Turn on thread page Beta

what do you think of bleached hair? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by livvyyy)
    and if you have bleached it, what was it like? did it go yellow at first? because i was thinking about bleaching my hair from mid brown.
    Firstly I beg everyone reading this PLEASE DO NOT BLEACH YOUR HAIR YOURSELF!!

Root bleach application has to be done by a professional and I will explain why:-

Bleach contains ammonia and is incredibly strong. To get bleach to lift well you have to use 40 volume peroxide. If you apply 40 vol and ammonia together and apply it yourself you will do so unevenly. The bleach will sit in 'lumps' on your scalp. The ammonia and peroxide together burn and will soften your skin. You ultimately get blisters all over your scalp. Now here is the scary part!! If those blisters burn deep they will kill your follicle and you will permanently lose your hair in that area! That isn't an old wives tale - bleach and 40 volume can make people bald if applied badly!

As for how bleached hair looks, I think it can look really striking if you have the right cut. Pink's short hair looks great bleached blonde, but it can look tacky if the hair is longer.

Also, when you bleach hair the keratin is exposed (which is yellow). Therefore you have to always use platinum shampoos to keep the hair pure blonde and stop it going brassy. If your hair is very dark (as mine is) if you bleach the hair blonde (which I have done with my hair in the past) after about 5 days it looks as though someone has drawn along your scalp with black pen - as the new re-growth appears like stubble. You can't have this re-growth done until there is enough growth to miss your scalp when re-applying. If you overlap bleach (during re-growth application) the hair breaks off!!

I never use bleach on the scalp. What I do is apply high lifting ash tints to the re-growth every few weeks and every couple of months apply tons of bleach foils. This is how most celebrities with 'white blonde' hair achieve their look. You only get the roots to a medium to lightish golden blonde with the tint, but the highlights make the hair appear pretty pale blonde.

Also, clients can do these roots themselves as its safe to apply highlift tint at home. Then I just apply foils every couple of months to keep hair looking pale blonde.

Before any of you ask. If you were wanting to achieve a bleach blonde look on a natural hair type at home. Here is what I would suggest. Firstly:-

If your hair is naturally blonde to dark blonde, you can skip any bleaching and go straight to using a highlifting Platinium tint such as Preference or Feria. Your hair will lift up fine without any need for bleach. However you need to be a blonde naturally. Tip is - if your hair goes really light in the sun you can use high lifting tint.

if your hair is light brown to black you will need to pre-lighten. You can apply pre-lightening kits to your whole head (as the peroxide strength is below 40) however they won't lift up in one hit. You will need to invest in a few kits. Also, you will have to suffer orange hair over a few days as you can't do it all on one day. Here is what you do:-

1) Apply the bleach lightening kit and develop to maximum recommended time. If your hair is light brown it will go yellow if your hair is black it will go red orange. If your hair goes yellow (pale yellow) you can then go straight to the Platinum high lift tint and apply this. This product will lift up the remaining hair by a couple of shade and tone it cool.

2) However, if your hair has gone red orange, wash several times in Boots build up removing shampoo and leave it for 24 hours to calm down. So wear a cap if you go out!! if your scalp feels dry rub a little olive oil into it before you go to bed, but make sure you wash your hair again in the morning with the Boots shampoo to remove it.

3) Next day apply a fresh application of the pre-lightener to your hair. This should get your red orange hair yellow and you can then apply the platinum high lift colourant. If your hair still looks orange after this colour application you will need to pre-lighten again the next day.

4) Once you get to yellow blonde, you can apply that platinium lightening tint. Make sure you buy Lee Stafford's bleach blonde shampoo and conditioning products. These are perfect for keeping the hair toned and soft.

After a couple of weeks when you have a thin regrowth strap. You can apply the highlift tint directly to your roots. As long as you have around a centimetre of roots (and nothing more) your regrowth will lift up to a golden light blonde. If you have thick re-growth the heat from the scalp won't be able to accelorate the lift as much and your roots may go coppery.

Finally, only attempt this on short hair. If your hair is long and you pre-lighten at home like this it won't be able to take it and will turn to gum and straw!

So be warned!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottCornwall)
    Firstly I beg everyone reading this PLEASE DO NOT BLEACH YOUR HAIR YOURSELF!!

Root bleach application has to be done by a professional and I will explain why:-

Bleach contains ammonia and is incredibly strong. To get bleach to lift well you have to use 40 volume peroxide. If you apply 40 vol and ammonia together and apply it yourself you will do so unevenly. The bleach will sit in 'lumps' on your scalp. The ammonia and peroxide together burn and will soften your skin. You ultimately get blisters all over your scalp. Now here is the scary part!! If those blisters burn deep they will kill your follicle and you will permanently lose your hair in that area! That isn't an old wives tale - bleach and 40 volume can make people bald if applied badly!

As for how bleached hair looks, I think it can look really striking if you have the right cut. Pink's short hair looks great bleached blonde, but it can look tacky if the hair is longer.

Also, when you bleach hair the keratin is exposed (which is yellow). Therefore you have to always use platinum shampoos to keep the hair pure blonde and stop it going brassy. If your hair is very dark (as mine is) if you bleach the hair blonde (which I have done with my hair in the past) after about 5 days it looks as though someone has drawn along your scalp with black pen - as the new re-growth appears like stubble. You can't have this re-growth done until there is enough growth to miss your scalp when re-applying. If you overlap bleach (during re-growth application) the hair breaks off!!

I never use bleach on the scalp. What I do is apply high lifting ash tints to the re-growth every few weeks and every couple of months apply tons of bleach foils. This is how most celebrities with 'white blonde' hair achieve their look. You only get the roots to a medium to lightish golden blonde with the tint, but the highlights make the hair appear pretty pale blonde.

Also, clients can do these roots themselves as its safe to apply highlift tint at home. Then I just apply foils every couple of months to keep hair looking pale blonde.

Before any of you ask. If you were wanting to achieve a bleach blonde look on a natural hair type at home. Here is what I would suggest. Firstly:-

If your hair is naturally blonde to dark blonde, you can skip any bleaching and go straight to using a highlifting Platinium tint such as Preference or Feria. Your hair will lift up fine without any need for bleach. However you need to be a blonde naturally. Tip is - if your hair goes really light in the sun you can use high lifting tint.

if your hair is light brown to black you will need to pre-lighten. You can apply pre-lightening kits to your whole head (as the peroxide strength is below 40) however they won't lift up in one hit. You will need to invest in a few kits. Also, you will have to suffer orange hair over a few days as you can't do it all on one day. Here is what you do:-

1) Apply the bleach lightening kit and develop to maximum recommended time. If your hair is light brown it will go yellow if your hair is black it will go red orange. If your hair goes yellow (pale yellow) you can then go straight to the Platinum high lift tint and apply this. This product will lift up the remaining hair by a couple of shade and tone it cool.

2) However, if your hair has gone red orange, wash several times in Boots build up removing shampoo and leave it for 24 hours to calm down. So wear a cap if you go out!! if your scalp feels dry rub a little olive oil into it before you go to bed, but make sure you wash your hair again in the morning with the Boots shampoo to remove it.

3) Next day apply a fresh application of the pre-lightener to your hair. This should get your red orange hair yellow and you can then apply the platinum high lift colourant. If your hair still looks orange after this colour application you will need to pre-lighten again the next day.

4) Once you get to yellow blonde, you can apply that platinium lightening tint. Make sure you buy Lee Stafford's bleach blonde shampoo and conditioning products. These are perfect for keeping the hair toned and soft.

After a couple of weeks when you have a thin regrowth strap. You can apply the highlift tint directly to your roots. As long as you have around a centimetre of roots (and nothing more) your regrowth will lift up to a golden light blonde. If you have thick re-growth the heat from the scalp won't be able to accelorate the lift as much and your roots may go coppery.

Finally, only attempt this on short hair. If your hair is long and you pre-lighten at home like this it won't be able to take it and will turn to gum and straw!

So be warned!
    Wow that was an amazing answer!! So informative! I was planning on doing it before I got to college to minimise everyone's shocked reactions (so in a few months) thanks for telling me the shampoo to get rid of the brassy tones. I will use that if i am doing it at home, though I will probably get it done professionally.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.