The Student Room Group

eating lasagne two months after its been frozen rather than the recommended one month

hi, i bought a vegeatarian lasagne, in november, put it in the freezer and am planning on eating it today.
though the packagaing says to eat within a month of freezing, its coming to two months now, would be k to still eat, could i get a bad stomach? or should i just follow the guidelines? would would happen to the food after two months of freezing if anything?
thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As long as you put it in the freezer and not the ice compartment of the fridge, and you are sure it has not been previously defrosted there should be no problem.
I wouldn't take any risks, although if you did eat it there probably wouldn't be any problems, I don't see why you would want to, and I don't think anyone should recommend that you eat it after the recommended date.:smile:

its up to you, you should be fine, but why bother?
Reply 3
Freezing guidelines are even more iffy than best before dates, you'll be fine. We regualrly eat meat and ready meals that have been frozen for much longer than what's recommended, you'll be fine.

The main things are to make sure you don't re-freeze food and make sure it's fully defrosted and cooked through.
Reply 4
its vegetarian, itll be fine

though be prepared for an epic case of the brad pitts!!!
Reply 5
Nonbeatific

its up to you, you should be fine, but why bother?

yeh you're right in why bother, but it's like i paid for it and its nice, but i guess id rather have wasted £3 than suffer a bad stomach or something.
In the words of Weird Al... 'Just Eat It'
Reply 7
alex p

though be prepared for an epic case of the brad pitts!!!

the brad pitts sorry but im not sure what you mean by that, though im guessing its something not nice?
Reply 8
You'll be fine, don't worry.
Worst case scenario, you'll get a funny bowel movement.
bhavi
yeh you're right in why bother, but it's like i paid for it and its nice, but i guess id rather have wasted £3 than suffer a bad stomach or something.

£3.00!!!! that changes everything! :shock:
don't let it go to waste, test it on the dog! :p:
Reply 10
Preasure

The main things are to make sure you don't re-freeze food and make sure it's fully defrosted and cooked through.

cool, yeh i defrosted it yesterday and cooked it long enough, thank you all.
Reply 11
Nonbeatific
£3.00!!!! that changes everything! :shock:
don't let it go to waste, test it on the dog! :p:

i know, doesnt it just! lol
What about having a nice curry, I'm sure you'll enjoy it more :wink:
Woooahhh calm down guys. A WHOLE MONTH?
Im suprised you're still posting on here and not in hospital.
Reply 14
bhavi
hi, i bought a vegeatarian lasagne, in november, put it in the freezer and am planning on eating it today.
though the packagaing says to eat within a month of freezing, its coming to two months now, would be k to still eat, could i get a bad stomach? or should i just follow the guidelines? would would happen to the food after two months of freezing if anything?
thanks.

:nooo: did you say Lasagne after two months? Oh my god....I think I'm going to be sick now. :plz2: i'm going to puke at any moment :musicus:
im still eating curries and stuff from over a year ago, and theyre still fine. Best before dates and the like are all bull anywey, anything you get you can guarantee it will be fine to eat for a while after.
Reply 16
bhavi
the brad pitts sorry but im not sure what you mean by that, though im guessing its something not nice?

ryming slang - chronic diarrhoea is the term i can use on this forum :p:
Reply 17
I never ever pay attention to the use by dates on anything, to be honest - especially frozen things. I just go by the look and smell of something when I'm making a judgement on whether it's still edible or not. I know I've eaten things that have been in the freezer for several months in the past and never had a problem at all. Then again, I was the only person on my school trip to Nepal who didn't get some form of stomach upset (despite drinking the local water), so perhaps I just have a weird constitution.
We often eat stuff months after the date that has been frozen on the day of purchase... I've never been ill :tongue: Why waste it?
Reply 19
well i ate it, thanks for all the useful comments, and any more sarcastic comments to come....

Latest