x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LikeMussolinni)
    sooo...?

yes or no?
    NOOO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I think the answer is probably not. The only way it would make a difference is if a game has so much content (which for some reason can't be split up across multiple discs) they can't fit all the high res textures onto a DVD so have to start lowering the quality. I think that's pretty unlikely to happen. For an average length game it would be possible to get as high quality textures as the system can handle onto a DVD.

But if we talk about audio, that's a whole different ball game.

so games like uncharted 2 or mgs4 can be run on the 360 albeiT WITH MULTIPLE DISKS?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Digidevil4)
    Your friend says "ps3 has good graphics is because blu-ray"
    Thats not the reason things look better on it.

The specs of Ps3 are just better.

The Overall performance of Xbox360 is 1 Teraflop.
    The Overall performance of Ps3 is 2 Teraflops.
    Thats not how it work, there are so many different factors that saying either is more powerful is absurd. TC Bluray does nothing for games, 1. because Microsoft compression technology is great devs haven't felt like there restricted 2. bluray is too slow atm, ie its not fast enough to draw data from the disk hence many games need installs 3. devs would prefer more available gpu ram (on the 360) than more disk space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Thats not how it work, there are so many different factors that saying either is more powerful is absurd. TC Bluray does nothing for games, 1. because Microsoft compression technology is great devs haven't felt like there restricted 2. bluray is too slow atm, ie its not fast enough to draw data from the disk hence many games need installs 3. devs would prefer more available gpu ram (on the 360) than more disk space.
    factory xbox 360's will never be able to run mgs4 nor uncharted 2 even with multiple disks simple.

ReputationRep:
    It has the capacity for giving you better graphics but at the moment there's probably not much difference between PS3 games on Blu Ray and Xbox games on DVD, especially on multiformat games (where in many cases, the PS3 version looks slightly worse). However, assuming when the next generation of consoles comes out that they use Blu Ray, the difference will be easy to see as the extra processing power can work together with the high capacity of Blu Rays to produce visuals that wouldn't be possible using DVDs.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by samzurai)
    factory xbox 360's will never be able to run mgs4 nor uncharted 2 even with multiple disks simple.
    would those games be able to be ported to the 360, almost definetly, would it be worth it probably not. Pour enough money into making a comparable engine for both and i doubt many would argue that it couldnt be done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samzurai)
    Why's that? I'm hardly biased (I have a PS3 and dislike the Xbox!) but from what I've seen - there isn't a big difference between the 2. I'm sure those games are better graphical wise than the xbox - but its not really enough of a difference to matter to most people.

ReputationRep:
    Looks better with better TV

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LikeMussolinni)
    so games like uncharted 2 or mgs4 can be run on the 360 albeiT WITH MULTIPLE DISKS?
    Not necessarily, I'm just saying the fact that they are on blu-ray discs isn't the reason they have such good graphics. They might be doing something the 360 just doesn't have the power to do (which is very debatable). It's got nothing to do with the fact they are use blu ray discs.

ReputationRep:
    That was the intention but evidently this hasn't been the case.

ReputationRep:
    I believe not, its just bigger storage.

The interesting part is DVD has been around since the mid 90's(I seem to remember reading about them in 96!). Yet commericaly (in the UK) it was not until back end of 98/start of 99 when I saw them on the shop shelves. DVD sales really did not kick off until the back end of 2000. Now we have Blu-ray too short a gap and its still expensive which is why not many people have moved across!

PC publishers were still releasing games on cd in 2004. e.g. UT2004 came on 7-8 cd's or 1 DVD and Doom3 came on 3cd's or 1 DVD!
    I do not think any PC game has been relased on a Blu-ray disc as yet, so we may be a few years away publishers using a bigger storage format for PC games.

ReputationRep:
    would those games be able to be ported to the 360, almost definetly, would it be worth it probably not. Pour enough money into making a comparable engine for both and i doubt many would argue that it couldnt be done.
    lol sources for you read!

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/27/wh...k-on-xbox-360/

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6125...html?type=tech

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/2673.html

ReputationRep:
    Bluray allows for more storage, so high resolution textures. Bluray doesn't change the graphics, but 1 bluray allows for better graphics over 1 DVD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Why's that? I'm hardly biased (I have a PS3 and dislike the Xbox!) but from what I've seen - there isn't a big difference between the 2. I'm sure those games are better graphical wise than the xbox - but its not really enough of a difference to matter to most people.
    what i meant to say is they will never be able to be ported in it's natural form so
    kilzone 2 requires loads of power and so detail wil have to be undertoned in order to match 360 specs not that 360's wont be able to emulate it

its only natural that ps3 is more powerful due to its release date :yes:

ReputationRep:
    No they couldn't be ported to the 360, and wouldn't be.
    The Cell was originally intended to do everything, and programming for it is entirely different to the 360, with the PS3 also having more raw power. So even if someone managed to re-write the coding for x86 architecture, there still is the problem that the 360 probably couldn't handle the games.
    Also the cost - Multiple dvds means higher production costs which companies really don't like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    The Cell was originally intended to do everything, and programming for it is entirely different to the 360, with the PS3 also having more raw power. So even if someone managed to re-write the coding for x86 architecture, there still is the problem that the 360 probably couldn't handle the games.
    Also the cost - Multiple dvds means higher production costs which companies really don't like.
    Not really. A bluray disc is a lot more expensive than a DVD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    +1

ReputationRep:
    Not massively. Plus you have to recode a game to fit onto multiple discs as its not as simple as halving a game, and then more plastic for the boxes etc. ID commented on it over Rage that they are happy with a single bluray, but not multiple DVD.

ReputationRep:
    dvd's will cost more as blu-ray or the same price
    mgs4 = 50gb

dvd's dual layer= 6 dvd's and print cost and box costs go up

p.s (blu-ray's are manufactured by sony)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Digidevil4)
    Your friend says "ps3 has good graphics is because blu-ray"
    Thats not the reason things look better on it.

The specs of Ps3 are just better.

The Overall performance of Xbox360 is 1 Teraflop.
    The Overall performance of Ps3 is 2 Teraflops.
    Actually the GPU in the 360 is more powerful than the GPU in the PS3, though when you come to the CPU it's a role reversal.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 19, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.