Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    Maths would be the lowest work-load I would think and if you're good at it you could get through it quickly, but you really need to think of what you're good at and you'll find which is easiest. For example if you're not that good at maths you will flop.
    Dont forget motivation - if you have no motivation you will flop!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    The alternative's getting stoned every morning watching scrubs claiming jobseekers. I'd prefer to waste the space for three years then get a nice job, than spend the next three years turning into a habitual drug user. Going to university to get a good job is a perfectly acceptable reason to go lol.
    Meh, if that's your only alternative then you won't get very far anyway - which is why it's even worse that you'd waste a space that could go to someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadigmShift)
    I lol'd at how you think you might want to go into the Law with an attitude like that. Face reality, if you want to do something like that then you need to work like maniac. If not, just do something more productive during the next 3 years rather than being a waste of space and money.
    I can't be a lawyer without a degree. Or really any high payed job. So not going to uni would do little for me. I'll pay my loans back, hardly a waste.

Productive like what. I wouldn't get a job that wouldn't stimulate me, or without the prospect of quick promotion or high pay. In terms of money I'd take from the taxpayer and money I would in future put back in, university is the most productive option.

(Original post by EM(Lin))
    Regardless of which degree, if any, you end up doing (and have fun getting into a top 20 university with no interest in... well, anything, judging by your post), do you really think you'll get a job in law with that attitude? Good luck with that
    Very few universities interview, and I'm competent enough in english to write an interested personal statement.

Most lawyers want to be lawyers, not academics. I'm interested in money, people and things. All of this educational rubbish I've been doing for most of my life and will continue to do for another 4 years or so is only the means to those ends. As is, ultimately, any job I get in the future.

ReputationRep:
    If you're too lazy to do a 'hard' subject I doubt you will manage to get a 2.1, let alone get a job at law firm or in finance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nonbeatific)
    It doesn't sound like university is for you. If you don't choose something which you love to study, there is a pretty high chance you will drop out and fail. Looking for the easiest degree course is not how you should be going about choosing a course.
    University is where you go to get pissed and then get a good job at the end of it. It is exactly where the op wants to go. It's not hard to do well at uni, I myself did well even though I played WoW for up to 10 hours a day during my finals.

ReputationRep:
    Hey TSR, what's the easiest degree to do at a top 20 uni (by easiest I mean the least amount of work to get a 2:1). I'm not going to university for love of the subject, and I'm not academic at all. Sadly one has to go to university to get a good job (so many people go employers think you're stupid otherwise). I'm probably going to go into management or finance or law, so something like civil engineering would be pretty useless. The only strict sciences I'd consider doing are Maths and Physics. I can't do a language. Otherwise I can do pretty much anything. I'm lazy as hell, so a large volume (relatively) of work isn't going to get me anywhere. I'm pretty clever, I don't mind a 'hard' subject, but I don't want a heavy subject that'll interfere with everything else I plan to be doing at uni.

Also preferably not a course that will have many of the following on: animal rights activists, labour supporters, vegans, metrosexual homosexuals and feminists (if of course these people gravitate to a particular type of course).

Thanks
    P.
    Take maths or physics then judging by the bold above. Definitely don't take an arts or humanities subject as these are full of the above. I would say maths is easier to get a first or 2.1 in as you don't have to do any grueling lab work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Scotsman)
    University is where you go to get pissed and then get a good job at the end of it. It is exactly where the op wants to go. It's not hard to do well at uni, I myself did well even though I played WoW for up to 10 hours a day during my finals.
    Nice. Where did you go and what did you do? What did you leave with? What are you doing now?

If the next four years of my life are that easy I'm sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wesssty)
    Why would you attempt to study something you don't enjoy?
    The bigger picture. 40 years at work, 3 years at uni, and uni goes really quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    As someone who did almost no work in AS maths, I can agree with you. I was 4 marks from an A despite low attendance, and the main reason why I did so well is because of my raw ability in the subject. Needless to say I resat a paper so I could try and up the B to an A.
    And may I say this continues into uni as well.

ReputationRep:
    Being prepared to put in the minimum amount of effort into getting a 2:1 means exactly that. I'll do enough work to get a 2:1. I want to find the thing that takes the least work, but once I've found it, I have no problem doing that minimal amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patricko)
    Nice. Where did you go and what did you do? What did you leave with? What are you doing now?

If the next four years of my life are that easy I'm sorted.
    I did maths at Warwick. First class honours.
    Training as a chartered accountant now. I suppose it didn't seem easy at the time, but you end up only remembering the best bits. With maths it's quite easy to get through with a bit of talent and a very good memory. Just memorising techniques and answers from past papers can get you a long way at uni. Basically a continuation of A level.

ReputationRep:
    Don't aim for a top 20 uni
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Easiest as in least amount of time? That's quite a strange way of measuring difficulty. Maybe the complexity of the material should be taken in to account... and you can make any subject, including something like film studies, very complex if you want to... However, on a subjective judgement, I would say something like Media studies. They all take different skills though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jemmmy)
    Don't aim for a top 20 uni
    Why not? Are you saying people should aim for a bottom 40 uni?

ReputationRep:
    You will fail at life if you have the attitude of "whats easiest?"
    I'm surprised your not on or thought about going on the dole.

ReputationRep:
    Hey TSR, what's the easiest degree to do at a top 20 uni (by easiest I mean the least amount of work to get a 2:1). I'm not going to university for love of the subject, and I'm not academic at all. Sadly one has to go to university to get a good job (so many people go employers think you're stupid otherwise). I'm probably going to go into management or finance or law, so something like civil engineering would be pretty useless. The only strict sciences I'd consider doing are Maths and Physics. I can't do a language. Otherwise I can do pretty much anything. I'm lazy as hell, so a large volume (relatively) of work isn't going to get me anywhere. I'm pretty clever, I don't mind a 'hard' subject, but I don't want a heavy subject that'll interfere with everything else I plan to be doing at uni.

Also preferably not a course that will have many of the following on: animal rights activists, labour supporters, vegans, metrosexual homosexuals and feminists (if of course these people gravitate to a particular type of course).

Thanks
    P.
    First off I really enjoyed your honesty. It makes a refreshing change from people who are "passionate about their subject" - not that that is wrong in any way whatsoever, just repetitive to the outsider.

I would suggest you do something maths-based as it is very useful for what you want to do later, and you don't have to write essays, which takes up time. You will also have more contact hours which will ensure that you do some work - with arts subjects you might be tempted into not doing any work for long stretches of time. If you are naturally clever and good at maths you should do reasonably well without having to work too hard. However, just to be safe, I would couple it with another subject so that you have a backup choice in case you get really depressed doing a lot of maths or realise you're not that good at it.

So I would suggest you do Joint Honours in
    Mathematics and Economics/Finance/Business
    Mathematics and a language (ab initio; I would suggest: Italian=very easy), or Drama or Music (would increase workload though)
    Mathematics and Computing (if you have some programming skills that should be fine)
    Mathematics and Philosophy/Sociology/Psychology/Law (this will increase workload a bit due to essays)

Many unis offer Joint Honours programs, including oxford (maths&philosophy), durham, Leeds, Birmingham, RHUL, and so on, and you can often (not always) weight your degree more towards one of the subjects in later years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Why not? Are you saying people should aim for a bottom 40 uni?
    Someone who doesn't want to put the time or effort in and wants an 'easy' degree is more likely to find it at a less prestigious uni.

ReputationRep:
    Just do Business and Management or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    Nah, Medicine is quite the opposite; pretty easy content wise but a hell of a lot of content.

Maybe try Maths - if you can get to grips with it the work load isn't bad.
    I think it was a joke

ReputationRep:
    I can't do a language. Otherwise I can do pretty much anything.

Thanks
    P.
    Ha you sound like an out and out t**ser, I like you

Maybe Economics at
    Luffbrah or Imperial ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.