTIPLAYER! By far the biggest pro for console gaming is that you can actually play offline multiplayer on a console, which is brilliant for if friends come round.
    • No need to keep upgrading PC, which consumes time, effort and money
    • Assurance that the game will work with your device i.e. none of this minimum requirements crap
    • On the whole, controllers tend to feel more intuitive for such game genres as shooter and racing

For PC Gaming/Against Console Gaming
    • Avoids cost of buying new console when next-gen is released
    • Console gamers would still need to buy a PC of some kind, whereas PC gamers can buy just one good device which does everything
    • PC Games are slightly cheaper
    • PC has a much wider range of games available for it than consoles
    • On the whole, keyboard and mouse feels more intuitive for such game genres as strategy
    Great point regarding multiplayer gaming socially on consoles. Though PC gaming online/LAN with friends is still pretty good
    Conversely I'd argue: PC upgrades take about 15 minutes to install every (averaging) two years at a cost of £50/year.
    Also, MS has finally managed to introduce a standard game controller for all PC games, and therefore I now play almost all console ports on PC using the 360 controller (because they work much better than with a mouse/keyboard).

ReputationRep:
    Um I would say Console Gaming simply because I am incredibly lazy in that regard, and can't be bothered upgrading my PC. I don't know how the costs balance out. Here's my summary of how they compare:

For Console Gaming/Against PC Gaming:
    • MULTIPLAYER! By far the biggest pro for console gaming is that you can actually play offline multiplayer on a console, which is brilliant for if friends come round.
    • No need to keep upgrading PC, which consumes time, effort and money
    • Assurance that the game will work with your device i.e. none of this minimum requirements crap
    • On the whole, controllers tend to feel more intuitive for such game genres as shooter and racing

For PC Gaming/Against Console Gaming
    • Avoids cost of buying new console when next-gen is released
    • Console gamers would still need to buy a PC of some kind, whereas PC gamers can buy just one good device which does everything
    • PC Games are slightly cheaper
    • PC has a much wider range of games available for it than consoles
    • On the whole, keyboard and mouse feels more intuitive for such game genres as strategy
    I disagree with the comment about the contoller. I have COD4 for 360 and PC, and the feel of the PC mouse and Keyboard is so much more smoother and acurate and therefore the gameplay is so fast compared to on the xbox. Its fun for a mess around with mates, but if playing competitivly the PC online FPS gaming > console FPS gaming. Fifa could never be a true PC game. It feels awkward playing and even though i can connect 4 xbox controllers to my PC and have 09 on the PC, I didnt buy 2010 for the PC because its so much better on the 360.So there are pros and cons for both, but a nice watercooled i7 PC with 2 gb of gpu is a way way way way better gaming machine compared to a console....up to now. And it wil probably always be the case because consoles run off current gpu technology and as soon as the console is released, the next gen of gpus are already on the market for PC's sooo in terms of sheer power and graphical output, the PC supremly rules over any console..but consoles are more fun with mates when they are around.

ReputationRep:
    [*]MULTIPLAYER! By far the biggest pro for console gaming is that you can actually play offline multiplayer on a console, which is brilliant for if friends come round.[*]No need to keep upgrading PC, which consumes time, effort and money[*]Assurance that the game will work with your device i.e. none of this minimum requirements crap[*]On the whole, controllers tend to feel more intuitive for such game genres as shooter and racing[/LIST]
    - PC games are cheaper and keeping a mid-range PC going is cheaper than buying a new console every time the next instalment comes around. This negates your first point.
    - Second point is a fair point, but not a big issue. PC Gamers know what their PC is capable of and checking reqs isn't difficult. 5 minutes on the Internet will give you a good estimate how it will run on your machine.
    - Keyboard and mouse is far better for shooters. With a keyboard and mouse, you get pinpoint accuracy as well as much quicker turning speed.
    - If you don't like the keyboard and mouse, or if you're playing a racing game or arcade game or whatever, you can just plug a 360 pad in and voila, you have your pad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Singh)
    I disagree with the comment about the contoller. I have COD4 for 360 and PC, and the feel of the PC mouse and Keyboard is so much more smoother and acurate and therefore the gameplay is so fast compared to on the xbox. Its fun for a mess around with mates, but if playing competitivly the PC online FPS gaming > console FPS gaming. Fifa could never be a true PC game. It feels awkward playing and even though i can connect 4 xbox controllers to my PC and have 09 on the PC, I didnt buy 2010 for the PC because its so much better on the 360.So there are pros and cons for both, but a nice watercooled i7 PC with 2 gb of gpu is a way way way way better gaming machine compared to a console....up to now. And it wil probably always be the case because consoles run off current gpu technology and as soon as the console is released, the next gen of gpus are already on the market for PC's sooo in terms of sheer power and graphical output, the PC supremly rules over any console..but consoles are more fun with mates when they are around.
    Estel pointed out that the PC can also use the 360 controller so the PC wins hand-down in terms of controllers.

And yeah, the PC has the capacity for far better graphics than a console, but many PC gamers here have themselves pointed out that to achieve that would involve quite a high cost.

(Original post by Planto)
    - PC games are cheaper and keeping a mid-range PC going is cheaper than buying a new console every time the next instalment comes around. This negates your first point.
    - Second point is a fair point, but not a big issue. PC Gamers know what their PC is capable of and checking reqs isn't difficult. 5 minutes on the Internet will give you a good estimate how it will run on your machine.
    - Keyboard and mouse is far better for shooters. With a keyboard and mouse, you get pinpoint accuracy as well as much quicker turning speed.
    - If you don't like the keyboard and mouse, or if you're playing a racing game or arcade game or whatever, you can just plug a 360 pad in and voila, you have your pad.
    I really don't know how the costs compare to be honest. The cost of buying a next-gen console is essentially fixed though as they'll cost the same no matter what; while the cost of upgrading your PC would depend on how much you're willing to spend on upgrades as you can always cut back a little and accept lower quality.

The minimum requirements thing is a slight issue. It's not an issue for PC gamers obviously, but it does put off a lot of people from PC gaming. Checking minimum requirements is only a bit of an effort, but that's also coupled with all the time and effort involved in upgrades. Seriously people can be unbelievably lazy. A lot of people are attracted to console gaming because it's so much easier and a lot more straightforward than PC gaming, and in fact I would say that is the prevailing reason why console gaming is currently more successful than PC gaming. If PC gaming wants to gain an advantage, it needs to be made simpler.

Again, Estel pointed out to me that the PC can also use the 360 controller so the PC wins hand-down in terms of controllers.

ReputationRep:
    What does this have to do with multiplayer? :p:

Meh, I don't see why this should ever be used as an argument. I know plenty of people (freaks :ninja:) who prefer FPS on consoles with controllers than on PC. Perhaps it's arguable that the PC offers the choice of both; but this is an issue of personal preference, not an inherit quality of the platform.

ReputationRep:
    PC, hands down. i like using keyboard & mouse soooo much more than a 360 controller, plus the graphics are a fair bit better. yeah, my pc is a beast. :smug:

also slightly unrelated but BORDERLANDS IS SO ******* INCREDIBLE, best game i've played in aaaages. :lockstock: :lockstock: :lockstock:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    What does this have to do with multiplayer? :p:
    :ninja:

Silence.

ReputationRep:
    Estel pointed out that the PC can also use the 360 controller so the PC wins hand-down in terms of controllers.

And yeah, the PC has the capacity for far better graphics than a console, but many PC gamers here have themselves pointed out that to achieve that would involve quite a high cost.
    was just saying my point of view for fps' because Estel had said that a controler for the 360 for shooters is better than a keyboard/mouse...
    and i was just stating that if ou do want better graphics, they are there for PC's and yes I do agree for a much larger price. But if you use the computer for more than gaming (work/video editing/folding) and these tasks may require high cpu power and high ram capacity, then spend 300-600 quid on a really really nice gpu and the difference is much to be admired. I must say that if you do want a machine just for gaming, go for a console if short on money because to spend 800 quid on a reasonably good PC, is imo abit silly. BUT if you have a grand spare and you need a PC for other demanding tasks, take it into account and get a high end PC.

ReputationRep:
    was just saying my point of view for fps' because Estel had said that a controler for the 360 for shooters is better than a keyboard/mouse...
    and i was just stating that if ou do want better graphics, they are there for PC's and yes I do agree for a much larger price. But if you use the computer for more than gaming (work/video editing/folding) and these tasks may require high cpu power and high ram capacity, then spend 300-600 quid on a really really nice gpu and the difference is much to be admired. I must say that if you do want a machine just for gaming, go for a console if short on money because to spend 800 quid on a reasonably good PC, is imo abit silly. BUT if you have a grand spare and you need a PC for other demanding tasks, take it into account and get a high end PC.
    Well, there are other factors involved.

I reckon I'll stick with console gaming for uni, mainly because of the offline multiplayer. However, after uni, I'm gonna try and switch to PC gaming because I'll be to afford a really good PC which is good at other things besides just gaming as you pointed out, and more importantly because some people would find you lame for owning a console when you're an adult.

ReputationRep:
    Wait wut? I said no such thing. I falsely generalised "console ports", thinking at the time of titles such as Batman, PoP, Burnout etc. I did not intend to include COD or indeed any FPS in this list.

I'm not sure what your second paragraph is getting at. £500 gets you a highish end PC. But most people, whether they have "demanding tasks" or not, will still spend a lot more than £300 for a home computer because they'll be spending poorly.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't know how the costs compare to be honest. The cost of buying a next-gen console is essentially fixed though as they'll cost the same no matter what; while the cost of upgrading your PC would depend on how much you're willing to spend on upgrades as you can always cut back a little and accept lower quality.

The minimum requirements thing is a slight issue. It's not an issue for PC gamers obviously, but it does put off a lot of people from PC gaming. Checking minimum requirements is only a bit of an effort, but that's also coupled with all the time and effort involved in upgrades. Seriously people can be unbelievably lazy. A lot of people are attracted to console gaming because it's so much easier and a lot more straightforward than PC gaming, and in fact I would say that is the prevailing reason why console gaming is currently more successful than PC gaming. If PC gaming wants to gain an advantage, it needs to be made simpler.

Again, Estel pointed out to me that the PC can also use the 360 controller so the PC wins hand-down in terms of controllers.
    To be honest, I think the biggest thing console gaming has going for it is... well, when was the last time you sprawled on a couch/bed and played a PC game?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I think the biggest thing console gaming has going for it is... well, when was the last time you sprawled on a couch/bed and played a PC game?
    I have a bigish screen and the 360 controller has a looonng cable.
    But generally yeh, I agree ^^.

ReputationRep:
    Well, there are other factors involved.

I reckon I'll stick with console gaming for uni, mainly because of the offline multiplayer. However, after uni, I'm gonna try and switch to PC gaming because I'll be to afford a really good PC which is good at other things besides just gaming as you pointed out, and more importantly because some people would find you lame for owning a console when you're an adult.
    I wouldnt find it lame! My aim is to get every single console ever released by sony nintendo sega microsoft when I start earning and have a massive games room like on cribs LMAO

ReputationRep:
    Wow, in between all the focus on costs and specs we did completley overlook that key detail! I definitely agree. Desktop PCs can be quite uncomfortable to use- laptops of course nicer, but a gaming laptop is extortionately expensive, and you don't get the really large screen.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt find it lame! My aim is to get every single console ever released by sony nintendo sega microsoft when I start earning and have a massive games room like on cribs LMAO
    That sounds absolutely incredible, and I'd love to see that!

Sadly quite a lot of people would judge either of us for being adults who own a console so I respect you sticking to your guns despite that and good luck with that games room. Lol if I'm still on TSR 10 years from now you can send me pics of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Wait wut? I said no such thing. I falsely generalised "console ports", thinking at the time of titles such as Batman, PoP, Burnout etc. I did not intend to include COD or indeed any FPS in this list.

I'm not sure what your second paragraph is getting at. £500 gets you a highish end PC. But most people, whether they have "demanding tasks" or not, will still spend a lot more than £300 for a home computer because they'll be spending poorly.
    500 pound wont buy you a PC that can play games such as Crysis Warhead, Half Life 2, GTA IV and COD with all settings on full, in HD, with a 24" screen on full res and manage to get a smooth FPS rate ( atleast more than 35fps) And yes I did misinturpret your statement. You said console controllers are better for 'shooters' and by that you could mean any type of shooter, but in terms of FirstPS, high end :yep: PC's are the better choice

ReputationRep:
    That sounds absolutely incredible, and I'd love to see that!

Sadly quite a lot of people would judge either of us for being adults who own a console so I respect you sticking to your guns despite that and good luck with that games room. Lol if I'm still on TSR 10 years from now you can send me pics of it
    haha dont worry, if I can find you ill definately post the pics. Would be a nice way to unwind after a long day at work

........*walks in from work* hmmm i fancy some snes today....ah what is this...A SNES!! oooh how delightfull

ReputationRep:
    500 pound wont buy you a PC that can play games such as Crysis Warhead, Half Life 2, GTA IV and COD with all settings on full, in HD, with a 24" screen on full res and manage to get a smooth FPS rate ( atleast more than 35fps) And yes I did misinturpret your statement. You said console controllers are better for 'shooters' and by that you could mean any type of shooter, but in terms of FirstPS, high end :yep: PC's are the better choice
    Well, I'm pretty sure you can, actually. My current PC cost ~£540 over two years ago, and can play COD and HL2 at max with that at 1920x1200. Under the same budget, you'd today get a top line graphics card like the 4870 or 5850 which, yes, would play Crysis or even GTA maxed out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Well, I'm pretty sure you can, actually. My current PC cost ~£540 over two years ago, and can play COD and HL2 at max with that at 1920x1200. Under the same budget, you'd today get a top line graphics card like the 4870 or 5850 which, yes, would play Crysis or even GTA maxed out.
    thats pretty damn impressive then!
    you can play HL2 maxed out....what gpu you got?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.