Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A ball A is thrown vertically downwards with speed 5ms^-1 from the top of a tower block 46m above the ground. At the same time as A is thrown downwards, another ball B is thrown vertically upwards from the ground with speed 18ms^-1. The balls collide.

Find the distance of the point where A and B collide from the point where A was thrown.

My working
    Ball A: u = 5, a = 9.8, s = ? (taking down +ve)
    Ball B: u = 18, a = -9.8, s = ? (taking down +ve)

Ball A: s = 5t + 4.9t^2
    Ball B: s = 18t - 4.9t^2
    5t + 4.9t^2 = 18t - 4.9t^2
    9.8t^2 - 13t = 0
    t(9.8t - 13) = 0
    t = 13/9.8 = 1.32653...

Substituting t into equation A...

S = 5(13/9.8) + 4.9(13/9.8)^2
    S = 15.25m

So it collides at 46m - 15.25m from the ground, since A was thrown off a tower 46m above ground. So the answer is 30.75m?

My book however says the answer is 30m to 2.s.f., so have I done it wrong and fluked? or does the book just have the wrong answer?

THANK YOU<3

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure the book is right. Your method is almost correct (equating two quadratics with t which are equal to s), but you missed something. You can't call both the distances 's', as they start 46 metres away from each other. Do you see what you should have done?

Spoiler:
    Show
    [taking downwards as positive, as you did] if you call the distance ball a goes 's', ball b goes 's-46'
    Spoiler:
    Show
    move the 46 to the LHS so they both equal the same thing, then find t, and consequently s.

Edit: Re-reading your method, I should add you should probably keep the accelerations the same direction, makes cancelling the t^2 easier, but don't believe it's essential.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcseeeman)
    Pretty sure the book is right. Your method is almost correct (equating two quadratics with t which are equal to s), but you missed something. You can't call both the distances 's', as they start 46 metres away from each other. Do you see what you should have done?

Spoiler:
    Show
    [taking downwards as positive, as you did] if you call the distance ball a goes 's', ball b goes 's-46'
    Spoiler:
    Show
    move the 46 to the LHS so they both equal the same thing, then find t, and consequently s.

Edit: Re-reading your method, I should add you should probably keep the accelerations the same direction, makes cancelling the t^2 easier, but don't believe it's essential.
    Using your way:
    -46 = 5t + 4.9t^2 (BALL A)
    0 = -18t + 4.9t^2 (BALL B)

therefore 5t + 4.9t^2 + 46 = 4.9t^2 - 18t
    46 = -13t
    t = 3.53846...

putting T into A:

s = 5(46/13) + 4.9(46/13)^2
    s = 79.04378... umm :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dumb maths student)
    Using your way:
    -46 = 5t + 4.9t^2 (BALL A)
    0 = -18t + 4.9t^2 (BALL B)

therefore 5t + 4.9t^2 + 46 = 4.9t^2 - 18t
    46 = -13t
    t = 3.53846...

putting T into A:

s = 5(46/13) + 4.9(46/13)^2
    s = 79.04378... umm :s
    Not exactly, you are mixing up the distances or something. I didn't check that thoroughly, but I think the minus 46 is on the wrong side. You also can't say one of them equals zero, it equals s. You just substitute it into the other one in place of s.
    As you have posted quite a bit of working, I'll show you what you should have done for t:
    Spoiler:
    Show

For A
    s = s, t = t, a = 9.8, u = 5
    s = 5t + 4.9t^2

For B
    s = (s-46) t = t, a = 9.8, u = -18
    s - 46 = -18 +4.9t^2 \rightarrow s = 46 -18t + 4.9t^2

As they both equal s...
    5t + 4.9t^2 = 46 -18t + 4.9t^2
    23t = 46

Can you see what to do now for the distance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcseeeman)
    Not exactly, you are mixing up the distances or something. I didn't check that thoroughly, but I think the minus 46 is on the wrong side. You also can't say one of them equals zero, it equals s. You just substitute it into the other one in place of s.
    As you have posted quite a bit of working, I'll show you what you should have done for t:
    Spoiler:
    Show

For A
    s = s, t = t, a = 9.8, u = 5
    s = 5t + 4.9t^2

For B
    s = (s-46) t = t, a = 9.8, u = -18
    s - 46 = -18 +4.9t^2 \rightarrow s = 46 -18t + 4.9t^2

As they both equal s...
    5t + 4.9t^2 = 46 -18t + 4.9t^2
    23t = 46

Can you see what to do now for the distance?
    ah i see!

thanks for the help i was sweating for like 30 minutes straight trying to do this haha

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dumb maths student)
    A ball A is thrown vertically downwards with speed 5ms^-1 from the top of a tower block 46m above the ground. At the same time as A is thrown downwards, another ball B is thrown vertically upwards from the ground with speed 18ms^-1. The balls collide.

Find the distance of the point where A and B collide from the point where A was thrown.

My working
    Ball A: u = 5, a = 9.8, s = ? (taking down +ve)
    Ball B: u = 18, a = -9.8, s = ? (taking down +ve)

Ball A: s = 5t + 4.9t^2
    Ball B: s = 18t - 4.9t^2
    5t + 4.9t^2 = 18t - 4.9t^2
    9.8t^2 - 13t = 0
    t(9.8t - 13) = 0
    t = 13/9.8 = 1.32653...

Substituting t into equation A...

S = 5(13/9.8) + 4.9(13/9.8)^2
    S = 15.25m

So it collides at 46m - 15.25m from the ground, since A was thrown off a tower 46m above ground. So the answer is 30.75m?

My book however says the answer is 30m to 2.s.f., so have I done it wrong and fluked? or does the book just have the wrong answer?

THANK YOU<3
    EDIT: Just realised that both values aren't s.

Ball A is 46 - S
    Ball B is S

EDIT2:

Other way around ^^

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.