Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I was just sent a questionnaire to complete; they want me to write about a historical topic and explain the principal historical problem raised by the topic and why it has intrigued me in no more than 500 words.

I'm just wondering how people interpreted the 'principal historical problem' bit? Is it the kind of problems a historian might encounter when tackling the topic (in terms of measuring/researching it) or is it more the core question of the topic (eg was the Cold War inevitable). Having real issues tackling this question so would massively appreciate any help.

Also did you explicitly state in the intro or something; 'the principle historical problem is...' or was it just kind of self-evident in your answer?

Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    I can send you an example of what I did last year if you like (I got in...so it can't have been too disastrous)

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine it's a problem of theory/interpretation etc that has been highlighted by history/historiography on that particular topic. But I have NO idea.

ReputationRep:
    I am also seriously struggling with this bit. I feel really stupid for not knowing what 'historical problem' really even means. Perhaps I am not cut out for UCL.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I did the questionnaire a while ago, and have received an offer. Looking back on it, I don't seem to have written anything special. My 'historical problem mainly focused on stalin, and the difficulty of accurately studying his era because of the lack of accurate records concerning the soviet union. I expanded a bit, and waffled as per usual, but it seemed good enough to get me an offer.

Hope that helped! Good luck!

University open days

1. UCL
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.