Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would say look into doing some form of apprenticeship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    Hey TSR, what's the easiest degree to do at a top 20 uni (by easiest I mean the least amount of work to get a 2:1). I'm not going to university for love of the subject, and I'm not academic at all. Sadly one has to go to university to get a good job (so many people go employers think you're stupid otherwise). I'm probably going to go into management or finance or law, so something like civil engineering would be pretty useless. The only strict sciences I'd consider doing are Maths and Physics. I can't do a language. Otherwise I can do pretty much anything. I'm lazy as hell, so a large volume (relatively) of work isn't going to get me anywhere. I'm pretty clever, I don't mind a 'hard' subject, but I don't want a heavy subject that'll interfere with everything else I plan to be doing at uni.

Also preferably not a course that will have many of the following on: animal rights activists, labour supporters, vegans, metrosexual homosexuals and feminists (if of course these people gravitate to a particular type of course).

Thanks
    P.
    :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sciences)
    I would say look into doing some form of apprenticeship.
    Since when was that a degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    Medicine.
    Or law.

I hear PPE at Oxford is a doss, too.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly one has to go to university to get a good job (so many people go employers think you're stupid otherwise).
    You really, really don't (and I also doubt employers will think you're stupid just because you don't have a degree - although, in certain areas, a degree is a pre-requisie or preferred).

Why would civil engineering be useless if you want to go into finance? Engineering is quite mathematical and analytical, perfect qualities for finance. It's still possible to take the CPE is you're from a science/engineering background. Not that I'd say any engineering course has a light workload!

But I think (I hope) you post is just a joke anyway....)

ReputationRep:
    English. I'm hardly ever in uni timetable wise, and even less actually in uni, motivation wise. However English is one of the subjects that transfers well into a lot of careers and is generally quite respected, especially from a top 20 uni.

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of which degree, if any, you end up doing (and have fun getting into a top 20 university with no interest in... well, anything, judging by your post), do you really think you'll get a job in law with that attitude? Good luck with that :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    History, everyone says for the first two years you don't have to read a book.

ReputationRep:
    I lol'd at how you think you might want to go into the Law with an attitude like that. Face reality, if you want to do something like that then you need to work like maniac. If not, just do something more productive during the next 3 years rather than being a waste of space and money.

ReputationRep:
    Hey TSR, what's the easiest degree to do at a top 20 uni (by easiest I mean the least amount of work to get a 2:1). I'm not going to university for love of the subject, and I'm not academic at all. Sadly one has to go to university to get a good job (so many people go employers think you're stupid otherwise). I'm probably going to go into management or finance or law, so something like civil engineering would be pretty useless. The only strict sciences I'd consider doing are Maths and Physics. I can't do a language. Otherwise I can do pretty much anything. I'm lazy as hell, so a large volume (relatively) of work isn't going to get me anywhere. I'm pretty clever, I don't mind a 'hard' subject, but I don't want a heavy subject that'll interfere with everything else I plan to be doing at uni.

Also preferably not a course that will have many of the following on: animal rights activists, labour supporters, vegans, metrosexual homosexuals and feminists (if of course these people gravitate to a particular type of course).

Thanks
    P.
    I don't think you should actually hope for a 2:1.

However, like people said, oxford medicine is definately the course for you.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    P.

Economics ! Just stay away from Macro/Development stuff and do Econometrics/ Mathematical Economics (assumng you are smart, asyou have mentioned). An easy ride!

ReputationRep:
    It saddens me to see higher education abused like this.

ReputationRep:
    Very good original post..

I would say maths is a very good bet. It definitely requires less 'spadework' than other sciences, and occasionally there are courses you can attempt with almost no bookwork (eg. Graph Theory, Number Theory).

It's unlikely many homosexuals will be doing maths as well (link between high levels of testosterone and mathematical ability), unless they're female.

Another subject that might be good is Philosophy. It's well respected by employers, you don't have many lectures, the amount of 'bookwork' necessary is small (except in more formal parts of the subject, like logic) and you might actually find some part of it interesting (because it's, in my opinion, one of the more diverse subjects)..

ReputationRep:
    Medicine

NOT!

ReputationRep:
    Maths would be the lowest work-load I would think and if you're good at it you could get through it quickly, but you really need to think of what you're good at and you'll find which is easiest. For example if you're not that good at maths you will flop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    If you don't want to go, don't waste the space.
    The alternative's getting stoned every morning watching scrubs claiming jobseekers. I'd prefer to waste the space for three years then get a nice job, than spend the next three years turning into a habitual drug user. Going to university to get a good job is a perfectly acceptable reason to go lol.

(Original post by CassCassCassie)
    Not to mention how difficult it is to get into a top twenty uni in the first place, even if you are genuinely passionate about the subject.
    Not very.

Do you know how tough it is to get a job even with a 2:1 from a top twenty uni?
    Much easier than without a degree from any university :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Unless you know what you want to study, then dont apply. Its basically denying someone a place who really wants to go and study something just so you may have more job prospects. I dont mean to sound mean or spiteful, but thats my opinion.

Look through some prospectuses/course guides and pick some which you think might interest you, then apply to universities if you find one!

=)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    It saddens me to see higher education abused like this.
    The best way to increase the GDP of the UK.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    P.
    i'm doing geophyics at a top 20 uni - that's pretty piss. I'm on course for a 2:1 when i do **** all, all year, and i crap last minute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EM(Lin))
    Regardless of which degree, if any, you end up doing (and have fun getting into a top 20 university with no interest in... well, anything, judging by your post), do you really think you'll get a job in law with that attitude? Good luck with that :facepalm:
    Anyone can fake an 'attitude' or interest though, the people who are best at interviews/ personal statements are the people who are best at writing convincingly and acting confident not the most passionate.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.