Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I am currently studying at a sixth form college in Brighton, however
    I am finding this so difficult.
    Things all started when I arrived, French was HARD. I was fortunate to change this to Media Studies, however I was given 5 days to catch up on ALOT of work. It got on top of me, and I have been soooo lonely at bhasvic, everyone knows everyone and I feel so alone. It began to depress me, every morning I would travel up by myself, spend the day alone pretty much and returning home alone. It's so horrible.
    I began to fail in other subjects, which made me further depressed and its like a spiral.
    Ok so now the work load is easier, however, I am only doing 3 a levels, and I was wondering has anyone had any simular situations or if it is still possible to attend college if I turn things around?
    If need be I would also change colleges ha.
    I need help so bad.

ReputationRep:
    are you falling behind in work because of the work load or because its hard?

ReputationRep:
    Ah dear, sometimes the transition can be tricky. Well done though, it goes up from here. I recommend sticking to three subjects this year, and then doing an extra As (on top of your A2's) next year, when you're able to cope with the pressure abit more. However, if 3 A2's and the As is too much then don't worry, you still have a fair chance of getting into university if you do well.

Do you catch a bus/train? Just, these long journeys sound like an excellent opportunity to get work/studying done? And if you have an ipod/whatever, a little music would probably help things too (both concentration and helping you to relax abit more).

Have you moved to a new school? You seem to be suggesting you have in your post. Sometimes it can be hard to make friends at first, but if you're patient (and incredibly brave!) you'll likely click with someone in no time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thingeh)
    Ah dear, sometimes the transition can be tricky. Well done though, it goes up from here. I recommend sticking to three subjects this year, and then doing an extra As (on top of your A2's) next year, when you're able to cope with the pressure abit more. However, if 3 A2's and the As is too much then don't worry, you still have a fair chance of getting into university if you do well.

Do you catch a bus/train? Just, these long journeys sound like an excellent opportunity to get work/studying done? And if you have an ipod/whatever, a little music would probably help things too (both concentration and helping you to relax abit more).

Have you moved to a new school? You seem to be suggesting you have in your post. Sometimes it can be hard to make friends at first, but if you're patient (and incredibly brave!) you'll likely click with someone in no time.
    Yeah, I was thinking that, I have just been so lonely like everyone has been in groups and I feel like an outsider, they are all from Brighton whereas I am from Worthing and refused to attend our sixth form because it was just nasty haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CiaraKiwi)
    Yeah, I was thinking that, I have just been so lonely like everyone has been in groups and I feel like an outsider, they are all from Brighton whereas I am from Worthing and refused to attend our sixth form because it was just nasty haha.
    Oh I see! Yes, sometimes it takes awhile to "break" the group barriers.

Personally, I've always been a loner. Most of my talking is done via the interwebs.

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming you just started in lower sixth in september?

Just give it time. Seriously, not everyone makes friends that easily, especially when everyone else knows each other already. Don't worry about making friends, I'm sure there are some people who you talk to regurlarly in class and such, try and suggest hanging out at lunch or something. The best way is to start a conversation at the end of class and then carry on walking together out the door chatting.

Workload gets better too. Autumn term is always the worst because there's so much coursework. Don't worry about AS, I mean it. You can retake, I felt completely out of my depth and like I was always catching up and had something to feel guilty about academically last year. I don't know, there's a confidence that comes just from it not being your first year any more.

ReputationRep:
    One thing I found really good was to get to class a few minutes early and chat to people before the lesson. This works well for first lesson of the day, not always realistic for the others! I found that people seemed to sit in the same seats all the time, so getting there early gives you a chance to talk to a few other people as well.

Or someone above said: start a conversation in class and then carry on as you walk out or go to break, etc. If there are a few people you get on well with you could suggest doing something socially to get to know them better.

But it does take time. Sometimes friendship groups change throughout the year so the groups that seem fairly 'stuck' at the moment might not always be, especially in the second year if people drop courses, etc.

Keep going, just keep being friendly to everyone and make the most of opportunities to get to know people.

ReputationRep:
    heyy, im a bhasvic a2 i know what you mean about everyone knowing each other, when i went there form kings manor i was like ooh **** there are massive groups of people! and they didnt seem like they wanted any new members lol, but luckily for me some friends of mine came too, and our group has gradually got bigger. i know it sounds obvious but you really have to make an effort to talk to people in class, although there isnt a lot of opportunities.

and i had a hard time with the work too! and i ended up not attending alot and teaching myself at home and i got in a lot of trouble for that lo, but i got good grades in the end, but the thing is if you do that you wont make friends so you just need to go with it every day, and its only for 2 years, you just have to look forward. i get your problem tho, my friends and i are completely fed up with college but you'll grow up, which i dont think you do if u stay at your own school sixth form.

if you have any questions about bhasvic let me know

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.