Turn on thread page Beta

WS4SB vs Bill Stars Vs Smolov for big squat/bench watch

ReputationRep:
    I considering starting a new programme to primarily improve my bench and squat... and I'm picking from the list above. Has anyone done bill stars/can compare it to the others??

Smolov is tempting but I want my bench to go up too.... and the problem with westside is that our gym has no bands/chains/trap bar.. which is ok but would mean I'd hav to rotate between bench, close grip and dips for ME upper and on ME lower between box squat, squat and DL... (also means i need to learn box squat)

Has anyone done smolov whilst improving their bench, or done bill stars??

ReputationRep:
    they're all completely different

starrs (if you're talking about madcows) focusses on linear progression with med/high volume

Westside for skinnys is better suited towards athletes, but still great for anyone. Incorporates speed/repetition as well as max effort - different principles to that of bill starr's

smolov is not a long term plan, focusses on insane volume - works well for the lift you're doing it on, but the others won't gain much, if anything.

I'd say jump onto starrs, make the most of linear progression

ReputationRep:
    well its a lil different, but don't you think increasing the weight for PB on main lifts every week is at the core of stars and WS - on monday on stars you try beating last weeks, and on westside your supposed to break your PB once a week as well, i appreciate the volume/split is different? I'm looking at intermediate stars.. dunno what its called... you basically increase weight by 2.5% every week. Also i don't understand why the 1st 4 weeks are under your 5rm?? Also is it still called linear progression if its weekly rather than every session?

Idk if I can improve on stars I havn't linearly progressed for quite a long ******* time ~~. have u done madcows? If so what was ur experience of it.

(Original post by commandant)
    they're all completely different

starrs (if you're talking about madcows) focusses on linear progression with med/high volume

Westside for skinnys is better suited towards athletes, but still great for anyone. Incorporates speed/repetition as well as max effort - different principles to that of bill starr's

smolov is not a long term plan, focusses on insane volume - works well for the lift you're doing it on, but the others won't gain much, if anything.

I'd say jump onto starrs, make the most of linear progression

ReputationRep:
    Hmm heres my 2 cents, having ran westside and starrs/madcow, but not smolov.

Smolov is probobly better for squat, or just 1 particular lift, and is veryy high intensity, and is difficult due to the high volume.

Westside is more for athletes, including speed/repetition days, so probobly only useful if your playing some kind of sport.

Starrs/madcow would be what I suggest to improve squat/dl/bench, it worked a treat for me, vastly improving my lifts. You may think your lifting too little for the first 4 weeks but stick with it, cos the gains are very very good.

ReputationRep:
    Ok its setteld.... though its weird lifting such light weight for 4 weeks...

Btw did you get microplates?? And what was your progression like? over the 9 weeks? did you reset and start again after week 9?

(Original post by Khanage)
    Hmm heres my 2 cents, having ran westside and starrs/madcow, but not smolov.

Smolov is probobly better for squat, or just 1 particular lift, and is veryy high intensity, and is difficult due to the high volume.

Westside is more for athletes, including speed/repetition days, so probobly only useful if your playing some kind of sport.

Starrs/madcow would be what I suggest to improve squat/dl/bench, it worked a treat for me, vastly improving my lifts. You may think your lifting too little for the first 4 weeks but stick with it, cos the gains are very very good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    Ok its setteld.... though its weird lifting such light weight for 4 weeks...

Btw did you get microplates?? And what was your progression like? over the 9 weeks? did you reset and start again after week 9?
    The light lifting is needed trust me, it'll be weird at first, but it sets you up to make PB's for the next few weeks!

Nope no microplates, just increased by 2.5kg (2x 1.25kg plates) every time.

Off the top of my head... Bench didnt improve greatly, but thats just cos I'd always had quite a high bench.

However squat improved by like 20/30, deadlift by 30/40, press by 10/20, and power clean by like 20ishkg.

It's a good programme with a solid base and ensures you will definitly get PB's! Dont think I made it to 9 weeks, started stalling bench about week 5-6, but squat and deadlift just kept on going. Nah i didnt reset, i changed programme. Kinda wish i did just reset and carry on though!

ReputationRep:
    Did you manage to improve your squat 1rm? I think you were hovering around 160 or something last time?

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The light lifting is needed trust me, it'll be weird at first, but it sets you up to make PB's for the next few weeks!

Off the top of my head... Bench didnt improve greatly, but thats just cos I'd always had quite a high bench.

However squat improved by like 20/30, deadlift by 30/40, press by 10/20, and power clean by like 20ishkg.

It's a good programme with a solid base and ensures you will definitly get PB's! Dont think I made it to 9 weeks, started stalling bench about week 5-6, but squat and deadlift just kept on going. Nah i didnt reset, i changed programme. Kinda wish i did just reset and carry on though!
    Which bill starrs program did you follow?

ReputationRep:
    Can you choose between press and incline? and I'm guessing you did PC instead of row? I know what you mean by bench... Takes me a month to move 2.5kg.... not because mines high.. just cos im **** at it ~~

ReputationRep:
    i got fairly good squat gains using a modified version of westside, rather than do speed work and dynamic effort days did repitiion instead, as far as bench, i've always been crap so i wouldn't know

smolovs will likely help your deadlift, but trying to bench in addition to squat with all that volume will seriously butcher recovery

as for which is best its up to you and what works best meaning that you put 2.5kg on a week

ReputationRep:
    naw went on holiday to hong kong... took me best part of a week to find a gym with barbells, and only went 4 times in 3 weeks... was just looking to maintain. Hk is full of gayboys/men... i started squatting 3 plates and this PT comes behind and starts spotting me and caressing my pecs.

Back to training... I took creatine for first time in ages... and got 140 for 5 pretty comfortably... hope this cycle will get me to 4 plate single (thats the dream anyway)

(Original post by cowsforsale)
    Did you manage to improve your squat 1rm? I think you were hovering around 160 or something last time?

ReputationRep:
    do ppl think squatting with anything... in basketball shoes will slow down progress? I'm so used to it.. and My back feels ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Which bill starrs program did you follow?
    http://www.wackyhq.com/madcow5x5/geo...Linear_5x5.htm

Has an awesome excel doc which works out all the weights for you too!

Did miltary press and subbed rows for power cleans.

(Original post by redbuthotter)
    Can you choose between press and incline? and I'm guessing you did PC instead of row? I know what you mean by bench... Takes me a month to move 2.5kg.... not because mines high.. just cos im **** at it ~~
    Yup, i did press and yup, subbed power cleans for rows, more explosive power move, useful for rugby players such as myself.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.