Turn on thread page Beta

Does Blu-ray actually make games better graphics? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    No they couldn't be ported to the 360, and wouldn't be.
    The Cell was originally intended to do everything, and programming for it is entirely different to the 360, with the PS3 also having more raw power. So even if someone managed to re-write the coding for x86 architecture, there still is the problem that the 360 probably couldn't handle the games.
    Also the cost - Multiple dvds means higher production costs which companies really don't like.
    Xbox 360 is not x86, it's PowerPC. The PS3's PPU is also a PowerPC core. But there's a lot more to a CPU than what instruction set it uses. And these days porting between instruction sets isn't really much of an issue anyway. That generally doesn't involve much more than using a different compiler, unless you've done some assembly level tweaks.

ReputationRep:
    The thing with blu-ray is that it has got a huge ammount of disc size being able to store a lot of content. It has absolutely nothing to do with the grahics capability of the PS3, thats upto the GPU.

ReputationRep:
    blue ray is a format for watching films, like how dvd was a step up from VHS. The quality of the blue ray is a lot better, I now buy all highly graphic films in blue ray format, but only buy comedies/dramas/chickflicks with fewer good graphics if they're one sale.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Mazty)
    No they couldn't be ported to the 360, and wouldn't be.
    The Cell was originally intended to do everything, and programming for it is entirely different to the 360, with the PS3 also having more raw power. So even if someone managed to re-write the coding for x86 architecture, there still is the problem that the 360 probably couldn't handle the games.
    Also the cost - Multiple dvds means higher production costs which companies really don't like.
    Hence the need to devlop a new engine. Samzurai read this post too.

I'm not saying it will ever get ported because it obviously wouldnt, however hypothetically speaking it is possible. like i said pour enough money in and enough man power you could make an engine for U2 on the 360. ive already read stories that the 360 cant do what the ps3 can do for the past 5 years and have also come across far more stories one being from one of the main engineers of both the Cell and 360 CPU in which he said there differences arent great. There have also been countless devs who have said there isnt much different. However i dont think there equal overall, the cell if used right probably can produce better performance (not just graphical though).

But to get to my main point, U2 could ported so all that stuff about the cell being different means nothing since thats exactly what porting a game means. If the game woudl the look the same, dont know, however devs have many tricks when producing games with limited power on consoles. i am about to go out so if i remember tomos ill post some links backing up what ive said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Not massively. Plus you have to recode a game to fit onto multiple discs as its not as simple as halving a game, and then more plastic for the boxes etc. ID commented on it over Rage that they are happy with a single bluray, but not multiple DVD.
    Oh right, I guess bluray has been out for quite a while now - I know it used to be a lot more expensive to buy bluray discs.

Samzuri - most PS3 games are on 25GB discs, wasn't MGS4 only on a 50GB disc because they put lots of foreign language audio options and cutscenes on it? Thats just what I've read - I never bought it.

ReputationRep:
    Blu-ray doesnt "make games better graphics" it is a storage medium. That being said the fact that you can store more on the disc would allow developers to use higer res textures etc. to make a game have better graphics. The reason you saw no difference between the graphics of the two versions of NFS you played is because they are the same game across PC, 360 and PS3 (same goes with games like fifa, GTA IV etc.)

To see the benefits of "blu-ray" & more storage capacity you would have to look at ps3 exclusives such as rachet and clank, metal gear solid and uncharted - which arguuably looked better than anything else out there at their times of release

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LikeMussolinni)
    sooo...?

yes or no?
    no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Xbox 360 is not x86, it's PowerPC. The PS3's PPU is also a PowerPC core. But there's a lot more to a CPU than what instruction set it uses. And these days porting between instruction sets isn't really much of an issue anyway. That generally doesn't involve much more than using a different compiler, unless you've done some assembly level tweaks.
    Huh, learn something every day :p:
    In that case it's just the SPUs of the Cell that cause the porting issue.
    The Cell can render decent graphics unlike the CPU of the 360. Porting between isn't that much of an issue, but the PS3 ends up with most of the SPU's not being used, wasting a lot of graphical and computational power. For exampe Uncharted 1 was ran mainly on the PPE, whereas the second used most of the SPUs for effects such as Field of Depth etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizfairy)
    blue ray is a format for watching films, like how dvd was a step up from VHS. The quality of the blue ray is a lot better, I now buy all highly graphic films in blue ray format, but only buy comedies/dramas/chickflicks with fewer good graphics if they're one sale.
    This is about games though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Oh right, I guess bluray has been out for quite a while now - I know it used to be a lot more expensive to buy bluray discs.

Samzuri - most PS3 games are on 25GB discs, wasn't MGS4 only on a 50GB disc because they put lots of foreign language audio options and cutscenes on it? Thats just what I've read - I never bought it.
    true it's definately possible i mean playstation 2 games can be ported on a psp! so a port on 360 is a no brainer, but your bound to run into differences and shortcomings.

the copy of mgs4 has a few language options but i remember hideo saying that the aspects of the games such as polygons and cut scenes and sound are fully uncompressed giving it a pure uncompressed form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    This is about games though.
    yeah but it's about 'blue-ray games', things that don't exist so I was clarifying what a blue ray is.

ReputationRep:
    why is are we squabbling over 360 vs ps3 guys both are awesome 'hardcore consoles' with great graphics, and both have their pros and cons, its up to the player opinion to decide which 'pro' is stronger than the other

i'm gona admit it i wish i have played the gears of war series and halo series

what makes me angry is why is that nintendo WII been doing so well! Thats the main issue! the for me qutie frankly there are no pro's to that "console" or a better word "toy"
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by samzurai)
    true it's definately possible i mean playstation 2 games can be ported on a psp! so a port on 360 is a no brainer, but your bound to run into differences and shortcomings.

the copy of mgs4 has a few language options but i remember hideo saying that the aspects of the games such as polygons and cut scenes and sound are fully uncompressed giving it a pure uncompressed form
    uncompressed media has no benefits when the read speed is so slow and the uncompression techniques available are more than adequate.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but it's about 'blue-ray games', things that don't exist so I was clarifying what a blue ray is.
    Blu-ray is the type of disc used for storage, as has already been pointed out several times. The reason Blu-ray movies are higher quality than movies on DVD is because they have more space, meaning the movie does not have to be compressed as much, meaning less loss of quality. The same applies to whatever you put on the disc, movies, games or just any old files.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by samzurai)
    why is are we squabbling over 360 vs ps3 guys both are awesome 'hardcore consoles' with great graphics, and both have their pros and cons, its up to the player opinion to decide which 'pro' is stronger than the other

i'm gona admit it i wish i have played the gears of war series and halo series

what makes me angry is why is that nintendo WII been doing so well! Thats the main issue! the for me qutie frankly there are no pro's to that "console" or a better word "toy"
    Lol im going to get a PS3 when it hits around 200 pounds purely because i want to play MGS4 :yep:

ReputationRep:

I remember laughing my ass off when this came on.

ReputationRep:
    actually, we just got a 50" in the sales, and the blu-rays look absolutly amazing compared to the old tv when played off the ps3....so, I would say it does, but only at larger sizes
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    actually, we just got a 50" in the sales, and the blu-rays look absolutly amazing compared to the old tv when played off the ps3....so, I would say it does, but only at larger sizes
    Has nothing to do with the blu-ray my guess is your new TV is better quality than your old one, i bet you even standard tv looks better so maybe they upgrade the data rate on standard def :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    PS3 games are on blu-ray discs so they do exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Lol im going to get a PS3 when it hits around 200 pounds purely because i want to play MGS4 :yep:
    lol i remember splashing out on a ps3 when it was worth £400 crazy! but i was really hooked on HD 1080p when i saw it in the sony centre it blew me away! and to think they make a loss for each console!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.